Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

Choosing between 16.6 and 19.3 to tow with my 2006 land Cruiser 100.

Hello, my first post on this forum, glad to be a member!

I'm trying to decide between the nobo 16.6 or 19.3, and I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners. we are planning to use this trailer strictly for off grid camping. My 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser, has a 6500 pound towing capacity but I have about 750 pounds of modifications on it including front and rear steel bumpers, sliders, a rooftop tent and larger tires. My first question is, has anyone off roaded with their nobo trailers? nothing extreme, mostly fire roads and an occasional boulder, ditch of washout?

I am leaning towards the 19.3 largely because it's slightly larger area and can accommodate more people, we are a family of 4 and i could see 4-7 people sleeping in the trailer. I really like the dual axles versus single axle. it seems to come with the roof rack where I believe the 16.6 doe not? lastly, of the videos I watched, it seems like they have placed the gray and black tank lines, further towards the corners of the 16.6 trailer lowering the approach and departure angles? I believe the advantage to the 16.6 is it will be more manuverable, 700 lbs less, and lower purchase price.

So my questions are;
any thoughts on my land cruiser towing the 19.3 off road? or possibly the 16.6? I have never off roaded with a travel trailer. which trailer would you recommend for my intended uses? and lastly, overall, what is your experience been with the quality of the nobo trailers, any mechanical issues or structural issues with the trailers?
offgrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

To start, look at the sticker in the driver's door jam and get the carfgo capacity. Next, subtract your 750 pounds of TV add-ons. I would worry more about towing on the highway than I would off because of marginal power, suspension, and braking capacity.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
To start, look at the sticker in the driver's door jam and get the carfgo capacity. Next, subtract your 750 pounds of TV add-ons. I would worry more about towing on the highway than I would off because of marginal power, suspension, and braking capacity.
Thanks for the quick response. The cargo capacity is 1500 pounds so I have 750 pounds left. Family of 4+ gear will come in at another 600 lbs. So I am at the limit of the cargo capacity, however, I have upgraded the suspension, I will probably add some more horsepower to it, and get a trailer break.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #4

You have admitted to a payload of 1350 pounds which if accurate leaves you 150 pounds remaining. Even the smaller trailer's listed tongue weight (dry) exceeds your remaining payload. Add in a battery and hitch and gear in the trailer and . . . well you get the picture.

If your payload were not a consideration, and if truly going off road were in mind, a longer unit will present more problems than a shorter unit. Off grid but on maintained roads, the longer unit would be more comfortable.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgrid1 View Post
Hello, my first post on this forum, glad to be a member!

I'm trying to decide between the nobo 16.6 or 19.3, and I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners. we are planning to use this trailer strictly for off grid camping. My 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser, has a 6500 pound towing capacity but I have about 750 pounds of modifications on it including front and rear steel bumpers, sliders, a rooftop tent and larger tires. My first question is, has anyone off roaded with their nobo trailers? nothing extreme, mostly fire roads and an occasional boulder, ditch of washout?

I am leaning towards the 19.3 largely because it's slightly larger area and can accommodate more people, we are a family of 4 and i could see 4-7 people sleeping in the trailer. I really like the dual axles versus single axle. it seems to come with the roof rack where I believe the 16.6 doe not? lastly, of the videos I watched, it seems like they have placed the gray and black tank lines, further towards the corners of the 16.6 trailer lowering the approach and departure angles? I believe the advantage to the 16.6 is it will be more manuverable, 700 lbs less, and lower purchase price.

So my questions are;
any thoughts on my land cruiser towing the 19.3 off road? or possibly the 16.6? I have never off roaded with a travel trailer. which trailer would you recommend for my intended uses? and lastly, overall, what is your experience been with the quality of the nobo trailers, any mechanical issues or structural issues with the trailers?
I have a 2016 Tacoma w/tow package (6700#, 550# tongue.) I own a 19.3 as well and won't get into all the technical numbers (someone else most certainly will) but simply put, it really is too much weight for the vehicle. Instead of stressing my Taco, we purchased a used 2008 Tundra w/tow package which is better equipped for towing the 19.3. We are a family of 3 and wanted the extra space of the 19.3 for our son to bring a buddy from time to time. The Tundra handles the 19.3 w/ease although terrible gas mileage.

Regarding the roof rack...I used once for putting kayaks on top...never again. Great idea in theory but wrestling with kayaks that high is just not worth it for this 58 year old. Roof rack on the truck is a much better option, or even better-inflatable kayaks!
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Welcome to the forum... With regards to your tow vehicle, there are many factors that determine cargo or payload capacity. Some of these include axle load rating, frame wall thickness, suspension components, and a dozen other factors. "Upgrading" the suspension does not change the payload capacity.

You'll find that the 1/2 ton trucks with the highest payload ratings are the ones that are lightly optioned. With your Landcruiser you've gone in the other direction.

Hope you're able to figure out the proper vehicle to pull TT that you settle on. Again, welcome to the forum.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:24 AM   #7
Site Team

IMHO, none of FR's trailers are true off-road capable trailers.
In fact, the only ones I've seen that truly off-road capable are made by small boutique companies.
Basic dirt roads maybe but not for true off-road conditions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
You have admitted to a payload of 1350 pounds which if accurate leaves you 150 pounds remaining. Even the smaller trailer's listed tongue weight (dry) exceeds your remaining payload. Add in a battery and hitch and gear in the trailer and . . . well you get the picture.

If your payload were not a consideration, and if truly going off road were in mind, a longer unit will present more problems than a shorter unit. Off grid but on maintained roads, the longer unit would be more comfortable.
Thanks for the input, your points are noted!
Old 03-12-2021, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyAl View Post
I have a 2016 Tacoma w/tow package (6700#, 550# tongue.) I own a 19.3 as well and won't get into all the technical numbers (someone else most certainly will) but simply put, it really is too much weight for the vehicle. Instead of stressing my Taco, we purchased a used 2008 Tundra w/tow package which is better equipped for towing the 19.3. We are a family of 3 and wanted the extra space of the 19.3 for our son to bring a buddy from time to time. The Tundra handles the 19.3 w/ease although terrible gas mileage.

Regarding the roof rack...I used once for putting kayaks on top...never again. Great idea in theory but wrestling with kayaks that high is just not worth it for this 58 year old. Roof rack on the truck is a much better option, or even better-inflatable kayaks!
I looked over the specs, I had no idea the towing capacity could be that high on a Tacoma with a tow package. I知 trying to stay with one adventure vehicle for the family and having a Land Cruiser, I知 trying to stay with it but your point is taken. The thought of buying a half ton and letting it do the hard work has crossed my mind.

I love the idea of a kayak and will probably never actually end up getting one!
Old 03-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Welcome to the forum... With regards to your tow vehicle, there are many factors that determine cargo or payload capacity. Some of these include axle load rating, frame wall thickness, suspension components, and a dozen other factors. "Upgrading" the suspension does not change the payload capacity.

You'll find that the 1/2 ton trucks with the highest payload ratings are the ones that are lightly optioned. With your Landcruiser you've gone in the other direction.

Hope you're able to figure out the proper vehicle to pull TT that you settle on. Again, welcome to the forum.
I致e looked for all sorts of information on how to increase the payload capacity or towing capacity of a vehicle and I think I知 gonna end up outsmarting myself and I should probably let it be, and not mess with it!

I will probably end up renting a 19.3 to see how it pulls On the highway and off grid and make my determination. Given everything I知 hearing hearing, I知 seriously reconsidering the 19 for the 16 series.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
IMHO, none of FR's trailers are true off-road capable trailers.
In fact, the only ones I've seen that truly off-road capable are made by small boutique companies.
Basic dirt roads maybe but not for true off-road conditions.
Agreed, A simple look at the undercarriage shows all the piping and hoses which are vulnerable to rocks and debris on the nobos. I would probably limit my adventure to BLM land and national forests, And mostly maintain fire roads.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Agreed, A simple look at the undercarriage shows all the piping and hoses which are vulnerable to rocks and debris on the nobos. I would probably limit my adventure to BLM land and national forests, And mostly maintain fire roads.
It should fine for that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #13

Umm...

Quote:
It should fine for that.
Umm...Dan, isn't there one model of the NoBo or GeoPro or something called "Extreme" that comes from the factory with bigger tires and a 3-4" lift kit? I've read about them here, can't remember the details. That might be an option for the OP (with perhaps a more robust tow vehicle).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Umm...Dan, isn't there one model of the NoBo or GeoPro or something called "Extreme" that comes from the factory with bigger tires and a 3-4" lift kit? I've read about them here, can't remember the details. That might be an option for the OP (with perhaps a more robust tow vehicle).
The trailers are still not built for true off-road usage. Sure a lift kit will help with clearance but they're still built like any other small TT.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #15

Quote:
The trailers are still not built for true off-road usage. Sure a lift kit will help with clearance but they're still built like any other small TT.
Do you know who makes a lift kit for one of these nobo trailers?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
No
Old 03-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #17

Quote:

Many have written about using lift kits and some have built their own. Search will yield all the info you could ever want. There are some writeups with pictures showing what's involve. Unless you have the tools and the workspace I think this is best done by a trailer service business. I recall etrailer sold some models:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...-Lift_Kit.aspx
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
Many have written about using lift kits and some have built their own. Search will yield all the info you could ever want. There are some writeups with pictures showing what's involve. Unless you have the tools and the workspace I think this is best done by a trailer service business. I recall etrailer sold some models:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...-Lift_Kit.aspx
thanks, i'll take a look!
Old 03-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #19

Landcruiser 100 Series

Your Land Cruiser is equipped better than most 1/2 ton trucks the front and rear axles have 9.375 to 9.5 ring gears and having full time 4x4 drive system. The engine is the 4.7 which the Tundra used to use. I pull a 23 foot Forest River Surveyor with ours. Land Cruisers are under rated and most 1/2 tons are over rated.522
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #20

Yes, I've done a decent amount of research since posting this and it seems the Land Cruiser is well capable of pulling a 4000-pound trailer. I didn't want to get into a bragging session, but the Land Cruiser's are pretty robust and overbuilt from the factory because of the axles you mentioned along with the frame of the vehicle! lastly, I found out that in Australia, after adding certain brands of lift kits on your vehicle, you can actually recertify the vehicle by an engineer, to have more payload capacity then originally specified from the factory. They are typically higher end suspension kits and they are sold as kits, you can't get springs and shocks seperatly...my point being that i believe I've added about 400-500 pounds of payload capacity with the modified suspension I added. Thanks for the feedback!