Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

spare removal

Newbie here. Cut a tire on a curb and tried to remove the spare by inserting the the Ford supplied equipment through what I assume is the access bushing in the coach body but it wouldn’t reach the socket for the lowering cable. Fortunately the tire held pressure. What am I missing?
georgedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Access to Spare Lowering Cable

On the 2016 20CB I own, the spare tire lowering port is positioned right behind the right rear dual tires in the chassis rail. Some of the Ford supplied spare tire tools are not for motorhome use, but are for the Transit VAN, so they are useless for our needs.

My lowering tools include three 10" long 1/2" extensions to get past the coach body, 1/2" ratchet handle and appropriate sized socket. The motorhome is under it's winter cover (I'm in NW Minnesota) so I can't tell you (aka: can't recall) what size socket is used.

Are you sure you have a spare? Generally speaking, the spare tire on the 20CB was eliminated due to overall total weight restrictions. I believe that in later years of the 20CB (post 2016 or 2017) the spare tire mounting system was eliminated in the Transit 350HD cut-away chassis production.
VitoNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am sure I have a spare, having spent a fair amount of time under there making a receiver for the bike rack. Stupidly, I should have indicated what motorhome I have, but didn't. It is a 2018 Sunseeker 2380, built on a 2016 chassis. I agree that the Ford supplied equipment is not going to help me at all. I guess I will have to invest in a similar setup to yours. Not sure if I need a socket at the end, the manual says to put the tire iron into the receiver. May have to fabricate something, when the weather gets warmer. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

We may have different coach bodies, mine a Coachmen, but our 2016 Transit 350HD cab and chassis, referred to as a "cutaway" before it becomes a motorhome, are the same. However, during any year of production who knows how many changes Ford might have taken.

Our rig did not come with a spare, but like I'd mentioned before, it did have the lifting mechanism. While at Coachmen for some warranty work I inquired if they had any spares laying around. They did. The brand new spare was hoisted up in place and it was free!

Good luck. If you have other questions just ask.

You're in Delaware huh? Have a crab dinner for me!
VitoNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #5

Our Freelander Micro 20cb Ford Transit 350HD did not come with a spare either so I went the Amazon route and bought hitch mount spare tire mount and a Road Ready dually wheel and tire from a local shop - total cost $300+ but fits nicely and can still access the rear storage area and feel much better about having a spare vs not. The spare tire would have fit in the storage but not room for much else.
PDQ219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #6

Spare Tire

Thanks for checking in PDQ with your resolution for a spare tire. Much easier access than having a spare tucked up underneath as I do.

I'm curious: with the spare being in the middle of the bumper, how do you now access the very rear access door where you reach waaaay in through the -Low Drain- port to operate the drain valves? Do you have to dismount the spare?

I'm the same guy as VitoNam is. See above replies.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #7

I've been working at fabricating a surrogate for the too short tire iron. I picked up a 3/4" diameter by 36" steel bar from Lowe's and was able to turn it down to a diameter that matched the tire iron. I cut the end so that it resembles the hub cap pry wedge thingie and pushed it through the coach opening this afternoon and it seemed to engage something. I was unable to turn it by hand because it only has a 3/4" diameter. I am working on the bar to weld a nut that matches the lug size so I can use the tire iron to turn the bar. If it works I'll post pictures. If not, I'll let you know that too.

George
Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Thanks for checking in PDQ with your resolution for a spare tire. Much easier access than having a spare tucked up underneath as I do.

I'm curious: with the spare being in the middle of the bumper, how do you now access the very rear access door where you reach waaaay in through the -Low Drain- port to operate the drain valves? Do you have to dismount the spare?

I'm the same guy as VitoNam is. See above replies.
Will try to add pics to show this but the spare tire hitch allows a variety of settings that set the tire far enough from the coach body that the rear hatch can open most of the way and can be lifted off entirely to allow complete access - I did try the hitch that folds down but it did not fit the spare wheel holes and was not heavy duty enough the one I got from Amazon is RV Truck Receiver Hitch Spare Tire Mount U-4800
Old 04-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQ219 View Post
Our Freelander Micro 20cb Ford Transit 350HD did not come with a spare either so I went the Amazon route and bought hitch mount spare tire mount and a Road Ready dually wheel and tire from a local shop - total cost $300+ but fits nicely and can still access the rear storage area and feel much better about having a spare vs not. The spare tire would have fit in the storage but not room for much else.

That's all good for the Coachmen owners, but sadly, the current Sunseeker and Forester Transit models don't even come with a trailer hitch.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

Can someone tell me how to post pics to these - I was able to move some from the I-Phone photos to the I-Cloud and then to the photos section at the top of this website but don't know if this is the way to go and if so what to do next.