Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #21

https://youtu.be/3QrONikmUNI

They own their own factory. Talk about QC.
ArmyOfSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #22

Just an idea.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211112_121141.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	266299Click image for larger version

Name:	20211112_121205.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	266300
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:14 PM   #23

Man its hard to argue with that price tag lmao. Can you jump start a vehicle with a gas generator?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #24
Someimes Re- member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfSquirrels View Post
Yes this generator has the battery bank of 300AH (which can be extended to a whooping 25kWH/2,083.3AH converted at 12V) with a 3600W pure sine invertor (something I only have a 1000W in the TT) I was looking at getting the honda gens but would need either the one 135 lb one or two 54lb 2200i. This invertor has and can power the 30A plug with just this single unit coming in at 100lbs with wheels and a built in luggage style handle. I also found out this company was founded in 2017 by DJI employees who worked on making the drone batteries lighter and more powerful while lasting longer. It can be charged by 6 different methods to include WIND, while also supporting multicharge so you can stack the inputs to charge faster it said up to 6500W. This would set me back about $3500 with a $200 off coupon for signing up for the return to stock notification. I could always add the battery bank to the trailer later as a nice back up. I could get away with one BB on the trailer for now right?

https://ecoflow.com/products/ecoflow...-power-station

If you use the Eco Flow to power your TT, the process will be: 1- Charge the Eco Flow (What will your power source be if you are boondocking?) 2- Use the Eco flow to INvert its 300 AH DC to 120V AC to power your TT. (this will involve a significant % efficiency LOSS in the DC to AC INversion) 3- Your TT will then CONvert the 120V AC from the Eco Flow back to DC for use by the TT (Incurring another significant % efficiency LOSS)

You will eventually STILL NEED a source of power (Multiple?) to charge the Eco Flow, AND you will be incurring a DOUBLY significant % efficiency LOSS to use that power. It seems like a merry go round to me (at $3500), why not just invest in the Lithium batteries you think you will need in the TT, and avoid the 100lb weight and inefficiency of the Eco FLow. I am guessing that the Eco Flow was NOT designed for this constant use scenario, but as a back-up system for home use. Just my opinion, do what you will.
Old Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
If you use the Eco Flow to power your TT, the process will be: 1- Charge the Eco Flow (What will your power source be if you are boondocking?) 2- Use the Eco flow to Convert its 300 AH DC to 120V AC to power your TT. (this will involve a significant % efficiency LOSS in the DC to AC conversion) 3- Your TT will then Convert the 120V AC from the Eco Flow back to DC for use by the TT (Incurring another significant % efficiency LOSS)

You will eventually STILL NEED a source of power (Multiple?) to charge the Eco Flow, AND you will be incurring a DOUBLY significant % efficiency LOSS to use that power. It seems like a merry go round to me (at $3500), why not just invest in the Lithium batteries you think you will need in the TT, and avoid the 100lb weight and inefficiency of the Eco FLow. I am guessing that the Eco Flow was NOT designed for this constant use scenario, but as a back-up system for home use. Just my opinion, do what you will.
This does make sense. I have the space in the trailer to put a small battery bank and the roof rack I took off because I wanted to put more solar up top. The price and performance would be the same around about. I saw this they offer which should work for any solar set up correct? Place it in the best place possible for each stop.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:59 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
That generator is LOUD and inappropriate for campground usage. I have the gas version of that generator and I would never use it in a campground. It's fine for camping in the desert or at motor races though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #27

Calling All Nobo Owners S.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That generator is LOUD and inappropriate for campground usage. I have the gas version of that generator and I would never use it in a campground. It's fine for camping in the desert or at motor races though.

They make another dual fuel 4500W generator that is very quiet (one has remote start, the other has battery starting).
These are not the externally framed generator shown, and are twice as much, worth it, and well reviewed, rolling, but heavy. See ‘Champion Power Equipment 200988 4500-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator, Electric Start’ on Amazon or wherever fine gear is sold.
Richard Dietzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #28

Aha, nevermind on that thing... 2600 just for the tracker. Hopefully prices will drop in the next 20 years lol.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 AM   #29

Quote:
define campground. Are we talking RV park? or like your state parks with some space and nature around you? I would be more inclined to use it in a RV park than a campsite. Desert is on my list to get to so that would be nice. But I was talked out of it. I'm gonna invest in the buffing up the trailers solar since I already have it and that would avoid a well put merry go round effect of charging / refueling to power the trailer. The proper invertor and battery bank with a couple panels will provide on board power enough to boondock off of. Secondly that would be super quite as well so buy once cry once right?

I'm sure some of the campground limit the hours of gens right?
Old 12-01-2021, 01:37 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
define campground. Are we talking RV park? or like your state parks with some space and nature around you? I would be more inclined to use it in a RV park than a campsite. Desert is on my list to get to so that would be nice. But I was talked out of it. I'm gonna invest in the buffing up the trailers solar since I already have it and that would avoid a well put merry go round effect of charging / refueling to power the trailer. The proper invertor and battery bank with a couple panels will provide on board power enough to boondock off of. Secondly that would be super quite as well so buy once cry once right?

I'm sure some of the campground limit the hours of gens right?
That generator isn't appropriate in a RV park or a state/national/county park. I don't know of any RV park that allow generators since every RV park I've ever stayed in, had electric hookups. Never heard of a RV park with no electric hookups. And never been in any campground that didn't have limited generator hours. But I've been in many public campgrounds in the West, that had no hookups of any kind. Like the California State Parks system or most National Parks.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #31

Quote:
That generator isn't appropriate in a RV park or a state/national/county park. I don't know of any RV park that allow generators since every RV park I've ever stayed in, had electric hookups. Never heard of a RV park with no electric hookups. And never been in any campground that didn't have limited generator hours. But I've been in many public campgrounds in the West, that had no hookups of any kind. Like the California State Parks system or most National Parks.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
Good to know. My point for going camping is to detox from other people lol
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #32

Forced air heating is what kills the battery. Consider upgrading to a heater without a fan such as the Camco Olympian Wave. Just remember it needs ventilation if you install one.
https://www.camco.net/olympian-wave-...-btu-htr-57341
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Forced air heating is what kills the battery. Consider upgrading to a heater without a fan such as the Camco Olympian Wave. Just remember it needs ventilation if you install one.
https://www.camco.net/olympian-wave-...-btu-htr-57341
My bad, I see someone already made this suggestion.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #34
Someimes Re- member

Quote:
This does make sense. I have the space in the trailer to put a small battery bank and the roof rack I took off because I wanted to put more solar up top. The price and performance would be the same around about.
If your power needs are for most typical TT use (incl/furnace and 12V fridge) one additional 200w solar suitcase and 200-300 AH Lithium batteries would be sufficient in most cases.

If your NEED FOR POWER IS BEYOND what is needed for all TT needs (incl/all night furnace, all day refridge) Such as the need to RUN YOUR AC (or sometimes your Microwave) from your batteries, you will need significantly more power and battery capacity. AC units are huge energy hogs.

Your 13.5k btu AC is wired to ONLY run at 120V AC from a circuit breaker on the AC side of your CONverter/Charger. It will probably require 1600-1900 watts (at 120V AC) when running (depends on ambient temp). To provide this you will need a MINIMUM 2,000 watt INverter (perhaps more to account for inefficiency) to power it from your 13±V Lithium battery, this will drain your battery at (2000w /13±V =) ±140-150 Amps per Hr (AH).

As you can see, you will deplete your 200-300 AH Lithium battery in ±2 hrs of run time. To provide this much energy you will likely need ±2000 watts of solar capacity to offset the AC during the daytime, and probably 4-500 AH of battery. Also you would need a LARGER INverter (ideally 2500-3000 watt, your TT has a 1000 watt), and you would have to rewire the AC to run from that INverter rather than from the AC side of your CONverter/Charger, this would be a major project. The same goes for running your MW from your battery.

As others have suggested, to solve this dilemma, most people use a QUIET generator to power their AC or MW when not at a plug-in site, but it is still very annoying to your camping neighbors. Most campgorund restrict generator use to ±8AM to ±5PM.

Personally I only use the AC when I have 120V shore power (plug-in) available, otherwise everything else runs from my 190w of solar on the roof, and when in shade or cloudy weather by adding my 200w portable solar and 250AH Lithium Battery. Simple, no hassle, very low maintenance, and -0- set-up time.

I have NOT needed a generator so far in 8 wks of TT camping all over the southwest and western US from Mar to Oct. If you plan to camp in other areas you will need to take the local weather into account. Your needs WILL vary from mine.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
If your power needs are for most typical TT use (incl/furnace and 12V fridge) one additional 200w solar suitcase and 200-300 AH Lithium batteries would be sufficient in most cases.

If your NEED FOR POWER IS BEYOND what is needed for all TT needs (incl/all night furnace, all day refridge) Such as the need to RUN YOUR AC (or sometimes your Microwave) from your batteries, you will need significantly more power and battery capacity. AC units are huge energy hogs.

Your 13.5k btu AC is wired to ONLY run at 120V AC from a circuit breaker on the AC side of your CONverter/Charger. It will probably require 1600-1900 watts (at 120V AC) when running (depends on ambient temp). To provide this you will need a MINIMUM 2,000 watt INverter (perhaps more to account for inefficiency) to power it from your 13±V Lithium battery, this will drain your battery at (2000w /13±V =) ±140-150 Amps per Hr (AH).

