Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Wifi upgradeable Sticker on a 2020 NoBo 19.6

I am in the process of purchasing a NoBo 19.6 In the window is the sticker that talks about the wireless upgrade. The dealer tells me that that refers to some subscription service. I thought it meant that the trailer is pre-wired for an upgrade to the TV antenna to add a WiFI repeater/booster. AM I wrong? Any links or contact data to get the options?
NoBo_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
2020 NoBo 16.8

WiFi upgrade

My NoBo 16.8 purchased in March 2020 had a window sticker that the TV antenna is prepped for EZ-Upgrade to include WiFi. Link to the site https:www.qavaftermarket.com provided the purchase option for parts for this. QAV/ continu-us web site does not have much information posted for the installation. It is easy to replace the OEM TV antenna with the new device to gain WiFi in addition to amplified TV. Only 4 screws and move the coax from OEM TV amp to the new WiFi + TV amplifier. I found that the only wire installed by FR was the TV Coax, which is all you really need. I pulled in the optional Ethernet and router reset wiring while working on the upgrade. Have not been able to test the range from the drive way but it is seeing many WiFi signals from the surrounding houses. I am picking up a couple of the local digital TV stations and one of the Washington DC stations from 30 Miles away.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

Hey Larry,
Yes it helps, I am having the dealer install it prior to my pickup.
It did take a bit to educate them on what that sticker meant though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry5594 View Post
My NoBo 16.8 purchased in March 2020 had a window sticker that the TV antenna is prepped for EZ-Upgrade to include WiFi. Link to the site https:www.qavaftermarket.com provided the purchase option for parts for this. QAV/ continu-us web site does not have much information posted for the installation. It is easy to replace the OEM TV antenna with the new device to gain WiFi in addition to amplified TV. Only 4 screws and move the coax from OEM TV amp to the new WiFi + TV amplifier. I found that the only wire installed by FR was the TV Coax, which is all you really need. I pulled in the optional Ethernet and router reset wiring while working on the upgrade. Have not been able to test the range from the drive way but it is seeing many WiFi signals from the surrounding houses. I am picking up a couple of the local digital TV stations and one of the Washington DC stations from 30 Miles away.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #4

Before I invested the money in upgrading that unit to WiFi, I'd review the specs, as chances are you can buy a superior standalone WiFi booster for less money.

Remember with WiFi you are at the mercy of the provider, and campground service usually is marginal, so many people install a cell phone booster and use phone tethering.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

For what it is worth. Our 2020 Surveyor had that same info. Took a while to find http://www.qavaftermarket.com/

I tried calling them several times. Left Vm after Vm. Sent several emails.

This was all before the Virus woes.

Finally got a phone call from a "person" at the vendor. First thing I was told is that:
" I always return my phone calls and reply to my emails. How dare you send an email that says otherwise"

Thanks, but no thanks. I will rip that stupid looking antenna off the roof before I upgrade with anything from that company. Oh and TV reception is not as good as the old furrion standby on our old trailer.

Your mileage may vary.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

Our 2020 has a built in WiFi repeater, however, are the WiFi facilities at campgrounds really useful? I.e., do they have enough available bandwidth to make them usable for anything other than checking email or light web browsing. Hotel WiFi is rarely very useful, so I tend to use a WiFi hotspot, cell phone tethering, or using my tablet’s cellular data connection. The WiFi repeater we have has the option to add a cellular network MODEM, which turns the repeater into a hot spot.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
Before I invested the money in upgrading that unit to WiFi, I'd review the specs, as chances are you can buy a superior standalone WiFi booster for less money.

Remember with WiFi you are at the mercy of the provider, and campground service usually is marginal, so many people install a cell phone booster and use phone tethering.
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

So this is a wifi booster if you are at a campground? Is it a hotspot? Am I better off just going with a Weboost Reach Network booster?
HeloSNA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloSNA24 View Post
So this is a wifi booster if you are at a campground? Is it a hotspot? Am I better off just going with a Weboost Reach Network booster?
Yes or any other free wifi. This QAV company appears to be worthless.

No.

Yes, according to my research, as long as you have decent cell coverage, the cell phone boosters seem to work pretty good. If you are in an area with no coverage, it won't magically give you coverage. I bought one, but have yet to install it.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBo_Rick View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a NoBo 19.6 In the window is the sticker that talks about the wireless upgrade. The dealer tells me that that refers to some subscription service. I thought it meant that the trailer is pre-wired for an upgrade to the TV antenna to add a WiFI repeater/booster. AM I wrong? Any links or contact data to get the options?
I picked up a 2021 19.6 that was manufactured in June. I picked it up two weeks ago. They used to use the Furrion LTE/WiFi compatible antenna however my 2021 did not come with the Furrion antenna. Which I was very happy that it didnt. The Furrion antenna forces you to use their LTE modem and you are locked into using the Furrion data plans which are terrible.

The antenna on my 19.6 is not LTE/WiFi compatible. Honestly not a big deal since I use an LB2120 Netgear LTE modem which works well with 2-3 bars. I have a cricket wireless data prepaid data plan ($50 for 40gig). Way cheaper than Furrions data plans. I think they dropped Furrion for 2021 so it might be something to check with dealer. Ask for the build sheet or grab the VIN and email Forest River whats installed.

Just wanted to add I use the LB2120 modem with a regular household router (netgear nighthawk). You can use an LTE hotspot but I wanted the option for wired connections too. Plus the router helps distribute the load.
dhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Update posting. After the dealer installation of the WIFI antenna not working and Contin-US not returning emails or phone calls, I engaged Forest River to put leverage on them to no avail. I finally was able to repeat the problems and symptoms the dealer was experiencing and in the setup manual was a phone number for QAV (distributor of the Contin-us), I called after hours and had to leave a message. Much to my surprise the next day I had a return call from the service group at QAV.

I called back ad was immediately was connected to the service tech that had called me. I explained what I was seeing and he passed me straight through to the warranty guy who put a replacement system in the mail to me the next day.

I received the replacement and installed it and everything works just as advertised (in my driveway). IT shows me at least 4 times as many networks in my area than I see with a phone or computer, so that is encouraging.

We head out this Friday, we will see if it works as well out on the road.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #12

Everything I've read about the QAV upgrade is bad. Just like some others have posted here, it is a big cost for little or no improvement. There are dual purpose TV/Cell boosters that get much better review than what is installed on our roofs. I'm waiting till I'm desperate to rip this thing off and go another direction.
Blue Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
Salty Senior

Talking Cute Little TV/WiFi Antenna...

I thought that silly antenna was a Horseshoe Crab ??? It is a shame it does not work well.
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
I thought that silly antenna was a Horseshoe Crab ??? It is a shame it does not jwork well.
I knew it reminded me of something:-)
The only difference is that the crab actually works better for TV HAHA
Old 10-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBo_Rick View Post
Update posting. After the dealer installation of the WIFI antenna not working and Contin-US not returning emails or phone calls, I engaged Forest River to put leverage on them to no avail. I finally was able to repeat the problems and symptoms the dealer was experiencing and in the setup manual was a phone number for QAV (distributor of the Contin-us), I called after hours and had to leave a message. Much to my surprise the next day I had a return call from the service group at QAV.

I called back ad was immediately was connected to the service tech that had called me. I explained what I was seeing and he passed me straight through to the warranty guy who put a replacement system in the mail to me the next day.

I received the replacement and installed it and everything works just as advertised (in my driveway). IT shows me at least 4 times as many networks in my area than I see with a phone or computer, so that is encouraging.

We head out this Friday, we will see if it works as well out on the road.
Well I am glad to hear that they have improved their customer care.

My one comment about your initial results in driveway. That antenna is outside your home and probably higher than your router in your house. I would expect it to work better.

Would be very interested to know your results at the campground. Let us know.
Best of luck!

Tags
upgrade, wifi