Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #1

Exclamation Is the 2021 19.1 Toy Hauler still a piece of junk?

Based on what I've been reading here, I think today's purchase of this travel trailer may have been a huge mistake. Has Forest River gotten it's act together since reading about the short staples and everything falling apart? I have a couple of days to consider buyer's remorse, but don't want to act hastily if they have improved QA/QC. Even though they are not as expensive as Airstream, we still paid a lot of money for all of the work other owners have had to do to make these operable.

Any input from other new 19.1 owners much appreciated!!!

Disappointed Dave
Dave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave01 View Post
Based on what I've been reading here, I think today's purchase of this travel trailer may have been a huge mistake. Has Forest River gotten it's act together since reading about the short staples and everything falling apart?
You are looking at a single corporation. You need to ask this question of the entire RV Industry, including Airstream, instead of one brand.
Have you done any reading from recent Airstream customer reviews. If not, you'll find similar complaints. Airstream ain't the same company since Thor Industries acquired them, a number of years ago.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, sir. I've really no one to blame but myself for this. I'm just utterly disappointed that there isn't more pride of workmanship evident, here or elsewhere. I see it all the time with contractors, etc. Whatever they can get away with. Guess I'll have to hone my travel trailer rebuilding skills!
Old 12-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave01 View Post
Thanks for the reply, sir. I've really no one to blame but myself for this. I'm just utterly disappointed that there isn't more pride of workmanship evident, here or elsewhere. I see it all the time with contractors, etc. Whatever they can get away with. Guess I'll have to hone my travel trailer rebuilding skills!
The lack of quality in the RV Industry has been well documented for years, especially in RV forums. But it has gotten worse during the Covid RV buying craze.
When I started researching before buying my first new RV, back in 2004, I found all about the lack of quality in the RV Industry on various RV forums.
I credit them for teaching me the do's and don'ts of purchasing a RV. It was 2 years before I felt ready to buy one. The result was that I didn't have anywhere near the frustrations I see others having.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #5

Short staples are apparently a shortcut prevalent on at least the newer model NoBos. We had our 19.3 (3 months old) out over Thanksgiving and I noticed after setting up and going inside that some ceiling staples had worked their way out. Initially I had the issue with trim pieces which were an easy fix. Leveling jacks are also of the cheaper variety on our rig as one easily broke while trying to raise a jack a month back. FR sent a replacement but oddly enough it was a completely different style leveling jack than what came with the unit.

I felt exactly as you do now after bringing home my 19.3 but have since softened because as Dan states, this is an industry wide issue and most likely will not be changing anytime soon. I've recently had my eye on a couple of other models from Grand Design & Lance Campers. These are in a completely different price category but the build/component quality, especially on Lance, seems well above what I've experienced to date. Who knows if they are indeed any better?
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

I've seen some videos of Grand Design trailers going together. You can find them on YouTube. I don't see any more quality there than there is in our Forest River trailers.

Now my last RV, my 2005 Monaco Safari Gazelle, that was a well-built RV. Those days are likely gone, quality went way downhill during the economy (and RV market) bust that started in 2007.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyAl View Post
Short staples are apparently a shortcut prevalent on at least the newer model NoBos. We had our 19.3 (3 months old) out over Thanksgiving and I noticed after setting up and going inside that some ceiling staples had worked their way out. Initially I had the issue with trim pieces which were an easy fix. Leveling jacks are also of the cheaper variety on our rig as one easily broke while trying to raise a jack a month back. FR sent a replacement but oddly enough it was a completely different style leveling jack than what came with the unit.

I felt exactly as you do now after bringing home my 19.3 but have since softened because as Dan states, this is an industry wide issue and most likely will not be changing anytime soon. I've recently had my eye on a couple of other models from Grand Design & Lance Campers. These are in a completely different price category but the build/component quality, especially on Lance, seems well above what I've experienced to date. Who knows if they are indeed any better?
Are you sure you have leveling jacks and not just stabilizing jacks?

How are you leveling?

See this:
https://learntorv.com/rv-leveling-is...uick-and-easy/
Old 12-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Are you sure you have leveling jacks and not just stabilizing jacks?

How are you leveling?

See this:
https://learntorv.com/rv-leveling-is...uick-and-easy/
Sorry,. I misspoke. Meant to say stabilizer jacks.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry,. I misspoke. Meant to say stabilizer jacks.
Those are not strong enough to raise a camper. Level it first and then put only enough pressure on the stabilizers to dampen the movement.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

No one ever mentioned trying to level the rig with them but thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #11

Quote:

I had two Cardinals which once were the top of the line unit for FR before I jumped ship. I purchased a Grand Design and the difference is remarkable. I wouldn't go back. Since then they sold to Winnebago so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
No one ever mentioned trying to level the rig with them but thanks for the heads up!
My apologies. It's quite common for new trailer owners to do so. So with your reference to one breaking and then calling it a "leveling" jack, I made the leap.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #13

So, Dave01 - what exactly is wrong with your unit? Many of the reported issues are not consistent across trailers and are random in nature. Unlikely that anyone gets a perfect unit but it does happen.

My point is, if you like the size, layout and accommodations (you apparently did to lay down $20k+), don't let your imagination run wild, enjoy it and fix the little things that pop up. It's part of the experience! But, if you're expecting perfection and no maintenance you better bail.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My apologies. It's quite common for new trailer owners to do so. So with your reference to one breaking and then calling it a "leveling" jack, I made the leap.
All good ependydad. I have a bad habit of referencing the stabilizer jacks as leveling (one less syllable!)

Actually on my 3rd RV in 4 years; 1st being an A-liner which had a toy hauler on the front, then on to an R-Pod 179 so we could have a bath and now our first "new" unit with the NOBO 19.3. Referencing Dave01's original inquiry about perceived quality issues, I had the similar expectations with purchasing our new unit. What it appears in this day and age is that there is no real advantage in purchasing new over used with the added costs and fees. Throw in the time needed for warranty work issues to be resolved, dealer backlog, and parts availability? My unit had one specific flaw due to a mid-year model change with the "Bush Kitchen" and FR basically told me that it was as intended and they could not remedy the situation. Models shipped a month after mine have corrected the flaw. Top that off with some not so friendly dialogue with an FR Regional Manager when I followed up on an issue after two weeks added a sour note as well.

No doubt you need to be handy and not rely on dealers/manufacturers to take care of the issues as they arise. I'm learning as I go and bettering myself as well.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #15

DES-1: Great point! We haven't even picked the unit up yet - tomorrow we have the PDI. I made the leap from a couple of owners' nightmare experiences (probably more like major nuisances than nightmares). Like you say, putting down a bunch of cash, one has unrealistic expectations of near perfection. We're planning a 33-day, multiple location trip for the end of March, and before doing so, will be doing some local shakedowns, and I'll keep a bunch of tools, stainless steel screws, adhesive, etc. with me for any needed repairs along the journey. Thanks for talking me off the cliff!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #16

BurlyAl: All part of the adventure! Appreciate you weighing in. I'm just going to plan on screwing down all the cabinets and other things that appear cheaply attached, and keep tools and supplies handy. I also plan to use the heck out of it the first year to get anything fixed under warranty. No extended warranty here, as that's a whole separate thread, I won't get into my opinion of a waste of money. Cheers!
Old 12-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #17

New 19.1 owner here ... used 3 times since end of summer. I am pleased - but am probably too easy going since I have taken it in for repair once already and scheduled for a second trip to a dealer in January. The first visit was because the large driver-side window leaked, the paneling by the refrigerator came loose (the root cause was that it was simply too long and the thermal stress of a warm day was too much for the staples - I'm not sure longer staples would have been enough to hold it), and the grey and black water tank level sensor lights were reversed.

The main reason to take it in was that I thought that they might try to nicely fix the window which, since the gap to wall was larger in the middle and the interior trim was not in squarely all the way around, I could tell it had not been installed quite right. Instead, they just clear caulked it all the way around. In addition, now none of the tank level sensors work - which I should have checked before I took it home. I am too trusting that people check their work.

So the second trip will be to repair the tank level sensor panel again. And also fix the water pump which doesn't run (also hadn't checked before) - the lighted switch doesn't light so hopefully the pump really is ok but the switch isn't getting power for some reason.

The only mod I have made is to add bracing in the front storage compartment to support the queen bed. We would not be an unusual weight, but the 2 1x1s across the center of the bed did not look adequate to me. I pocket screwed some verticals in with a horizontal just pressure fit to the floor.

The only other change I made was to take the spare tire from the front storage and put it under the sofa behind the trailer axles. Literature claims 720 lb tongue weight. As delivered mine was 800 lbs. Moving tire aft dropped that to 740 lb. If you haul a toy you won't have to worry about it. My purchase motivation was to run fairly empty and use the back door for wheel chair accessibility.

Check every system ... but I would stick with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontStorageAfter.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	244083  
ChoreFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler