Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Add Idaho to the list of "Stay at Home" states.

Effective this afternoon.
Idaho Gov. Brad Little (R) said Wednesday that he will order residents to remain in their homes most of the time to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus for the next 21 days.

“Idaho is now in a new stage,” Little said Wednesday, according to the Idaho Statesman. “We absolutely have to have this take place.”

The order, like most other state-level mandates, will include exemptions for grocery shopping and outdoor exercise near home.

Workers deemed essential, such as those in the health care and public safety industries, also will be exempt from the order, while all other businesses “must take all steps necessary for employees to work remotely from home,” the order states.

Little’s order also bars nonessential travel and mandates that businesses and government offices cease “nonessential operations at physical locations across Idaho.”
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

Its interesting that when talking about essential folks they never mention those engaged in AG like the cowboys or dairy farm workers. If these folks stop working our food supply drops. A good share of our state is engaged in ranching and farming so far 139 confirmed seems like a small number until you compare it to our state population which I believe is less then the city of San Francisco. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

Protecting those farmers and ranchers from getting this virus is a high priority as is protecting our health care workers. If a 'stay at home' helps keep this from spreading and killing more people, it'll be worth it.
Health care facilities are not as available for rural areas and you don't want the hospitals filled with covid19 patients when someone gets injured on the job.

We went from closing bars, restaurants, movie theaters, schools which caused a run on grocery stores to a 'stay at home' which has now caused another run on grocery stores. What surprises me a bit is how few people are using 'takeout' or delivery from restaurants but will wait in lines to get into a grocery store.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #4

It may be the part of the county I live in or this area but myself and most of my peers keep a good supply of stock on hand (winter travel can be tough) and don't tend to eat out so using take out just doesn't come to mind.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
D W

Here in Anchorage we are going on week two of "stay at home" order from our Mayor, and day 6 of the Governor's state wide directive to stay home. Essential Services are exempt from both orders. The "essential list" is eleven pages long. Our local news channel dissected the data and found out that the essential services is 53.7% of the Anchorage work force. Hardly a stay at home situation here for most. At last count we had 38 Covid19 cases with one death, although that person contracted the infection while recently in Oregon and came back to Alaska with it. Plain to see that we are an essential services society these days.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
What surprises me a bit is how few people are using 'takeout' or delivery from restaurants but will wait in lines to get into a grocery store.
The answer to this may well be "money". Compare the cost of one takeout meal with the cost of staple items to make more than one meal.

If I take my Daughter to lunch at a restaurant (now it would be just pick up "take-out") the anount of the bill is usually enough to pay for 1/3 of my grocery bill for a week.

From the looks of the shelves in my local Walmart, people are going back to older times and cooking for themselves. Flour is sold out with sugar close behind. Yeast hasn't been on the shelves for two weeks. Good luck finding a can of soup, chili, pasta sauce, or even pasta.

People have suddenly become far more frugal than they were a month ago, eating out most nights and if they cooked at home it was maybe a BBQ or the like.

I did see on TV last night that "Delivery Pizza" is enjoying boom times.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The answer to this may well be "money". Compare the cost of one takeout meal with the cost of staple items to make more than one meal.

If I take my Daughter to lunch at a restaurant (now it would be just pick up "take-out") the anount of the bill is usually enough to pay for 1/3 of my grocery bill for a week.

From the looks of the shelves in my local Walmart, people are going back to older times and cooking for themselves. Flour is sold out with sugar close behind. Yeast hasn't been on the shelves for two weeks. Good luck finding a can of soup, chili, pasta sauce, or even pasta.

People have suddenly become far more frugal than they were a month ago, eating out most nights and if they cooked at home it was maybe a BBQ or the like.

I did see on TV last night that "Delivery Pizza" is enjoying boom times.
If this Covid mess were to end in a few weeks I think the local food donation sites will have a storage problem.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
If this Covid mess were to end in a few weeks I think the local food donation sites will have a storage problem.
Right now they're having a problem with not enough donations. Stores are selling everything in some cases before it makes it's way off the pallets and on to the shelves. Donations of surplus food has dried up and Food Banks are having to buy at retail prices.

I'm not so sure that very much of the hoarded supplies will be donated. People will just "eat out of the pantry" for some time before returning to the store when the crisis is over.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #9

I'm thinking of isolating in my RV in Hells Canyon or up the Salmon from Riggins. It is fueled and ready to go so no need to interact with anyone. And we have lots of food and TP.

I'm not sure that the order will do anything for Idaho. It is a big hurt for those who need their job's income. I certainly believe we need to do everything possible to protect our healthcare workers and those who are in contact with many people. I have a son and daughter in law who work in hospitals.

I'm looking forward to Trump's going forward orders. IMHO he is completely on the right track, from when he closed travel from China and Europe (with criticism from those who think perks like giving $35 million to entertainment venue are part of responding to this) to how he is handling the federal response and briefings. I believe we are getting the data needed to make much smarter decisions than the current "one size fits all" pronouncements. Obviously a farmer in Idaho interacts with far fewer people than someone who lives 20 stories up and travels daily via subway.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Its interesting that when talking about essential folks they never mention those engaged in AG like the cowboys or dairy farm workers. If these folks stop working our food supply drops. A good share of our state is engaged in ranching and farming so far 139 confirmed seems like a small number until you compare it to our state population which I believe is less then the city of San Francisco. JMHO

Still not likely to come into contact with one unless you fly your Gulfstream into Sun Valley Airport...which apparently a lot of Californicators have done to put most of our cases in Blaine County.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...241448211.html

BTW, still no cases in Boise County, where I live.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

We had stocked the motor home to go on a six week trip to AZ, TX, and then Fla. When everything got closed or cancelled, we simply put all that stuff back in the house and shelves. No need to shop or hoard now!! Yes, eastern Idaho is still doing pretty good, but the Sun Valley area is a mess.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
We had stocked the motor home to go on a six week trip to AZ, TX, and then Fla. When everything got closed or cancelled, we simply put all that stuff back in the house and shelves. No need to shop or hoard now!! Yes, eastern Idaho is still doing pretty good, but the Sun Valley area is a mess.

We just got back from a similar 4,000 mile trip...left out FL. Our furtherest destination was Big Bend National Park in TX. Escaped NM just before they closed State Parks. No issues on rest of trip. Even rode the bus in Grand Canyon (nearly two weeks ago, and now closed but initial reaction was to not allow standing, reducing bus capacity by 1/2). There were still some European visitors but no Asian Asians.

It was a great trip!'
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Still not likely to come into contact with one unless you fly your Gulfstream into Sun Valley Airport...which apparently a lot of Californicators have done to put most of our cases in Blaine County.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...241448211.html

BTW, still no cases in Boise County, where I live.
This is the big problem. Cities like Ketchum that have lots of tourism, and the wealthy that see it as a perceived escape from major metro areas, or that the rules don't apply to them because they're rich.

The owner of the aircraft I fly has a house in Sun Valley. He's being smart and staying home.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
This is the big problem. Cities like Ketchum that have lots of tourism, and the wealthy that see it as a perceived escape from major metro areas, or that the rules don't apply to them because they're rich.

The owner of the aircraft I fly has a house in Sun Valley. He's being smart and staying home.

Yes, if you look at our State map of cases Blaine County (Sun Valley/Ketchum), Ada County (Boise with airport), and Couer D'Alane (people from WA) are about 90% of our cases.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #15

No matter how many people live in your state, if covid19 is not controlled and put to its death soon the ramifications will last months and months. Please folks, take this pandemic serious!! If it spirals out of control our lives will never be the same! We live in smaller province in Saskatchewan, Canada and our govt has put a quarantine of 14 days on all international travellers, shut down many businesses and we are told to stay home and self quarantine. The sooner it's under control, the sooner life gets back to normal.

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholmes View Post
No matter how many people live in your state, if covid19 is not controlled and put to its death soon the ramifications will last months and months. Please folks, take this pandemic serious!! If it spirals out of control our lives will never be the same! We live in smaller province in Saskatchewan, Canada and our govt has put a quarantine of 14 days on all international travellers, shut down many businesses and we are told to stay home and self quarantine. The sooner it's under control, the sooner life gets back to normal.
It is with us forever. Its spread ultimately will be controlled due to immunity by those who have had it and, hopefully by next cycle, a vaccine. There is no way to kill it. That is why we all need to keep up vaccinations.

The purpose of distancing is to slow the spread so people and hospitals can handle the load from this first cycle. Spread is a function of population density. Our areas with low population density and mostly single family dwellings do not have near the problem of places like New York or China, and maybe parts of Italy, where most people live in multi family dwellings and use elevators and public transport. It is silly to provide the same rules for these vastly different situations.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #17

Colorado went on 'Stay-at-home' at 6:00 AM today 3/26.

AG workers are included in the essential list.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
It is with us forever. Its spread ultimately will be controlled due to immunity by those who have had it and, hopefully by next cycle, a vaccine. There is no way to kill it. That is why we all need to keep up vaccinations.

The purpose of distancing is to slow the spread so people and hospitals can handle the load from this first cycle. Spread is a function of population density. Our areas with low population density and mostly single family dwellings do not have near the problem of places like New York or China, and maybe parts of Italy, where most people live in multi family dwellings and use elevators and public transport. It is silly to provide the same rules for these vastly different situations.
So far there's reason to think it will die out from a seasonal change. It's here until a vaccine is here.
Look at the total of infected cases per tests. In my state we've tested 7,269 and have 316 confirmed positive.
That shows that very few are becoming immune and that social distancing is all that works for now. Until we get random quick testing we'll never really have any control.
The problem is that unlike the flu that dies out in summer, the C-19 has not shown that yet. It's going to keep infecting until there's a vaccine.
I agree that some parts of the country are far less susceptible than others.
I'm for a state by state border shut down except for necessary items trucked or flown in. That would allow each state to maintain it's containment and allow some to open up sooner.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #19

Good Source for Covid Stats

This site is a credible good source for world stats on Covid. Once the site comes up, click "view the world" and it will show you what is happening by country, particularly if you check it daily.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
So far there's reason to think it will die out from a seasonal change. It's here until a vaccine is here.
Look at the total of infected cases per tests. In my state we've tested 7,269 and have 316 confirmed positive.
That shows that very few are becoming immune and that social distancing is all that works for now. Until we get random quick testing we'll never really have any control.
The problem is that unlike the flu that dies out in summer, the C-19 has not shown that yet. It's going to keep infecting until there's a vaccine.
I agree that some parts of the country are far less susceptible than others.
I'm for a state by state border shut down except for necessary items trucked or flown in. That would allow each state to maintain it's containment and allow some to open up sooner.
It's mid 80s in New Orleans and the rates are rising worse than anywhere so warmer temps likely won't help that much. I am thinking that's what you meant.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote