Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Looking to tow a 2021 NOBO 19.6 with a Tacoma

I have a 2017 Tacoma trd 4x4 off road model with the tow package, I also added aftermarket magnaflow exhaust, & trd cold air intake. Would I have issues with towing a 2021 NOBO 19.6?

I seen another thread regarding towing with a Tacoma, but it said post was too old for me to post there.

Thank you in advance for your time & tips
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, truck probably sounds and runs great, I'm sure questions will be asked about the capacities of your truck . Check your sticker on the door jam .
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

What is your payload - from the sticker on the driver's door pillar? What is the GVW of the trailer? Take 15% of the GVW and subtract that from payload and that is what you have left for people, dogs, and gear. Note that 15% is a maximum and therefore conservative.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

My Tacoma could not pull my 21 ft Jayco. Way overloaded on capacity. Scared me enough to buy a bigger truck.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #5

I purchased a 19.3 this summer and before I took possession of it I went through much discussion about towing it with my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x2. Bottom line: The truck could have done the job, but not well. Once loaded the 19 series NOBO begins to push the payload limits and towing capacity of a Tacoma with tow package. Mine is rated at 6,700 pounds towing capacity but the hitch is at 550# of the 600# limit reducing even further what the Taco can comfortably tow. I had a RPod 179 which was much lighter overall and the Taco struggled on the hills--no acceleration available. A good buddy of mine enlightened me with some information on all the "true" capacities.
I love my Tacoma and struggled if I was going to trade it in for something more capable. Instead I kept it as it will be paid off in a year and is great for my day to day needs and found locally an older Tundra to handle the NOBO towing duties. For me that was the best decision and I have no regrets.
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
REL

What is your truck's payload capacity?
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #7

Hello,

Just FYI I just purchased a 2020 Geo Pro which is about 3200lb dry weight and a 420lb tounge weight. My tow vehicle was a 2016 Toyota 4 runner. The main difference between the 4 runner and the Tacoma is the tow capacity and tounge weight. It is not that big of a difference and you are getting a heavier trailer. I did all the math and even took my vehicle to the scales. I was 480lb toung weight fully loaded with a weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway bar. Let me tell you the 4 runner could do it and mathematically we were "Safe". My key complaints were gas mileage, trying to tow up hills, and bouncing up and down the highway. It was possible but it was brutal and we had to be precise with how we were loading it. I had to run 4500 RPMs to maintain 70 MPH going up a small hill. That was it for me! Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 lonestar with the 3.92 axle ratio (axle ratio is very important). This thing hauls the Geo Pro like NOTHING. I was getting 6.5 MPG in the 4 runner and barely making it up hills. Now I am getting 10-11 MPG and I can push 80+ MPH no problem. PM me if you want more info I did a TON of research on this before buying the RAM becuase I was in love with my 4 runner!
DaSchutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #8

I pull our Nobo 19.5 with our 2020 DCSB V6 Tacoma 4x2. We use a brake controller, a WDH with sway control, ECT pushed, tranny in S4 and proper tire pressure. It tows fine. Is it back there? Yes. Does it scream going up hills yes. Does it get 10mpg yes. Never felt unsafe tho, but I drive slow and prefer to stay in the slow lane. Your results may vary.
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #9

We have a 2019 Tacoma and a 4400 lb. TT, with a stabilization / weight distribution hitch. The numbers on paper work, but more importantly, towing is just fine, smooth and predictable. I don't think I want to check the gas mileage yield though.
Robinson
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchutts View Post
Hello,

Just FYI I just purchased a 2020 Geo Pro which is about 3200lb dry weight and a 420lb tounge weight. My tow vehicle was a 2016 Toyota 4 runner. The main difference between the 4 runner and the Tacoma is the tow capacity and tounge weight. It is not that big of a difference and you are getting a heavier trailer. I did all the math and even took my vehicle to the scales. I was 480lb toung weight fully loaded with a weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway bar. Let me tell you the 4 runner could do it and mathematically we were "Safe". My key complaints were gas mileage, trying to tow up hills, and bouncing up and down the highway. It was possible but it was brutal and we had to be precise with how we were loading it. I had to run 4500 RPMs to maintain 70 MPH going up a small hill. That was it for me! Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 lonestar with the 3.92 axle ratio (axle ratio is very important). This thing hauls the Geo Pro like NOTHING. I was getting 6.5 MPG in the 4 runner and barely making it up hills. Now I am getting 10-11 MPG and I can push 80+ MPH no problem. PM me if you want more info I did a TON of research on this before buying the RAM becuase I was in love with my 4 runner!
80 mph? I hope you never have to make a panic stop at that speed.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #11

We pulled a 2109S with a 2017 Tacoma Offroad Towing pkg

Pulled fine, Stopped trailer no problems. Went up into Tennessee so mountains did well enuff. Truck would not pass a gas station though. about 100 miles and need to fill up. If your going on mostly short trips I say go for it. Truck will do fine. If longer trips is norm get a Tundra. Alot of people on this site bash pulling with Toyota's so if your a Toyota guy ignore alot and make your mind up. Good luck and have safe travels.
SeaMSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMSea View Post
Alot of people on this site bash pulling with Toyota's so if your a Toyota guy ignore alot and make your mind up. Good luck and have safe travels.
Tundras are fine trucks. My biggest knock on them is their poor payload capacities, especially on crewcab models. And Toyota hasn't updated them in years.
The 2 years i was truck shopping, Tundra crewcabs often had payload capacities of less than 1000lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Hello,

Glad to see you are in California. I won't have to worry about you on the road.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #14

Yanking the chain

Quote:
Hello,

Trying to get a rise out of speed police?? 😳. They are on here
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Glad to see you are in California. I won't have to worry about you on the road.
Not sure where you got that because their profile says Texas.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #16
New to RVing

Towed a 19.8 with a Nissan Frontier

We pulled a 2109S with a 2017 Tacoma Offroad Towing pkg
Pulled fine, Stopped trailer no problems. Went up into Tennessee so mountains did well enuff. Truck would not pass a gas station though. about 100 miles and need to fill up. If your going on mostly short trips I say go for it. Truck will do fine. If longer trips is norm get a Tundra. Alot of people on this site bash pulling with Toyota's so if your a Toyota guy ignore alot and make your mind up. Good luck and have safe travels.
I towed a 19.8 with my 2014 Nissan short-bed Frontier - similar truck specs. Pretty much same experience as SeaMSea post with his 2109S. Tongue weight is likely your concern. For just you and one other, I suspect you'd be ok on payload (300# worth of kids on two trips put us at payload and packed like sardines). You'll struggle on range (I actually averaged around 10mpg in hilly Western PA) and you'll have to tolerate higher RPMs on hills - the higher RPMs didn't bother me since it's the only workout the truck ever got. Could feel a little bounce on the highway, but otherwise the truck handled well.

I upgraded to a Tahoe for leg room and payload to take the college age kids who still like to travel with us, specially with the COVID. Tahoe has better range, similar wheel base, but heavier vehicle. Based on the wheelbase, I knew the ride would be similar to the Frontier and I didn't mind repeating.

I would strongly recommend running your truck across a scale to compare current weight to GVW to determine how much payload you actually have (make sure you fill up first).

Good Luck!
Mr_Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:05 PM   #17

I have a 2015 Tacoma V6 pulling my NOBO 19.6 with no problems
tonymydicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #18

So we just got back from a 3000 miles trip with our 19.5 and our 2017 taco. It pulled great on flat land. It did struggle on hills. We opted for me to trade my car in and buy a bigger truck and engine to haul it. Congrats!
Miaya113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaya113 View Post
So we just got back from a 3000 miles trip with our 19.5 and our 2017 taco. It pulled great on flat land. It did struggle on hills. We opted for me to trade my car in and buy a bigger truck and engine to haul it. Congrats!
This is a common scenario, with the smaller v6 trucks.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #20

Speed limit is 75-80 on a lot of highways in the upper midwest Wyoming etc and the traffic is very light out in the open roads. However I rarely see a travel trailer at that speed!
Steve Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote