Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Site Team

Seeking information on Ford Transit

The site team is seeking information from members who may have RV's utilizing the Ford Transit, in order to see if there may be a reason to make a specific subsection for them, similar to the Mercedes Benz Sprinter (MBS).

From what we can tell, the Ford Transit can be either a Class B or C depending on the configuration/chassis used.

This link from Ford shows that Coachmen uses such in a Class B Crossfit and a Coachmen Class C Orion, but we don't currently know what else FR makes with them, and thus are asking owners of such for their input, including the nuances/differences of the Transit.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...8_ARLSD%20.pdf

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Team

The Ford Transit chassis is significantly different than the E-450 based units and should have it's own subforum.

The current chassis is much smaller and uses a gas V-6 or a I-5 diesel engine.
The current transmission is in the same family as the E-450.
The suspension is a modern independent design unlike the E-450.
The way FR delivers most Transits they cannot tow anything...Coachman adds a Class 1 hitch.

Inside many of the appliances are different than other RV's. The refrigerator, the Truma Combi water heater / furnace combo unit, and converter were unique to the Sunseeker / Forester TS Series. The Coachmen line up shares some of those unique appliances and adds a couple as well.

Ford has introduced a new Transit for 2020. It will add new unique engines and a different transmission.

As far as the Class B side they will share the majority of questions / concerns the C side has... I've considered the Coachmen units but either they are too small or I'm too big...

This is one of the times were the only thing in common between the E-450 and the Transit 350HD chassis is the name Ford. That alone is a darn good reason to add the sub forum as was done for the Sprinter. Add in that the E-450 has been replaced by the Transit in most markets and it is obviously the future of Ford based RV's. You might as get started now rather than try to move posts later like was done when the Sprinter sub forum was created...

I have previously owned a Transit based Sunseeker TS2390. When FR starts selling the TS2370 on the new 2020 chassis their is a very good chance we'll buy one...

That's my 50 cents worth... Any specific questions?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The Ford Transit chassis is significantly different than the E-450 based units and should have it's own subforum.

The current chassis is much smaller and uses a gas V-6 or a I-5 diesel engine.
The current transmission is in the same family as the E-450.
The suspension is a modern independent design unlike the E-450.
The way FR delivers most Transits they cannot tow anything...Coachman adds a Class 1 hitch.

Inside many of the appliances are different than other RV's. The refrigerator, the Truma Combi water heater / furnace combo unit, and converter were unique to the Sunseeker / Forester TS Series. The Coachmen line up shares some of those unique appliances and adds a couple as well.

Ford has introduced a new Transit for 2020. It will add new unique engines and a different transmission.

As far as the Class B side they will share the majority of questions / concerns the C side has... I've considered the Coachmen units but either they are too small or I'm too big...

This is one of the times were the only thing in common between the E-450 and the Transit 350HD chassis is the name Ford. That alone is a darn good reason to add the sub forum as was done for the Sprinter. Add in that the E-450 has been replaced by the Transit in most markets and it is obviously the future of Ford based RV's. You might as get started now rather than try to move posts later like was done when the Sprinter sub forum was created...

I have previously owned a Transit based Sunseeker TS2390. When FR starts selling the TS2370 on the new 2020 chassis their is a very good chance we'll buy one...

That's my 50 cents worth... Any specific questions?
Very helpful post.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Team

It appears there is no Coachmen Crossfit, as per the Ford pdf link. It takes you to the Coachmen Beyond webpage, so assuming FR made a name change.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Thank you for adding the new sub forum.
Coachmen did rename the Crossfit Class B to the Beyond. The Cross Trek is their new small Class C based on the Transit...
Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Thank you for adding the new sub forum.
Coachmen did rename the Crossfit Class B to the Beyond. The Cross Trek is their new small Class C based on the Transit...
OK, we are trying to get a good number of current FR RV's utilizing a Ford Transit chassis.

So far we have two Forester models, two Sunseeker models, six Coachmen Orion models, one Coachmen Cross Trek model, and two Coachmen Beyond Class B models?

Do you know of any more?

Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Do you know of any more?
I think that about does it for current models... The Sunseeker 2390 / Forester 2391 is still being sold but is Dealer Stock only. So there are three models from that group.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Actually I was not counting those, if that is the correct model number. I was perusing Forest Rivers brochures and was only counting the Forester 2371 and 2381 models, with the Sunseeker 2370 and 2380 models.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Site Team

The TS 2390 is still listed on FR Sunseeker webpage. It was replaced by the 2380 last year.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Gotcha. This is what I was going by:

Forester TS Models:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/...019...planposter.pdf

Sunseeker TS Models:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/...19s...planposter.pdf

Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK, we are trying to get a good number of current FR RV's utilizing a Ford Transit chassis.

So far we have two Forester models, two Sunseeker models, six Coachmen Orion models, one Coachmen Cross Trek model, and two Coachmen Beyond Class B models?

Do you know of any more?

Adding a Coachmen Freelander, one model (20CB).

Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #12

Good to have a dedicated Transit Forum

Thanks, Moderators, for creating a Transit Series Forum. I had mentioned this to Lou, and am pleased to see how quickly it has gotten done. Also thanks to Wayne (RedLdr1) who has already been a help to me elsewhere in the Forums, for his information. I have a new [double year end] 2017 Sunseeker 2390 with about 1000 miles on it, that I am working on to make it road worthy. I have probably already fixed about a dozen things already with help from my Dealer and Forest River warranty folks. From having spent a lot of time crawling around mine, I would offer that these are nice units for two people, and their smaller size is in keeping with the trend toward smaller units in general. The Transit is a less expensive alternative to Sprinter based units. Looking forward to getting on the road in a couple of weeks, and seeing what develops in this Forum. PS driving home 160 miles after taking delivery, the computer said we got 13.6mpg driving up to 65mph.
rib2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #13

Thanks for adding this from another 2017 20cb Transit new to me now owner
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford