Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 130
Has Anyone Had Issues With Their Lippert Electric Jack?

I've got a potential problem with the gears on my Lippert electric jack for my NoBo 19.6. My jack on the front of my NoBo has a popping or thumping noise only when I'm lowering the jack on my camper. I believe it's the gears making the noise while lowering the jack but when I'm raising it the jack makes the usual humming sound I've grown use to. I'm afraid the jack may fail to work when I'm at a campsite due to the odd noises it began making after my last trip. Has anyone else had an issue with their Lippert Jack and how did FR handle the warranty work?
From what I've been told by the Couch's RV Warranty group where I purchased my NoBo I first have to take it to a service center in their network about 40 miles away and then if they decide the jack is going bad they will put in a request to FR and then FR will send the issue to Lippert for their approval. The last time I dealt with a FR warranty issue on my NoBo it took a total of 3 months to get the warranty part approved and have the part shipped to my home for its' replacement. So much for any pretense of Customer Service.... BTW, if the gears stop raising or lowering the electric jack will the manual crank still work to connect to my tow vehicle???
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,401
If the jack stops moving because of a problem with the gears then the manual crank will not work either. depending on your level of comfort with the current jack and your camping schedule it might be worth it to buy yourself a much stronger Jack and install it. JMHO
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
I've got a potential problem with the gears on my Lippert electric jack for my NoBo 19.6. My jack on the front of my NoBo has a popping or thumping noise only when I'm lowering the jack on my camper. I believe it's the gears making the noise while lowering the jack but when I'm raising it the jack makes the usual humming sound I've grown use to. I'm afraid the jack may fail to work when I'm at a campsite due to the odd noises it began making after my last trip. Has anyone else had an issue with their Lippert Jack and how did FR handle the warranty work?
From what I've been told by the Couch's RV Warranty group where I purchased my NoBo I first have to take it to a service center in their network about 40 miles away and then if they decide the jack is going bad they will put in a request to FR and then FR will send the issue to Lippert for their approval. The last time I dealt with a FR warranty issue on my NoBo it took a total of 3 months to get the warranty part approved and have the part shipped to my home for its' replacement. So much for any pretense of Customer Service.... BTW, if the gears stop raising or lowering the electric jack will the manual crank still work to connect to my tow vehicle???
Mine will make that noise if I have a long "foot" installed in the tube to extend the reach of the jack. Other than that, I can't be of much help.
The electric tongue jacks I've purchased for previous trailers have been around $80-$100 so I'd just buy a new one and save myself the gas money and the two days it would take in travel and service time.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
clr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hawkins, Texas
Posts: 1,144
The popping sound is a sign that the gears are jumping the teeth. This will only happen for a little while before the teeth begin to start breaking off. I would check out the jack prior to this happening. My slide made the same sound when operating and then the teeth began to break off the gear. I had them replaced (the gear pack) under warranty but it happened again. The bottom line was found to be a missing plastic part that was used by Lippert to ensure that the gears were properly messed. They may use the same system for a trailer jack knowing Lippert.
__________________
Chuck & Sandra
Engineer/Teacher
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,963
Two 80 mile round trips to the dealer? I’d just buy a heavier duty jack and install it myself. Won’t cost much more than the gas, not to mention your time.
__________________
2022 Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 LB Dually
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 21
My Lippert 3500lb jack failed after 2 camping seasons (trailer weight @7500lbs). It started "catching" on the down trip (extend). Worked ok on the up trip (retract). I took it all apart and found some wear on the case that holds the pin on one of the (tiny)gears. I was able to reassemble the case, moving it far against the screw holes, and the slop was reduced, and it seemed ok. The gears are very small and light weight, and if you use a WD hitch, you need to connect the truck and raise the trailer tongue and the back of the truck using the tongue jack, in order to set the trunnion bars. This puts a strain on the jack, and with a 10 day trip to 4 states coming up soon, I replaced the 3500lb lippert with a 4500lb Stromberg Carlson with high ratings. If you go to YouTube and look up Lippert Tongue jack you will see they fail alot. My old Lippert will be going on my sister's little teardrop type trailer, where it is unlikley to be overloaded. I agree with the others who recommend skipping the dealership and just replace it yourself (3 bolts and 1 wire).
KaptnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
I've got a potential problem with the gears on my Lippert electric jack for my NoBo 19.6. My jack on the front of my NoBo has a popping or thumping noise only when I'm lowering the jack on my camper. I believe it's the gears making the noise while lowering the jack but when I'm raising it the jack makes the usual humming sound I've grown use to. I'm afraid the jack may fail to work when I'm at a campsite due to the odd noises it began making after my last trip. Has anyone else had an issue with their Lippert Jack and how did FR handle the warranty work?
From what I've been told by the Couch's RV Warranty group where I purchased my NoBo I first have to take it to a service center in their network about 40 miles away and then if they decide the jack is going bad they will put in a request to FR and then FR will send the issue to Lippert for their approval. The last time I dealt with a FR warranty issue on my NoBo it took a total of 3 months to get the warranty part approved and have the part shipped to my home for its' replacement. So much for any pretense of Customer Service.... BTW, if the gears stop raising or lowering the electric jack will the manual crank still work to connect to my tow vehicle???
I have always had some misgivings about electric tongue jacks. I have a manual one that I took off a trailer once upon a time and I keep it in a box in my garage for the day of the electric one fails. When we were traveling regularly with a bumper tow er I carried an 8 ton hydraulic jack and of course you always have blocks of wood so in a pinch I could always lift the tongue that way if I had to.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Two 80 mile round trips to the dealer? I’d just buy a heavier duty jack and install it myself. Won’t cost much more than the gas, not to mention your time.