As you can see, you will deplete your 200-300 AH Lithium battery in ±2 hrs of run time. To provide this much energy you will likely need ±2000 watts of solar capacity to offset the AC during the daytime, and probably 4-500 AH of battery. Also you would need a LARGER INverter (ideally 2500-3000 watt, your TT has a 1000 watt), and you would have to rewire the AC to run from that INverter rather than from the AC side of your CONverter/Charger, this would be a major project. The same goes for running your MW from your battery.

As others have suggested, to solve this dilemma, most people use a QUIET generator to power their AC or MW when not at a plug-in site, but it is still very annoying to your camping neighbors. Most campgorund restrict generator use to ±8AM to ±5PM.

Personally I only use the AC when I have 120V shore power (plug-in) available, otherwise everything else runs from my 190w of solar on the roof, and when in shade or cloudy weather by adding my 200w portable solar and 250AH Lithium Battery. Simple, no hassle, very low maintenance, and -0- set-up time.

I have NOT needed a generator so far in 8 wks of TT camping all over the southwest and western US from Mar to Oct. If you plan to camp in other areas you will need to take the local weather into account. Your needs WILL vary from mine.
Well the plan is to make multiple trips to various places to include AK at some point even though I hate the cold I have to see the breath taking beauty for myself once in my lifetime. I took pics of everything I got in the trailer stock but they don't want to add to the forum from the computer. I'll try again later. I plugged the trailer into the house and with the battery fully charged its giving me a 5Ah estimate.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #36

Sticker for the fridge, lable for the invertor. Label for the battery. Pics of the charging panel after plugging in to the house. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161304.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	266316Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161517.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	266317Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161908.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	266318Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161410.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	266319Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161405.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	266320Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_161400.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	266321
Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #37
Someimes Re- member

Quote:
Sticker for the fridge, lable for the invertor. Label for the battery. Pics of the charging panel after plugging in to the house.
Squirrels,

Your GoPower Solar Charge Controller is ONLY showing the output from your Solar Panel, nothing else.

To get complete information on you power system (Solar & CONverter/Charge output) you will need a Battery Monitor with SHUNT. I recommend the Renogy RBM500. It displays a lot of info at once without having to scroll thru setting like most others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Renogy RBM500 Battery Monitor Display.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	266324

It appears your Battery is a automotive battery, they are NOT designed for TT/RV useage (you will note that it doesn't show it's AH capacity).

To get the most complete info on the equipment in your TT find the "Build Sheet" included with your purchase documents. It will show all equipment included, Manuf., Model#, Serial#, build plant#, & build date. For power useage and operation details consult the manuals included for most of your equipment (or online).
Old 12-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #38

Talking

Quote:
Squirrels,

Your GoPower Solar Charge Controller is ONLY showing the output from your Solar Panel, nothing else.

To get complete information on you power system (Solar & CONverter/Charge output) you will need a Battery Monitor with SHUNT. I recommend the Renogy RBM500. It displays a lot of info at once without having to scroll thru setting like most others.

Attachment 266324

It appears your Battery is a automotive battery, they are NOT designed for TT/RV useage (you will note that it doesn't show it's AH capacity).

To get the most complete info on the equipment in your TT find the "Build Sheet" included with your purchase documents. It will show all equipment included, Manuf., Model#, Serial#, build plant#, & build date. For power useage and operation details consult the manuals included for most of your equipment (or online).
Thanks again there. Yea the dealership I'm taking it to in March said they install 2 12V batteries on these trailers. I have been so dissappointed in my dealership I won't even take it back I called Forest river directly and they directed me to Keystone as the place that will take care of me and treat me right. So far they have been very helpful in the process they are even checking on the costs to swap out the electric only fridge for the dual power one. As I've expressed my displeasure with my experience with my unit so far. As soon as I looked and saw it was an advance auto battery I was like idiots. I wouldn't even want them working on my enemies vehicles at this point I think youtube knows more than that dealership lmao.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #39

So the 1000W invertor could be replaced by one like this and run the heavier draw appliances correct? Renogy 3000 Watt 12V DC to 120V AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger w/LCD Display, 3000W, Lithium Battery Compatibility 9000W Surge
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-PCL1-3...07PNGVMZK&th=1

I'm going to warn you now, I have no knowledge of solar as I've proven haha so I will need to be directed to calculators and such cause math was never my jazz except geometerty I'm a visual learner hands on that kinda stuff math and books never held my attention and once you mix in the alphabet with numbers I'm SOL. Lmao.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #40

since I can't figure out how to attach pictures to the PMs. I'm just going to keep this thread public record and hey; who knows maybe this Coyote will teach this Squirrel a thing or two lmao. Stay tuned to find out...