Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Winter Camping

I am still waiting on my NoBo 19.6 to be built and delivered, originally I was told that it could come in as early as October 1st and then later told in mid November and last week I was told it maybe in early December.
It looks like if I'm going to be able to use it once I pick it up then I'm looking at some winter camping which doesn't bother me at all.

The salesman I spoke with at Forest River assured me that the NoBo's could handle freezing weather but would not put a specific low temp to his claim so I'm hoping that some of the NoBo owners have used there NoBo's during some winter months and would have a good estimate of what low temps can be endured comfortably while doing their winter camping. So if you have winter camping experience while in your NoBo please provide some feedback...
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Multi-Slacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,160
Our trailer has made it down to 25°F with the water hose disconnected. I would not go any lower nor would I want to try and camp in sustained sub-freezing temps. I imagine the NoBo is no better equipped for cold - but I might be wrong.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sonoma 280RKS
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,268
Are the tanks heated?

Does the furnace heat the water lines?

Does the rv have an enclosed underbelly with batt insulation?

Ours has these. Single digit temps were manageable. The furnace used lots of propane.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Are the tanks heated?

Does the furnace heat the water lines?

Does the rv have an enclosed underbelly with batt insulation?

Ours has these. Single digit temps were manageable. The furnace used lots of propane.
Amen to lots of propane.

I wintered in a 95 Terry that I had to add heaters to holding tanks (water tank was above floor under couch).

Lowest temp during the 6 months I lived in it was -15 F. LOTS of propane, like 40-50 GALLONS per month during coldest months. That translates to over 10 20# tanks or more per month.

Rather than schlep tanks back and forth to a fill station I just rented a 250 gallon tank from the distributor and they would top it off once a month. I was set up in an RV Park but camping of course is more problematic.


An option of course would be to do like we did in the Army. A tent like this with a Herman Nelson Heater:



Then park inside the heated tent where the temp is a LITTLE warmer
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post

The salesman I spoke with at Forest River assured me that the NoBo's could handle freezing weather.
Don't believe that information. Your trailer is only 3 season at best. It is not insulated enough for sustained freezing temps.
If you don't have electric hookups, the furnace will drain a single battery in a single night.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Winter Camping

I didn't have the specs on what their entire cold weather package consists of but I found a FR NoBo Facebook page in which they described the package as follows:
The cold weather package on the NoBo 19.3 includes an enclosed underbelly, gate valves, a termination cover, and heating pads on the fresh, gray, and black water tanks. I wish they had the heated underbelly with the furnace like some of their other models with the enclosed underbelly but the most I can hope for with the NoBo is maybe radiant heat from the furnace to the underbelly.

I would assume this is the same for all NoBo's that include their cold weather certification. So with this in mind does it enhance the chance of doing some winter camping as long as the temp stays in say the 20's at night and maybe rises between the 30's to 40's during the day and I stay at an RV park with a 30 amp service connection? The first thing I intend to do after I pick it up is to mount a propane rack that can hold (2) 20# tanks instead of their single rack that comes standard.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
I wish they had the heated underbelly with the furnace like some of their other models with the enclosed underbelly but the most I can hope for with the NoBo is maybe radiant heat from the furnace to the underbelly.

On one of the facebook groups a person showed how they made theirs really cold weather reliable. They took a small, silent squirrel cage style blower and in an unobtrusive area cut out a port in the floor and mounted the output of the fan to the underbelly. With the underbelly fairly well sealed and with a couple of strategically placed underbelly vents, the fan puts out enough warm cabin air to prevent freezing. Rather genius, I'd say!
__________________
2019 NOBO 19.7 - dual propane, dual GC batteries
2019 Ford Expedition Max, payload ~ 1700
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 38
Our 19.8 is still at the dealer for warranty work but we did pick it up and go camp a couple weekends ago. It got down to the 30’s and I learned a couple things that might help you.

The cold weather package includes tank heaters which is good. But unless you have an electrical connection I would be hesitant to use them as your furnace will be using a lot of power.

These trailers with Azdel are really quite well insulated compared to our old trailer. Night 1 we used the furnace and it was not bad but as a light sleeper it woke me often. Night 2 we used a small electric heater set on low and it was so warm it was hard to sleep for me. Night 3 we set the electric heater to 60 degrees and had a great night sleep. If you have an electric connection consider using a small heater instead of the furnace for a better nights sleep.

These trailers use pex plumbing so with the tank heaters on and an electric heater running I am not too concerned if it dips below freezing for short periods. For extended periods I really like the idea of circulating warmer cabin air through the under belly.

Best of luck to you!
Spey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spey View Post
Our 19.8 is still at the dealer for warranty work but we did pick it up and go camp a couple weekends ago. It got down to the 30’s and I learned a couple things that might help you.

The cold weather package includes tank heaters which is good. But unless you have an electrical connection I would be hesitant to use them as your furnace will be using a lot of power.

These trailers with Azdel are really quite well insulated compared to our old trailer. Night 1 we used the furnace and it was not bad but as a light sleeper it woke me often. Night 2 we used a small electric heater set on low and it was so warm it was hard to sleep for me. Night 3 we set the electric heater to 60 degrees and had a great night sleep. If you have an electric connection consider using a small heater instead of the furnace for a better nights sleep.

These trailers use pex plumbing so with the tank heaters on and an electric heater running I am not too concerned if it dips below freezing for short periods. For extended periods I really like the idea of circulating warmer cabin air through the under belly.

Best of luck to you!

Spey, I know from following some of your prior posts your 19.8 is basically brand new, could you elaborate on what type of warranty issues you are experiencing and how would you rate the overall quality of your build? Any major issues that I should be on the lookout for when I pick my 19.6 up?

The tank heaters you mentioned, I assume I would not need to power these on until the temp was dropping below 32 degree overnight, is that correct?

You also mentioned that you like the idea of circulating warmer cabin air through the underbelly, have you seen an easy way to accomplish this with your NoBo other than cutting holes in the floor?

Also Thanks for the tip concerning the electric space heater, if being in cold weather still allowed you to heat your camper with just your electric heater in place of your gas furnace it sounds like the NoBo is pretty well insulated. Good Luck with your warranty work!
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 141
You can do what you want but any RV that doesn't have dual pane windows is going to be a problem with humidity on the windows. If you don't take care of it they drip down the inside and start screwing up your walls. This will take a few seasons but it will happen. I had friends who camped in the winter every year in their RV's including a fairly high level 5th wheel and they has these problems and eventually the walls started to peel. Even if the walls don't peel it starts to get a little moldy inside.

On a smaller unit it can be even worse if you want to cook or if there are a few people in there because the humidity levels get so high.

A real 4 seasons camper is usually one that has 3 inch walls and dual pane windows like a Riverstone, Mobile Suites, Redwood, etc. All over $100K!!!
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
Spey, I know from following some of your prior posts your 19.8 is basically brand new, could you elaborate on what type of warranty issues you are experiencing and how would you rate the overall quality of your build? Any major issues that I should be on the lookout for when I pick my 19.6 up?

The tank heaters you mentioned, I assume I would not need to power these on until the temp was dropping below 32 degree overnight, is that correct?

You also mentioned that you like the idea of circulating warmer cabin air through the underbelly, have you seen an easy way to accomplish this with your NoBo other than cutting holes in the floor?

Also Thanks for the tip concerning the electric space heater, if being in cold weather still allowed you to heat your camper with just your electric heater in place of your gas furnace it sounds like the NoBo is pretty well insulated. Good Luck with your warranty work!
The warranty work is pretty basic stuff.

Water heater gas jet not properly aligned and damaged wiring and mother board. Likely heater mfg issue. Covered by warranty.

Front blind had a broken string and wouldn’t stay up. Also was really strange that the lower attachment points were 2” above the bottom of the window. That was a fr issue. Covered under warranty.

Front windshield leak when it started raining. Covered under warranty.

Really nothing major and as I said, Camping World has taken care of us.

Sorry, no knowledge of running cabin air through the belly. Read it above and the idea made perfect sense.

I would absolutely still buy this trailer again. Even my wife, who picked and loved our big trailer, gets this trailer and loves it.
Spey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
You can do what you want but any RV that doesn't have dual pane windows is going to be a problem with humidity on the windows. If you don't take care of it they drip down the inside and start screwing up your walls. This will take a few seasons but it will happen. I had friends who camped in the winter every year in their RV's including a fairly high level 5th wheel and they has these problems and eventually the walls started to peel. Even if the walls don't peel it starts to get a little moldy inside.

On a smaller unit it can be even worse if you want to cook or if there are a few people in there because the humidity levels get so high.

A real 4 seasons camper is usually one that has 3 inch walls and dual pane windows like a Riverstone, Mobile Suites, Redwood, etc. All over $100K!!!
Good points and a good reason to sleep cold and ventilated…
Spey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
You can do what you want but any RV that doesn't have dual pane windows is going to be a problem with humidity on the windows. If you don't take care of it they drip down the inside and start screwing up your walls. This will take a few seasons but it will happen. I had friends who camped in the winter every year in their RV's including a fairly high level 5th wheel and they has these problems and eventually the walls started to peel. Even if the walls don't peel it starts to get a little moldy inside.

On a smaller unit it can be even worse if you want to cook or if there are a few people in there because the humidity levels get so high.

A real 4 seasons camper is usually one that has 3 inch walls and dual pane windows like a Riverstone, Mobile Suites, Redwood, etc. All over $100K!!!

NJ, thank you for sharing your knowledge concerning winter camping. I had no background on winter camping and never realized that using this camper during the winter could create all of the moisture issues you described. My NoBo has Azdel walls which is suppose to protect it from the effects of moisture along with aluminum framing and foam insulation so originally I figured I was in pretty decent shape for some winter camping but you brought up some issues I hadn't thought about. If I would forego using the propane furnace due to the fact it would be putting more moisture into the camper would using an electric space heater along with a small dehumidifier work for a few trips while the temps stay above freezing?

Also after winterizing our NoBo for the upcoming winter I had planned on using a small electric space heater set at something above freezing (50 to 60 degrees) while in storage outside. Will I be helping protect my RV during the winter by doing this or not? I live in SE Tennessee where we don't have brutal winters but it can dip into the teens at night during dead of winter...
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spey View Post
The warranty work is pretty basic stuff.

Water heater gas jet not properly aligned and damaged wiring and mother board. Likely heater mfg issue. Covered by warranty.

Front blind had a broken string and wouldn’t stay up. Also was really strange that the lower attachment points were 2” above the bottom of the window. That was a fr issue. Covered under warranty.

Front windshield leak when it started raining. Covered under warranty.

Really nothing major and as I said, Camping World has taken care of us.

Sorry, no knowledge of running cabin air through the belly. Read it above and the idea made perfect sense.

I would absolutely still buy this trailer again. Even my wife, who picked and loved our big trailer, gets this trailer and loves it.

Spey, thanks for the vote of confidence on your NoBo, I'm hoping mine will be in ahead of schedule but with my luck and the FR backlog that probably will not happen.

As for your windshield leak did they just add another bead of caulking around the outside lip of the window or did they remove it and replace the rubber seal similar to an automotive windshield? Also have you read of anything that can be used to protect the windshield from getting chipped or cracked while on the road? I wished they had a setup where I could place a protective cover over it while traveling and remove it during setup...
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 141
SE Tennessee isn't the Pocono's in NE PA that is for sure. But still the condensation is from the temperature difference so even if it is 30 degrees difference from outside to inside with the right amount of humidity then condensation could still form.

I don't know about Azdal. Is it used on the outside walls or outside and inside. That would make a big difference since if it is Luan on the inside then it hasn't changed the concerns I see.

You have some good ideas and I would start with the de-humidifier or during the day crack the top vent a little. I guess what I'm saying is watch it and work different ideas to solve it. I believe most of the humidity is just from your breath but for sure the windows get a lot of condensation on them. Up here in the Northeast that is the reason for dual pane or storm windows on our homes. Same thing, condensation buildup will ruin the window frames in a home but in a trailer it will peel the wall paper and then also bubble up the luan on the inside walls.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
I don't know about Azdal. Is it used on the outside walls or outside and inside. That would make a big difference since if it is Luan on the inside then it hasn't changed the concerns I see.

You have some good ideas and I would start with the de-humidifier or during the day crack the top vent a little. I guess what I'm saying is watch it and work different ideas to solve it. I believe most of the humidity is just from your breath but for sure the windows get a lot of condensation on them. Up here in the Northeast that is the reason for dual pane or storm windows on our homes. Same thing, condensation buildup will ruin the window frames in a home but in a trailer it will peel the wall paper and then also bubble up the luan on the inside walls.

NJ, the Azdel panels are fairly new to the RV industry, I'm adding their website description of these composite panels below:
They are produced using a patented blend of polypropylene and fiberglass to create a strong, lightweight, quiet, weather and temperature resistant, odorless and environmentally friendly wall that will increase the life of your RV. With twice the insulation value, excellent strength, and half the weight of wood, our composite material increases durability and lightens your adventure.

Not sure if FR is sandwiching their aluminum frame with Azdel composite boards on both sides but I was told that they used it as backing for the fiberglass exterior walls. This was the main selling point that I wanted to make sure I had with my new camper since I had many friends with campers and most seem to have had some de-lamination issues over the years with portions of their fiberglass walls.

I will take your advice and if I begin seeing issues with condensation running down on my windows I will just call a halt to my winter adventures. Do most RVers try and keep their campers above freezing temps with a small space heater while stored and winterized for the winter? I was thinking anything above freezing would suffice, maybe 40 to 60 degrees but I would like to know what the general thoughts about properly caring for the camper during the winter are.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 141
I haven't heard of anybody putting heaters in their RV's during storage. Up hear in the Northeast it would be a waste of money. I would say that average night time temperatures are in the teens from December thru probably early March. Some nights higher, many nights lower so that space heater wouldn't do anything.

Just winterize it and bring the battery indoors. Some put a trickle charger on the battery I just try to remember to charge it once or twice during the winter.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 15,188
Just a note I didn't see addressed... the factory propane furnace does not add moisture to your unit. The exhaust is totally separate from the inside (otherwise you'd have carbon monoxide poisoning) and any moisture produced by the burning of propane goes out the exhaust vent.

What does creat moisture is things like breathing (yes just breathing, ever see your breath on a cold day!) bathing, wet towels, doing dishes and the like.

While it sounds counterintuitive, keep a vent open partially to allow moisture to escape.

Use your electric heater during the day to supplement the furnace (when outside temperatures are higher) but set it lower at night so the furnace runs a few times to keep the underbelly from getting too cold.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel•Goodyear Endurance Tires•2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 15,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
I haven't heard of anybody putting heaters in their RV's during storage. Up hear in the Northeast it would be a waste of money. I would say that average night time temperatures are in the teens from December thru probably early March. Some nights higher, many nights lower so that space heater wouldn't do anything.

Just winterize it and bring the battery indoors. Some put a trickle charger on the battery I just try to remember to charge it once or twice during the winter.
No need to remove the battery and bring inside.
A property charged and disconnected FLA (flooded lead acid) battery is good to about -40°F before there are concerns of freezing and will keep its state of charge for approximately 6 months.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel•Goodyear Endurance Tires•2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,493
I run a small dehumidifier when I camp, even the AC unit is not enough to keep humidity down, especially at night when it's not cycling often. It's been so humid in NJ lately, I even have it running parked in driveway since my last trip out last month.


The humidity problems become very evident when it's colder outside, which will result in actual condensation on indoor surfaces.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping, winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.