RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Solar, Inverter and Battery Upgrade

Thought I would share my Solar, Inverter and Battery Upgrade. I added (2) 100ah Battle Born Batteries, a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter unit, 290w solar panel and solar charge controller. This should put keep our family of 3 fully self contained for a week or better in most conditions. I carry a Honda 2000 genny to charge things up if it's cloudy or shady for too long. It will easily allow me to power everything overnight, in freezing conditions (like at hunting camp) without running the genny. There are several really cool features with the Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. 1. It's a great charger for the lithium batteries. 2. It powers the entire 120v side of the camper from batteries, so I can use the microwave, make a pot of coffee, plug in my laptop etc. 3. There is a hybrid feature that can limit the incoming shore power if I'm only plugged into a 15amp outlet for example and take additional power from the batteries simultaneously if needed.

It's an expensive system, but I picked up the Victron on eBay for a decent price and I had a leftover solar module (panel) from my house. With a quality solar charge controller, you don't need an RV specific solar module. The OEM wiring for the solar pre-wire was 10awg and that was enough. It save a bunch of time not having to run wires for solar. I just mounted the solar panel to the factory roof rack and plugged it in.

I moved the whole system to the back of the camper by the breaker panel, including the batteries. I needed to get a little weight off my tongue anyway. Since they are lithium batteries, there is no worries about off-gassing or need for ventilation.

You can see I moved and rebuilt the wall panels in the rear storage hatch.

I didn't follow my schematic exactly, but it's pretty close.

I've only used the system for a couple nights so far, but I'll be taking it to hunting camp this weekend and it supposed to be cold, snowy and rainy. So it should get a good test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4086.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	243183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4087.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	243184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4088.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	243185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4089.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	243186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4090.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	243187  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4091.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	243188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	243189  
Old 11-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Factory Battery Converter

Have a NOBO 19.5 with an integrated converter in the power panel for charging the battery. How did you disable the converter when you installed the inverter/charger?
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
Have a NOBO 19.5 with an integrated converter in the power panel for charging the battery. How did you disable the converter when you installed the inverter/charger?
That was one of my big questions when I was planning this project. It's pretty easy though. Just turn off the AC breaker that feeds your charger converter. That's it. I also dropped the wire out of the breaker itself and capped it, to avoid accidentally turning it back on. Just remember that the wire that is currently charging your battery is what also powers all your 12 volt loads in that panel. It's a 2 way street. So that wire has to get reconnected back to the new batteries or somewhere along the positive bus. After I had everything installed, I had failed reconnect that wire and couldn't figure out why all of my 12 volt circuits were dead.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #4

Great post, very informative. We have a 19.7 and this is a great way to remove tongue weight and greatly reduce usage of generator.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

Thank you for your time. Great.information
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #6

Can I ask what you paid for that system. Pretty much exactly what I want to do to my trailer. I have a perfect location under the bed for everything ..did you install one panel or two?
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #7

Solar panels typically mounted on the roof produce 25 amps per day per 100 watts.

So the panel on its best day will give you 75 amps. I would want more. Double. For a rainy day. Be cautious about wire size etc. cheaper now than later. You have almost three days of battery. 70+ amps a day. Heaters use a ton of power.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter, solar, upgrade