I just hate the fact that we all have to give in like that because we can't afford from a cost-effectiveness standpoint to insist upon product quality that we pay for.

But I agree it's easier just to take care of business yourself. I think I would do that and then ship them that effective one tell them where they could put it demand that they send you a new one. It will also be an inferior piece of junk but at least you have the satisfaction of getting it serviced on your warranty. I guess then you do give it to the guy with the teardrop or to somebody you hate.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk View Post
The gears are very small and light weight, and if you use a WD hitch, you need to connect the truck and raise the trailer tongue and the back of the truck using the tongue jack, in order to set the trunnion bars. This puts a strain on the jack, and with a 10 day trip to 4 states coming up soon, I replaced the 3500lb lippert with a 4500lb Stromberg Carlson with high ratings. If you go to YouTube and look up Lippert Tongue jack you will see they fail alot. My old Lippert will be going on my sister's little teardrop type trailer, where it is unlikley to be overloaded. I agree with the others who recommend skipping the dealership and just replace it yourself (3 bolts and 1 wire).
Thanks KaptnKirk for the info concerning the extra strain created by having to raise the trailer and the truck to set the trunnion bars. I just assumed since my tongue weight was only 750 lbs. that a 3500 lb. jack wouldn't have an issue with raising both but you've provided food for thought. I see you went with the 4500lb Stromberg Carlson so I guess that I should be looking in the 4000 to 5000lb rv jacks? I see that I've still got a lot to learn about the issues that come with owning a TT,,,
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 130
Based on the comments, I agree it would be more prudent to go ahead and bite the bullet and pick up a new jack and just send the one that I'm having issues with to FR for repair or replacement. So my next question is what brand is considered pretty much bullet proof and one that is made in the USA instead of China. I figure if I'm going to invest about $300 or more for one that is rated between 4000 to 5000lbs then I might as well go all in and look for one that has a great reputation as far as their Customer Service and is built in the USA. Keep in mind that I do utilize a trunnion bar WD system (Blue Ox) where I'm raising the trailer along with the rear of my truck for setting the trunnion bars so I guess the heavier rated jack the better. I appreciate KaptnKirk for getting me to think of going well above the 3500lb stock jack on my camper due to my WD system. Any suggestions?
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 130
BTW, I looked for a brand name on the electric jack and just assumed when I couldn't find one that based on the similar shape of its' head unit and the fact that Lippert supplied frame that it was probably a Lippert jack also but my bad since I've done a little more online research and if the FR online manuals for my NoBo are correct it's an off brand that I've never heard of from a company called Intertek Distribution.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.