Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #1

Hello and question

Good morning all! We are owners of a brand new 19.8. Very impressed so far with the whole thing. Going to flush out the winterization and do a thorough cleaning and packing over the next couple days.

In regards to the steps...

I noticed that the door has a hard time closing properly with the steps outside. I can see that if the ground is too close, it lifts the base that reaches over the threshold and prevents the door from closing fully. I wound up standing on it to get the door closed, but then my kids could not open the door (release takes too much pressure) and I realized that the bottom 6" of the seal doesn't even contact the frame.

I then backed it up onto some boards to lift the chassis and tried again with the same results, even when the steps don't fully touch the ground without extending (in other words, the step plate is making full contact with the threshold).

Thoughts? Fixes?
GAWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #2

I think I have the steps issue figured out. It was mounted about a 1/2" off straight (measured from the threshold to the hinge inside).That is causing the latch side of the door to hit the base.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #3

We have a 19.8 as well. I do think the steps might be just a smidge too large. We've been able to make it work by simply clearing gravel from under the feet or using levelers on both sides of the camper. No big deal.
breedsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

Welcome, and we are pleased that you have figured it out.

Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

I actually figured it out!!

There was a plastic wedge left siliconed to the bottom of the door itself. It appears to be from manufacturing (I would guess to hold the door in place to attach the hinges). I easily pulled it off and now we have no door problems!!

It is still very tight, but the seal meets up around the whole thing and it isn't dragging anymore.

Image attached of the wedge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200719_112111.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	234234  
Old 07-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Glad you figured it out GAWade. I do agree with breedsimps that the steps are a bit too large. If parking it up a decent incline or decline, there will be some digging involved to get one of the feet low enough so that the step hinge doesn't interfere with your door shutting.
ZenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote