Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Jacking 10.6 up from the Axle? Manual says no but?

Hello all,

I read in the manual and it says not to jack the unit from the Axle, instead the frame. Clearly I can see using the center of the axle as a BAD idea but does anyone jack it up closer to the wheel without any issues? Just curious if I am in a pinch on the side of the road or on a trail.

Looks like we have a Lippert axle in our Nobo 10.6. I am not sure how these RV axles are built over solid axles in cars/trucks.

Thanks
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #2

What kind of logic is that? When they say no, it's NO. Find a way to jack on the frame, like this, or close by, but under the frame and not the axle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8204.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	241511
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Site Team

That unit has a torsion axle and therefore there's no spring perch to jack under. All it has is a thin axle tube and jacking against it could dent it severely. It's your RV so you're free to do as you wish, but I would find a way to jace under the frame.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the input
Old 10-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
What kind of logic is that? When they say no, it's NO. Find a way to jack on the frame, like this, or close by, but under the frame and not the axle.

Attachment 241511
This appears to be a "No BO Axle" that has the axle mounting plate where the Jack piston rod is Lifting! Youroo!!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
Thanks for the input

You're welcome. I forgot to mention, try this at home as sort of a rehearsal to make sure you've got the right kit of tools. I took the pic when I was freshening up the bearing lube, which requires wheel rotation.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
You're welcome. I forgot to mention, try this at home as sort of a rehearsal to make sure you've got the right kit of tools. I took the pic when I was freshening up the bearing lube, which requires wheel rotation.
Yeah, I have been going through the little sucker. I guess I finally have a reason to buy a bottle jack. Seems like the most efficient way to do this correctly.

Going to be adding an inverter this weekend, excited to see what I find for wiring behind the wood panel lol. Going to add some wood braces to strengthen the lower cabinet area since I have young boys too. I can see them kicking the thin wood in their sleep.

Just curious if you have any tips for a new one to look out for? Already flushed the tank out twice to get out what seemed to be plastic shavings. Not sure what else I might be missing. It is a new unit.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
Yeah, I have been going through the little sucker. I guess I finally have a reason to buy a bottle jack. Seems like the most efficient way to do this correctly.

Going to be adding an inverter this weekend, excited to see what I find for wiring behind the wood panel lol. Going to add some wood braces to strengthen the lower cabinet area since I have young boys too. I can see them kicking the thin wood in their sleep.

Just curious if you have any tips for a new one to look out for? Already flushed the tank out twice to get out what seemed to be plastic shavings. Not sure what else I might be missing. It is a new unit.
Also cut yourseld a chunk od 4x4 to rse as a spacer under the jack as the frame may be too high for the jack alone, even with jack head screwed out fully.

Also, get a jack with a 4" wide base regardless of whether it seems overkill for your trailer weight. Smaller jacks will sink into dirt and are less stable.

My bottle jack is a 12 ton I happened to have around. Enough to lift trailer AND truck times two. Nice and stable though and easy jacking effort.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, manual