Old 07-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Nobo 10.6 mod - Sliding Solar Panals

I wanted a system that I can be off grid for a long time so I run 2 - 100W solar panels that slide out from under my roof top Tent. I picked up some heavy duty 48" slides and built aluminum crossbars and l brackets to support them. If you are interested I can attach more pics or info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	211165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	211166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	211167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	211168  
NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

This looks great. You’ve done some smart mods to your 10.6.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

Thanks, I have a few more but just need to get some pics. If you have any questions or more detail just let me know. Some of the descriptions are short, I was going to expand if there was interest.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Hi I am a new owner of a 10.6 and i am interested in what you did with your solar, could you send additional pic's, also did you plug directly into the connection at the rear of the trailer or did you just attach directly to the battery?
VB472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Please let me know if get any information on this mod with solar as I am looking to buy 10.6 and add solar to boondock.
sanchizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoboUpNorth View Post
I wanted a system that I can be off grid for a long time so I run 2 - 100W solar panels that slide out from under my roof top Tent. I picked up some heavy duty 48" slides and built aluminum crossbars and l brackets to support them. If you are interested I can attach more pics or info.
Can you please give any pictures or information on how you did this Mod I am looking to purchase the NO BO 10.6 and looking to do the same thing.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:12 AM   #7

Sorry for the slow reply on this one. I'm up in Canada so my trailer is in storage and under a couple of feet of snow right now. More pictures will have to wait.

As for more info,

The first thing I needed to find was a good solar panel that fit under the tent. I wanted 200W, so I went with 2 - 100W Renolgy compact. These fit well side by side, so I bolted the frames together to make one large panel.
To support the slides and panels I bolted 2 1"x2"x4' solid aluminum to the roof rails. On top of them I used a couple of aluminum 2"x2" angle iron to support the slides. The slides I got from amazon and were 48" good for 500 lbs.
The angle iron, slides and panels have just enough room to slide under the roof rack cross bars. I did not need to remove the tent for install.

For wiring I went strait down to a battery tool box you can see in other threads. I disconnect the wires when traveling and store them in the box. MPPT sits in the bar beside the battery. My electrical system is a bit more in depth and you can see that in another thread.

I can't get any pics now but if you need more info send me a PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:22 AM   #8

I have a MPPT controller in my battery box. I went strait down to the box. I did not want the loses of running the wires all the way to the back plug, just to have it run all the way back to the front. I don't think the stock wiring would be heavy enough gauge to support 200W for 15'. I use the back Zamp plug for another 40W panel that is mobile and I can place if light is not ideal for the front. Just remember if you do not use a zamp panel (like me ) you need to switch the wiring as the zamp plugs are reversed. Test with a voltage meter before you cook your solar controller.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:26 AM   #9

Thank you

Thank you for the reply and the information it would be so awesome to get any pictures when available would surely be appreciated you can send to my email sanchizle@comcast.net look forward to any information or pictures you send. Thank you and great job
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #10

Sanchizle, I sent you an email in Jan. Did you get it or do I have the address wrong?
Old 06-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #11

Hello I have a question can you take a few pics how your tent is mounted I just bought a 10.6 with the rack but my CVT roof top mounts not that big as the rack.? Thank you.
DWATSON75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar