Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
NOBO 19.6 owner

Angry NOBO 19.6 HAS Boundaries

Well I hate to break it to you but the No Boundaries 19.6 HAS BOUNDARIES. This probably isn't the first time you are hearing it, but I don't believe this unit is made to go off-road more than any other trailer. Stickers and the off-road road tires are a good look, but it's all window dressing. Let me continue on with again I do like this unit a lot but it has flaws. This is my 3rd outing with it and this trip had us on a typical forest service road - graded and maintained. I was probably going 10 mph average and hit a couple of dips and unavoidable rocky patches. After arriving at camp I opened to the only to find a disaster. The microwave sitting half outside of it's housing, the fire extinguisher had come off the wall completely, the L bracket under the breakfast bar had lost a screw, the P trap under the kitchen sink and completely come apart, the kitchen faucet had come loose, something internally between the slide out and the refrigerator
looks like it tried to come out from the inside cracking the paneling, the paneling at the kitchen sink popped loose, the shelf under the kitchen sink was now loose, a wall bracket near slide lost its trim piece, the bathroom sink L bracket and butterfly nut were off and under the sink. The door shade had fallen apart on the main entry door. I think that about covers what I can see. I hate to know what I can't see or have yet to be surprised about in the future. This is just poor quality in build. Use some better glue, staples, use GLUE PERIOD, use loctite or something. I bring my drill and tools so was able to get everything back together and working for the remainder of the weekend, but fear any more than and old dirt road, and this thing is done for. Again it has limits, know yours. Weighing the positives and the negatives the NOBO 19.6 still comes out on top for me still BUT I AM SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, you would be NUTS not to buy it.
Jbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Team

IMHO, I don't think any of the mass produced RVs are truly off-road capable, no matter what cool and hip name they give them. No Boundaries, Geo Pro, E Pro all are made to look that way but are not.
Only small boutique (translation:Expensive) RV manufacturers are making true off-road RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbed View Post
Well I hate to break it to you but the No Boundaries 19.6 HAS BOUNDARIES. This probably isn't the first time you are hearing it, but I don't believe this unit is made to go off-road more than any other trailer. Stickers and the off-road road tires are a good look, but it's all window dressing. Let me continue on with again I do like this unit a lot but it has flaws. This is my 3rd outing with it and this trip had us on a typical forest service road - graded and maintained. I was probably going 10 mph average and hit a couple of dips and unavoidable rocky patches. After arriving at camp I opened to the only to find a disaster. The microwave sitting half outside of it's housing, the fire extinguisher had come off the wall completely, the L bracket under the breakfast bar had lost a screw, the P trap under the kitchen sink and completely come apart, the kitchen faucet had come loose, something internally between the slide out and the refrigerator
looks like it tried to come out from the inside cracking the paneling, the paneling at the kitchen sink popped loose, the shelf under the kitchen sink was now loose, a wall bracket near slide lost its trim piece, the bathroom sink L bracket and butterfly nut were off and under the sink. The door shade had fallen apart on the main entry door. I think that about covers what I can see. I hate to know what I can't see or have yet to be surprised about in the future. This is just poor quality in build. Use some better glue, staples, use GLUE PERIOD, use loctite or something. I bring my drill and tools so was able to get everything back together and working for the remainder of the weekend, but fear any more than and old dirt road, and this thing is done for. Again it has limits, know yours. Weighing the positives and the negatives the NOBO 19.6 still comes out on top for me still BUT I AM SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, you would be NUTS not to buy it.
Jbed,

Thank you for being a part of the No Boundaries family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new No Boundaries. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Danielle Beber in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...33666515659238.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
2020 NoBo 16.8

I did a boondock trip off a national forest fire road in June with my 16.8. Prepped the interior for the worst. Tied down the doors over the sink to prevent them from popping open. The interior survived with minor shifting of contents. Ended up dragging the rear bumper and spare tire on multiple swales in the road. Suspect that I also dragged the low-point drains. On return I shortened them a couple of inches also found a lift kit from FR to increase the height by 3.5". Planning another trip in Sept. Hope that it will be smoother and not cause under carriage damage again.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

I just bought a 2021 NOBO 19.6 and am very interested in what I can do to lock it down better. Please keep us posted.
Thank you
tonymydicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

I have taken our SV235RS on some serious bad roads in Wyoming with a 2000 F250 Super Duty. I am careful to keep my speed down on the dips, rocky patches (baby heads and bigger) and always watch the waste tank drains in the rearview mirrors. Also a lot of rough back roads with wash boards that always shifts the payload and opens the cabinet drawers. If you weren't going too fast that's a lot of damage. Ours also has the Torflex type axles.

I've always felt that interior cabinets add to the stiffness of the structure. So having those come loose is concerning. Our trailer only has a rear slide out for the bed, I was always concerned with large slides in the side diminishing the structural integrity.

I'm sure most of the people on the forum have no idea what these mountain roads are like. I have seen huge fifth wheels back in these areas and always wonder how they get them in there. paved KOA's are no fun. I also just road along in a lifted 2002 Lincoln Town Car with off road tires in a Gambler 500 Rally, smoothest ride I ever had on a 4x4 trail.....
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
2020 NoBo 16.8

With my NoBo 16.8 I use bungie cords to secure the cabinets and place heavier items in boxes on the floor. I placed a pool noodle in the microwave to hold the grate and rotating tray in place. Working on adding a second strap to the couch to secure the table and folding chairs.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #8

Sorry Jbed, that's unfortunate. I agree with bikedan on the off road worthiness. Other than decent clearance the rest of the rig is typical of a road trailer. One decent jar and the house of cards will fall. Thats why I drive ridiculously slow off pavement and have the motto that the time I save by going a little faster will always be less the time it will take me to fix everything! Good luck on the repairs and let us know if you find any other hidden areas that were impacted.
ZenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

I'm with you, JBed. We have an '18 19.5 and just returned from a few days at Wellington Lake here in CO. It's our 5th trip EVER in this camper, and it seems to be wearing out super fast. Not great construction, little things coming undone, basically what you said. This has solidified our decision to sell. We're going to get out from under this one, and get something much smaller and actually able to take some non-paved roads. I wish you luck!
Texorado is offline   Reply With Quote