RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #1

Towing 2021 NOBO 19.3 with Benz GLB 250?

I don't think this is doable, but My friend just brought the NOBO 19.3 and is towing it with his benz glb 250. I did some calculation and he is maxing out. He have been on the road for over 1000 miles now and I guess he is doing fine.

What are your thoughts on this?

NOBO 19.3
unloaded weight: 4199
Hitch weight: 550

Benz GLB 250
Max weight: 5500
payload: 1250

Does this make sense to anyone? I told him not to do it but the saleman insist he can tow it with his SUV.

Please comments and thoughts on this.

Thank you
Old 02-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #2

GLB tow capacity is 3500 lbs.
221-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four

I tow our trailer with an F150. My wife needs to tow our 2500lb boat. We're looking at a GLE350 with 5000lb towing capacity. There's absolutely no way in heck I would let my wife tow the boat with a GLB.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
221-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four

I tow our trailer with an F150. My wife needs to tow our 2500lb boat. We're looking at a GLE350 with 5000lb towing capacity. There's absolutely no way in heck I would let my wife tow the boat with a GLB.
How is it possible that my friend is already towing 1000 miles already and posting his adventure online. This is crazy man!! i wish him luck and drive safe and slow.

Going upload will be struggling to keep it at 50 mph. So even if you can, that's not for me. I don't want to be the guy holding up traffic, or beating up my tow vehicle because it's at the absolute limit of it's performance.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
How is it possible that my friend is already towing 1000 miles already and posting his adventure online.

The simple answer is, that people hear what they want to once they've made up their mind. I would suggest you not buy his used tow vehicle once he decides to upgrade to a vehicle with a decent rating. We tow a much lighter 19.7 with a Ford Expedition Max with the tow options. A 19.3 would be doable for us but would definitely be felt. Towing with a unit body construction mini-suv that was derived from a passenger vehicle is not wise.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
221-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four.
If this is the GLB's tow rating, then its max hitch capacity is only 350lbs. So your friend is WAY over that. It's over by 200lbs before adding the weights of the battery, factory options, water and trailer cargo.
I hope he doesn't have his family in the car.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If this is the GLB's tow rating, then its max hitch capacity is only 350lbs. So your friend is WAY over that. It's over by 200lbs before adding the weights of the battery, factory options, water and trailer cargo.
I hope he doesn't have his family in the car.
I'm just curious, what happend if everything is maxed out? does stuff brake? If so like what kind of stuff will happend? Will the hitch break down? will the car break down? or stopping will be he issues?

comments?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm just curious, what happend if everything is maxed out? does stuff brake? If so like what kind of stuff will happend? Will the hitch break down? will the car break down? or stopping will be he issues?

comments?

- Long term wear items like suspension, engine wear prematurely
- Accelerated wear on brakes, tires, engine and drivetrain fluids.
- Vehicle performance reduced to unsafe levels

- Operating safety margins diminish
- Driver and passengers experience fatigue and anxiety
- Accident situations result in greater property and personal injury.

If you or your pal have not educated yourselves prior to selecting, purchasing, and operating a TV and trailer, you're putting everyone on the road at risk. I hope your/his situation gets safely remedied.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #8

Potentially catastrophic failure of the hitch if the weight is too high and the trailer tire hit a large pothole at highway speeds. The dynamic leads the hitch sees can be very high.

I believe this condition is referred to as "more money than brains"

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Potentially catastrophic failure of the hitch if the weight is too high and the trailer tire hit a large pothole at highway speeds. The dynamic leads the hitch sees can be very high.

I believe this condition is referred to as "more money than brains"
Thank you. I'll relay this to him to see if he can upgrade his car to a truck. Get rid of that GLB and get a real TRUCK!.. Hope he listen to me.. If not He is on his own. For the safety of his family and other.

I think what happend was he went to dealership and saw this NOBO and got all the fancy stuff and the sale person talk him into it. Like get it now, your SUV is fine towing it. Perfectly fine!! or something along the line. Any SUV can tow this with no issues.

I wish you can sue the dealership or saleman for giving you that info. I mean in a nutshell. Yes you can tow it. but should you tow it. NO??
Old 02-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you. I'll relay this to him to see if he can upgrade his car to a truck. Get rid of that GLB and get a real TRUCK!.. Hope he listen to me.. If not He is on his own. For the safety of his family and other.

I think what happend was he went to dealership and saw this NOBO and got all the fancy stuff and the sale person talk him into it. Like get it now, your SUV is fine towing it. Perfectly fine!! or something along the line. Any SUV can tow this with no issues.

I wish you can sue the dealership or saleman for giving you that info. I mean in a nutshell. Yes you can tow it. but should you tow it. NO??
It is not the dealer who is ultimately responsible for what you drive down the road. They are trying to sell you something. You are responsible for what you buy and how you use it. You need to make sure you do your homework.

If anyone ever listens or watches Mike Rowe, he talks about "Safety 3rd". Not as a joke but as a legitimate way to actually keep people more safe and the unintended consequences of a Safety 1st mindset. Well worth looking into.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #11

He seems to be barely within the margins of capability for his Benz. 5500# tow capacity, and if he subtracts the nearly 600# (with WDH) from the 1250# payload capacity, he'll have 650# to divvy up between humans, pets, luggage, food, toys, and so on.

Here's the rub. The GLB 250 does not have a factory tow package. This means no aux oil cooler, standard sized brakes, standard differential(s) without cooling, likely an aftermarket hitch, and so on. As you said, this is not a "truck." It's an expensive SUV, and a small one at that.

What he's doing is a bad idea for many reasons, not the least of which is that he will be demanding max performance from his Benz more or less all the time. It is very likely to experience expensive problems.

I would NOT want to be on the road with him on a long, steep, winding downhill that's so common in Colorado.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
He seems to be barely within the margins of capability for his Benz. 5500# tow capacity, and if he subtracts the nearly 600# (with WDH) from the 1250# payload capacity, he'll have 650# to divvy up between humans, pets, luggage, food, toys, and so on.

Here's the rub. The GLB 250 does not have a factory tow package. This means no aux oil cooler, standard sized brakes, standard differential(s) without cooling, likely an aftermarket hitch, and so on. As you said, this is not a "truck." It's an expensive SUV, and a small one at that.

What he's doing is a bad idea for many reasons, not the least of which is that he will be demanding max performance from his Benz more or less all the time. It is very likely to experience expensive problems.

I would NOT want to be on the road with him on a long, steep, winding downhill that's so common in Colorado.
He lived in Northern California, . So the drive is pretty flat and easy. He has been to San Francisco, Sequioa and Yosemite.

Wish him the best luck..

Tags
towing