Old 05-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #1

New 19.5 Owner Question

Hello! Happy to be a new owner of a 19.5 no boundaries. I've taken it out a couple times just dry runs because it has been freezing at night still up here in Canada. Taking it out tomorrow and plan on using water and toilet fur the first time. Just ran water through the city line today for the first time to clear out the antifreeze.

Couple questions:
1) Do I simply fill the water tank now, screw the rod in and flip on the hot water tank switch, for the hot water tank to turn on?

2) What is the on/off switch for in the pass through outside storage?

Only complaint, a few things have broke already but nothing major. The bathroom cabinet/mirror ripped out of the wall, the handle for the black water tank fell off and a plastic piece on the cap for the sewer drain broke. Getting that stuff fixed through warranty.

Thanks guys.

JBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBailer View Post
Couple questions:
1) Do I simply fill the water tank now, screw the rod in and flip on the hot water tank switch, for the hot water tank to turn on?

2) What is the on/off switch for in the pass through outside storage?
Can't answer #2.
For #1, as long as you're sure the antifreeze is out of the lines, you can disinfect and fill the fresh water tank.
For the hot water tank, put the anode rod in, then run water through the hot water faucet in the rig to fill the hot water tank BEFORE you turn it on. Assuming you've got a regular water heater, not a tankless, the electric element will burn out if you don't have the WH tank filled with water.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

The switch on the passenger side front pass through should be to the white light on the front of the trailer near the tongue jack. For hooking and unhooking at night or low light.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Also, the power switch in the water heater is for electric operation. You can leave it off and run the water heater using propane if you do not have electric hook ups. To use the propane option you use the switch in the bathroom.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

... and don't forget to reset the by-pass valve for the HWT.
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #6

and if you want to actually use the trailer don't take it to the dealer for the repairs... Now all dealers are not the same but 90% will let your trailer sit for weeks and months on end in their lot "waiting for parts or approval to fix under warranty". MANY many horror stories on here about not being able to use the trailer while it sat on the lot. Repair facilities in most dealerships exist to support new trailer sales... after the sale support is poor to non-existant.

If you are handy you will be better off doing the work yourself. You will get it done faster and also have better quality work done because you actually care.

Don't take my word for it, I am sure others will chime in.

Happy travels in your new camper.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #7

IF your NoBo 19.5 is like my Rpod 195 there is a recall on the medicine cabinet. Seems some folks missed the studs when screwing them on the wall. Since its covered by warranty, you're good as long as the dealer will give you a scheduled block of time for repairing the unit, as opposed to the old "drop it off and we'll get to it." My HW tank worked like others said, hook up to city water - or fill your FW tank and turn on the pump - and open a hot water faucet till water comes out without air pockets. Then turn on the heat, either electric, propane, or both. Next time you use it, it'll take a bit to come thru, but hot water should be there. Enjoy!
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
Tundra 2014

TT

When you put the anode back in the water heater put a little teflon tape on treads. Make sure you have the cut off valve turned to get water to the water heater, AFTER you rinse the anti-free out if winterized. It should be parallel w/ water line. If you run the water heater w/o water in it, you can burn up the heating element. I like to flip the pressure relief valve on the water heater after hooking up to water to insure I have water in it. Also verifies valve is working. Good camping.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
IF your NoBo 19.5 is like my Rpod 195 there is a recall on the medicine cabinet. Seems some folks missed the studs when screwing them on the wall. Since its covered by warranty, you're good as long as the dealer will give you a scheduled block of time for repairing the unit, as opposed to the old "drop it off and we'll get to it." My HW tank worked like others said, hook up to city water - or fill your FW tank and turn on the pump - and open a hot water faucet till water comes out without air pockets. Then turn on the heat, either electric, propane, or both. Next time you use it, it'll take a bit to come thru, but hot water should be there. Enjoy!
Good luck with a scheduled time for repair:
Twice I had a scheduled time to fix my rig - like drop it off Saturday afternoon and they will do the work Monday. Call Tuesday - haven't started it yet but will have it done for sure Wednesday for PU. Call Wednesday afternoon to say it should be done now Friday. Call Friday - haven't moved it in yet to work on it. Next week - Should be done right away Monday. And a day or two later it gets done. What really gets me is calling and asking them what is CONVENIENT for THEM and they give me a time they and put on their repair schedule. This crap is for stuff they should have fixed when they sold me the unit (my first Class C) discovering problems I didn't know existed. Again, I'm too trusting a person - RV sales persons easy top the worst sleazy car sales person right up there along with dealer repair.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
What really gets me is calling and asking them what is CONVENIENT for THEM and they give me a time they and put on their repair schedule.
dealer repair shops exist to support SALES, when all new unit sales repairs/setups/PDI's are done they will pull in your trailer, but in these days of record new RV sales that just never happens in a timely fashion

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
dealer repair shops exist to support SALES, when all new unit sales repairs/setups/PDI's are done they will pull in your trailer, but in these days of record new RV sales that just never happens in a timely fashion
A lot of a poor PDI is my fault. Picked up the Forester at end of January when almost 20 below outside. Sales person said PDI would be shown inside to show how everything worked. It was actually outside with the heater and generator running.

Second part of problem was picking up my TT for trade in from a consignment sales area that was outside with 1˝ feet of blown snow around it. Trade in took forever having to shovel it free and hook up. The slide was out and this place didn't't turn off the battery disconnect and the battery was dead. Could not also use the electric jack with a dead battery. Everything was frozen in and I was getting stuck trying to pull out of the slot. I was exhausted by the time I got to pickup the Forester and this being my 4th rig. Sales person felt I knew everything and I believe took advantage of it being cold outside and kept it short.

Why do this in January? Forester was a 2019 bought in January 2019 as rental unit from previous summer discounted $46,000 off retail. It looked in excellent shape. It was only unit around that was not factory new with the horrible new price that would never fly with the wife to buy new. I'll never do that again - live and learn.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
Good luck with a scheduled time for repair:....
along with dealer repair.

I've said it before on this forum so one more time FWIW. I have called Nelson RV in Boise, ID and discussed issues with the warranty guy, Jason. He gave me a day and time to drop off the TT, which incidentally I did not buy there. I dropped it in the morning and he called a few hours later to be picked up. Listed repairs were made as well as other things they saw that should be. This happened twice over several months. The technicians even came out and volunteered info when asked. Great service that is earning a long term customer.
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
and if you want to actually use the trailer don't take it to the dealer for the repairs... Now all dealers are not the same but 90% will let your trailer sit for weeks and months on end in their lot "waiting for parts or approval to fix under warranty". MANY many horror stories on here about not being able to use the trailer while it sat on the lot. Repair facilities in most dealerships exist to support new trailer sales... after the sale support is poor to non-existant.

If you are handy you will be better off doing the work yourself. You will get it done faster and also have better quality work done because you actually care.

Don't take my word for it, I am sure others will chime in.

Happy travels in your new camper.
Bought mine at Christmas. Been at dealer since Feb. fridge and a leak. Still don’t have it back. We have never used it and it’s June tomorrow.
Joey185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #14

Thanks for all the tips. We had another great weekend out in the remote mountains.

I figured out the hot water tank. There are bypass valves behind a plate that screws off under the closet area beside the furnace, accessible from the inside. I only had one open to start with but it did fill the tank before I turned the heater on.

Also, confirmed, the little switch is for the hook/unhook light on the front of the unit. Could be good for night time for sure.

Good to know the medicine cabinet might be under a recall. It was definitely not mounted into any studs and is quite heavy, even with nothing in it. Lots of the camping we want to do is down bumpy dirt roads. I figure break everything I can in the next year while it's under warranty for repairs

Our dealership is the largest up here in AB so I think they should be decent for getting repairs done, warranty work anyway. After that I will try myself or pay someone else for more complicated work. It took 3 weeks to get a spot but they guarantee the trailer back to you in 6 days.

JBailer is offline   Reply With Quote