Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Nobo 19.3 Generator...Which Brand is best?

Looking to get a generator want something quiet that will power everything I could need.

People tell me to get a Honda just pricey but good warranty but it's only 3000 watts ....and people telling me I need 3500 running watts ...so not sure what I'll need.

What other brands are best as I'm looking for the best.

Thanks guys all input is greatly appreciated!
TravelDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelDad View Post
Looking to get a generator want something quiet that will power everything I could need.

People tell me to get a Honda just pricey but good warranty but it's only 3000 watts ....and people telling me I need 3500 running watts ...so not sure what I'll need.

What other brands are best as I'm looking for the best.

Thanks guys all input is greatly appreciated!
There are literally thousands of threads and posts here, on this subject. So a quick search will get you weeks of reading.
That said, you need to better define what you want to run, how much you want to spend, how heavy is too heavy and will you be using it in developed campgrounds where you have neighbors.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Always Learning

It all depends on what you want to run at once and how much you want to spend.

See if this article helps:

https://learntorv.com/generators/

That said, when I’m boondocking, my goal is to run the generator as little as possible- specifically for recharging batteries and for running high watt appliances (microwave, A/C). Everything else runs off of battery power either native 12v or inverter making 120v.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There are literally thousands of threads and posts here, on this subject. So a quick search will get you weeks of reading.
That said, you need to better define what you want to run, how much you want to spend, how heavy is too heavy and will you be using it in developed campgrounds where you have neighbors.
i can also add whether you want it running off gasoline or LP or both, each of which has its own costs. i got a Champion 2.2kw but haven't used it much.
marty1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

You can also look at installing an easy start system to your AC if you are looking to run it off a single 2200 generator.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep, days worth of reading on this subject as someone asks this same question every week.

You say you want to run everything.
A 30a shore power service provides 3600 watts so to power everything a 30a shore power service provides, you'd have to have at least that many watts and probably more for start-up surges.

A 50a service provides 2 legs of 6000w.

Be sure to only consider INVERTER generators (for noise levels) unless you plan to use it on private land with no camping neighbors.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Travel Dad, your question was which brand was the "BEST".
To answer that particular question, Honda and Yamaha inverter generators are the BEST and the gold standard.
Now you want to clarify your question, like what is the BEST inverter generator for the money, which is a different question with different answers.
There are tons of good inverter generators at lower prices that are available.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #8

I purchased two Honda EU2200i units to pair for my 19.3. They are quiet and easy to move around. Have yet to run the setup off grid but anticipate doing so this summer. Just need the auxillary tank setup to be able to run through the evening without waking to fill gas.
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:13 AM   #9

Ended up getting a Westinghouse IGEN4500 4500 /3500 running. Thinking this can handle everything if needed.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Ended up getting a Westinghouse IGEN4500 4500 /3500 running. Thinking this can handle everything if needed.
That's a pretty big generator for such a small TT. A 3000w inverter generator would have been enough. Kinda of overkill.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's a pretty big generator for such a small TT. A 3000w inverter generator would have been enough. Kinda of overkill.

Maybe but for the price I think it's nice and I could prolly have ac and microwave work at same time
Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 AM   #12

Quote:
That will perfectly handle your needs with running the AC, microwave, etc. Also from what I understand, a very good buy.
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #13

TravelDad,

That genny will work fine for you. It should have more than enough capacity, so it will hardly ever be stressed when running your camper.

There is a lot of culture here on this forum to size or set things "just barely enough" to get the job done, and no more. This guy doesn't necessarily buy into that, and I get along just fine, and you will too. So don't worry about the naysayers.

Happy Camping!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Everyone looks at 'needs' differently.

I notice that many who do a lot more off grid type camping have a minimalistic approach to many things. Since they don't camp where there is power, when considering a generator, their thoughts are small is good enough as it only need to charge the batteries. They enjoy being out in the boonies and A/C, Keurigs, microwaves and power hungry appliances are not a priority.

Others who camp with full hook-ups most of the time seem to levitate towards generators that will supply them the same power as if they had shore power from a pedestal. They are used to using every powered appliance they own and want to continue to do so when on the generator.

As with many subjects on this forum... it is all about what fits YOUR needs.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:

I got one of these a year ago and love it. Tested it with all TT items and works fine. It's the dual fuel model, and I only run it on propane. Why? no residual smells or liquids so can safely carry it inside the TT. Always ready to go and no winterization of fuel. Also serves as a bare bones house backup. I run it once a month to keep it in a ready state, it's internal battery charged, and top off the TT's batteries.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator