RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

Thermostat

We currently have a NoBo 19.7. The location of the thermostat is extremely frustrating, as the kids often hit it when climbing in out of the bunks. Does anyone else have this problem, or come up with a solution for this?
Sinclair9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Can you post the make and model or a picture of your thermostat.
If it's a capacitive touch screen some have changed them out to physical button models to help with accidental presses.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
2020 NoBo 16.8

I would also like to change out to a different thermostat. Can someone recommend a replacement for the Dometic Capacitive Touch that would be a direct replacement?
Old 11-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry5594 View Post
I would also like to change out to a different thermostat. Can someone recommend a replacement for the Dometic Capacitive Touch that would be a direct replacement?

Ditto. I am traveling around with the face plate off because otherwise even rough road has been known to turn it on.
Noichi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #5

The capacitive touch TS was a direct swap out for this tactile switch TS. Just 3 wires. It does come in various selections matching what your existing TS has. Also comes in black if desired.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #6

I saw that one but the reviews on camping world were really bad. It got 1.8 stars for things like running the compressor when it doesn’t need to do so and not having good controls for running the fan. I was hoping for another option if anyone knows of one...
Old 11-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The capacitive touch TS was a direct swap out for this tactile switch TS. Just 3 wires. It does come in various selections matching what your existing TS has. Also comes in black if desired.
This is what our TT has and it's worked perfectly for almost 5 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This is what our TT has and it's worked perfectly for almost 5 years.

That is really good feedback. Thank you. It might be worth trying. I noted Amazon stopped selling that model but you can still find it some elsewhere.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #9

The issue with replacing the dometic 3 wire thermostats (that cover both heat and A/C anyway) is you need to run new wiring. The 3 wires are proprietary to a control box that is the full themostat wiring (see attached photo). The communication between them is digital on 1 wire (canbus) and +/- wires for the other 2. So you are either stuck with the 3wire dometic thermostat lineup or you have to find the box and run new wiring for a 4 or more likely 6 wire thermostat depending on how many AC units, heat pump or zones you may have. The conversion box is usually inside the ac unit or near the furnace.

If you are not an hvac person I would not suggest trying to replace this on your own as you will need to understand voltage differnces (most thermostats are 24v not 12v) and how various thermoststs work and it may require several relays if using a 24v thermostat to not fry any of the AC or furnace control boards.

To be fair the dometic UI is not the greatest and many people are confused by it which is why people complain about the A/C fan running when running the heat etc. If you review the manual (get good at the reset command) you will understand why it is doing what it is doing usually.

Hope that helps. If you decide to swap it out be sure and take lots of pictures to help anyone else willing to take the project on.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201101_162126.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	242348
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
The issue with replacing the dometic 3 wire thermostats (that cover both heat and A/C anyway) is you need to run new wiring. The 3 wires are proprietary to a control box that is the full themostat wiring (see attached photo). The communication between them is digital on 1 wire (canbus) and +/- wires for the other 2. So you are either stuck with the 3wire dometic thermostat lineup or you have to find the box and run new wiring for a 4 or more likely 6 wire thermostat depending on how many AC units, heat pump or zones you may have. The conversion box is usually inside the ac unit or near the furnace.

If you are not an hvac person I would not suggest trying to replace this on your own as you will need to understand voltage differnces (most thermostats are 24v not 12v) and how various thermoststs work and it may require several relays if using a 24v thermostat to not fry any of the AC or furnace control boards.

To be fair the dometic UI is not the greatest and many people are confused by it which is why people complain about the A/C fan running when running the heat etc. If you review the manual (get good at the reset command) you will understand why it is doing what it is doing usually.

Hope that helps. If you decide to swap it out be sure and take lots of pictures to help anyone else willing to take the project on.Attachment 242348

That does help. Thank you very much. I had read they moved to more of a network model wherein the traditional thermostat unit becomes more of remote control to facilitate multi unit installations. I guess that limit one to the same class of controller.

I have gotten past the learning curve of auto/low/high fan while on furnace etc stage of things. Now it is the wacky turning on while driving so you show up with drained batteries or randomly
resetting to 40 degrees in the middle of the night without input. That seemed to warrant excision but you all have been very helpful so if there are any ideas on how to avoid those I would be all over it.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Our black versions of this (2 in our unit) have worked flawlessly almost 6.5 years. Regarding "bad" reviews: it seems people write bad reviews when they don't understand how to operate equipment correctly.

Your "turning on while driving" issue hasn't happened to us.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

My 2012 GT378 came with the tactile switching TS and I did switch to the capacitive TS in 2019. Have not had an issue with either. I have heat strips so this is what my TS looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	242351  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #13

So true about reviews. I will try to source one and try it out. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

I have the capacitive touch also with no issues. I have had a scare or 2 with static electricity making the screen go wonky so now I ground out on the fridge before touching the tstat

They also make a Bluetooth one for when itís cold and across the trailer

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat