Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

NoBo 19.5 Water Pump Location

I have a 2020 19.5 NoBo. I was thinking about putting a syphon valve into the water pump tubing to fill the plumbing with Antifreeze this year. Has anyone gone spelunking (cave exploring) for the Water Pump on this model? It sounds like it is on the passenger side under the "night stand" or under the head of the bed. The "night stand" doesn't seem to have an access to the "void" where something like that could be located. Do I have to pull everything out of the front pass-thru to see if they located a panel there for 6-year olds to easily access it?
Last year I just put the antifreeze in the freshwater tank and had the pump fill it from there, but I'd like to avoid that. I have "blown out" the city water connection, but here in the high-country of the Northern Rockies, I'd sleep better knowing that most of the piping had antifreeze rather than water that I didn't get out by compressed air.
P.S. - For new owners, the 2 valve Water Heater bypass is under the "mini-closet" forward of the sink. I also used velcro to make the panel "removeable" without tools.
Also, check to make sure that your furnace is also securely screwed to the frame. Mine wasn't and the screws came loose and were loose on the floor. After it started sliding out into the aisle, I figured out where they'd come from and screwed it down with 1.25 x #12 Pan head sheet metal screws. It might come far enough out to allow the exhaust fumes to enter the trailer rather than be exhausted outside.
pcsdpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #2

Have you look pulled the mattress and look for an access panel at the head of the bedframe?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #3

It is accessed from the front pass through storage area (basement) on the passenger side. There is a panel with 4 screws to remove. I just removed the screws and then put some velcro on the panel since I knew I would be taking it on and off again.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

And my furnace screws back out every trip. Changed screws, doesn't matter. There is a lot of motion in these single axle trailers. I just make sure to tighten them back down when I get to the destination and home.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:52 PM   #5

Fonzie -
Thanks for the reply. I did take a look at the storage area under the mattress, but didn't see any access panels.
I might take a look when I get home.
Dan
Old 10-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #6

Rorschach - Thanks for that info. I guess I'll have to empty that side and dive in . . .
I think we've discussed the 19.5's before. I appreciate your knowledge of the unit.

On the "mobile furnace" . . . I guess I'll need to "engineer" something as besides being a nuisance, it could also become a safety issue with the CO from the exhaust vent maybe leaking in during a cold night. Let's see if I find a bolt long enough, I could bolt it through the frame to the axle . . . (just kidding) . . . I just find it frustrating that these are only built to last long enough to pull it off the dealer's lot (and somethings not even that far!).
Have a good night.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

Sorry, I went back and reread what I wrote and I put the wrong side. I'm sure you figured it out when you looked, but it is on the driver's side pass through. Oops.

And yeah, the furnace cover is frustrating to me, too. I have yet to come up with a good solution, so if you find one, let me know!

I also had the microwave unplug every time I towed from the motion in the camper. Took it back to the dealer and they ended up securing the plug so it does not work out when I travel now, but the first few trips I had to unscrew the microwave from the cabinet and plug it back in when I go to my destination.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

I figured it was on the driver's side. I haven't had a chance to unload the boxes, cables and hose on that side and take a look.
I was thinking of installing an anti-freeze siphon valve. But if it is a pain to get to, I've come up with an anti-freeze "injector" that'll force antifreeze via the city water hookup into the system. I've blown out the system already, but I was going to use antifreeze also just to be safe. Last year I put it into the freshwater tank and had the pump distribute it, but I didn't like that solution. I looked back on my OP and I mis-stated the "passenger" side . . . maybe because my "passenger" aka DW, sleeps on that side of the bed.
I'm also a little concerned because I left the Anti-freeze bottles in the NoBo and with the cold weather we'd had (in the teens), the Anti-freeze had turned to slush in one of them. But maybe that's the way it's supposed to work to "-50 degrees F".

On the furnace, I did use 1 1/2 x 12 hex head sheet metal screws (equivalent to tiny Lag Screws) to fasten the furnace. I've taken it on a couple 300 mile R/T trips without the furnace moving. But I haven't tested it on the 50 mile dirt road trip that I took through the Centennial Valley earlier this summer.

My other NoBo project is to refasten the mouldings around the inside of the slide out that are coming loose. It looks like they used either a pin or small staple tool to fasten them, but the pin/staple is pulling through the thin moldings (or they were driven too far in). I may either do maybe some hand driven finish nails or maybe add a little construction adhesive to the back of the moldings.

. . . I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Microwave/Convection

Now if I can find how to replace the screws I have loose between my ears . . .
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #9

There should be a 3 way valve on the pump with a hose already attached for the antifreeze. I had the dealer do it when it was up for some winter maint. last year, but I had to switch the valve back in the spring when I flushed the system. That's when I added the velcro because I figured I'd be getting to the pump at least 2x a year.

I'll check out the screws you mentioned since they seem to work well.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #10

I'll have to check that out then. Was the valve put in by the dealer to do your winterizing or was it done by Forest River during the initial assembly?
My new trailer walk-through by the dealer was absolutely worthless. I guess their business model is tell them as little as possible so they will come back to have the dealer do the work. I'm more of a DYI person so I know that it is done correctly and I'll understand my trailer better myself. I've written off the two local (120 and 85 miles away) dealers for these reasons.
Hopefully it'll be better weather this weekend than it was the last few days (8" of fresh snow and about -14 degrees F overnight). The forecast for the weekend is mid-forties.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsdpo View Post
I figured it was on the driver's side. I haven't had a chance to unload the boxes, cables and hose on that side and take a look.
I was thinking of installing an anti-freeze siphon valve. But if it is a pain to get to, I've come up with an anti-freeze "injector" that'll force antifreeze via the city water hookup into the system. I've blown out the system already, but I was going to use antifreeze also just to be safe. Last year I put it into the freshwater tank and had the pump distribute it, but I didn't like that solution. I looked back on my OP and I mis-stated the "passenger" side . . . maybe because my "passenger" aka DW, sleeps on that side of the bed.
I'm also a little concerned because I left the Anti-freeze bottles in the NoBo and with the cold weather we'd had (in the teens), the Anti-freeze had turned to slush in one of them. But maybe that's the way it's supposed to work to "-50 degrees F".

On the furnace, I did use 1 1/2 x 12 hex head sheet metal screws (equivalent to tiny Lag Screws) to fasten the furnace. I've taken it on a couple 300 mile R/T trips without the furnace moving. But I haven't tested it on the 50 mile dirt road trip that I took through the Centennial Valley earlier this summer.

My other NoBo project is to refasten the mouldings around the inside of the slide out that are coming loose. It looks like they used either a pin or small staple tool to fasten them, but the pin/staple is pulling through the thin moldings (or they were driven too far in). I may either do maybe some hand driven finish nails or maybe add a little construction adhesive to the back of the moldings.

. . . I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Microwave/Convection

Now if I can find how to replace the screws I have loose between my ears . . .
Definitely use some better finishing nails to secure the molding. I had to do the same on my 19.3 around the bunk area after driving it home from the dealership back in August. Did not use glue but would be an option as well.
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #12

There was a 3 way valve already installed from the factory. Should be simple enough to winterize myself this year.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #13

Water pump location

My 16.2 has the water pump on the driver side under the front diner seat. 4 screws and there it is. Make sure to turn the diverter valve. It can be sticky. There is a siphon tube but it is too short! I can only use about half a gallon and found the best way to do this was squeeze a funnel in and pour it in while running the pump. Next year will have a longer more flexible tube.

PS - beside the furnace.
Blue Timber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, pump, water, water pump