Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #41
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
I am a nurse on a critical care step down unit. For the past month, all of our patients have had Covid-19 or were waiting for test results. So far none of the staff have gotten it but there is no way to know for sure because we can't get tested due to a lack of nasal swabs and test kits. I am sure I will get it at some point. We do what we can to protect ourselves and the patients. Working in the hospital we are in a sea of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Do what you can to keep your body and immune system as strong as possible. Eat right, get plenty of sleep, drink in moderation (alcohol kills germs but too much kills you).
Maybe in my mind, outside looking in, I’m picturing this thing worse than it might be, but would it even be useful to test medical staff who are in a constant exposure environment? I mean you could test negative and then be infected 5 minutes after the test right?
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Maybe in my mind, outside looking in, I’m picturing this thing worse than it might be, but would it even be useful to test medical staff who are in a constant exposure environment? I mean you could test negative and then be infected 5 minutes after the test right?
Testing of medical staff should be routine. More to make sure that one who tests positive is "pulled off the line" so they can't pass it on to patients.

Yes, they could be infected right after a negative test but it would defy logic to allow one who tested positive to continue treating or caring for patients.

Testing at regular intervals would also allow for better tracking how many patients might have been exposed by a single staff member. Clean on Monday morning, positive on Friday, only patients exposed would be those treated by that person within the incubation period.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #43
Maintenance Engineer

I suppose that would make some sense, by my thinking you aren’t saving anyone from exposure that week if you tested once per week (just an arbitrary test frequency I made up), by your thinking you would be saving a lot more people from exposure the next 2-3 weeks. Not testing them at all and you’re almost guaranteeing everyone is getting exposed and you just have a good luck charm to use for hope you aren’t doing that.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #44

Got one son that works for BNSF rail crew and another son who's firefighter/paramedic. I'm also essential as our division of the corp I work for supports and builds equipment for labs doing work on the covid virus.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Testing of medical staff should be routine. More to make sure that one who tests positive is "pulled off the line" so they can't pass it on to patients.

Yes, they could be infected right after a negative test but it would defy logic to allow one who tested positive to continue treating or caring for patients.

Testing at regular intervals would also allow for better tracking how many patients might have been exposed by a single staff member. Clean on Monday morning, positive on Friday, only patients exposed would be those treated by that person within the incubation period.
One problem....you have to have a 100% accurate test. They don't exist...flu, TB, whatever....they all have a percentage of "False Positive / False Negative." My mother never had or was ever exposed to TB, but something in her blood...it was never determined what...she always tested positive.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #46

Thanks for fighting the virus war. We seem to be leveling out, another 2-3 weeks we will be passed the worst of it. Some around here that have to mix with folks as you do, are carrying a bucket (with lid) of soapy water in the truck to wash off frequently.

Good luck.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #47

Hat's Off,Nomad! You Sir,are on the beam! I wrote myself off at the beginning of this Mystical Trainwreck. No,I'm not a Fatalist,nor Suicidal! It's how I Operarate. My mind needs to be completely focused on keeping my People,my Crews,as free from harm as possible. If you're sweating your own Death,you're chewing up Brain and Focus Capacity. It's that simple. And,it sure as Hell doesn't mean that I won't do the correct practices to hold this Trash at Bay! I'd Love to be Quietly Non Essential! I'd Love to be able to Camp again! Retirement and Camping! Take Care,Gang!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
One problem....you have to have a 100% accurate test. They don't exist...flu, TB, whatever....they all have a percentage of "False Positive / False Negative." My mother never had or was ever exposed to TB, but something in her blood...it was never determined what...she always tested positive.
Even if the test is less than perfect it will still help reduce the number of people who ARE positive and are very likely infecting others.

Yes. perfect would be ideal but even if only 80-90% accurate it's better than letting 100% of those infected continue to expose others.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #49

Think positive people! We're taking precautions, curbside pickup of groceries and staying away from folks. Gonna leave the Freedom Express parked for a while!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I refuse to take part in this and wont let it drive me insane
I treat this as I have every year with a bad flu season
I wash my hands all the time and carry sanitizer and use it when I use the fuel pumps and any atm machines and also on my atm card
its been years that I have touch a bathroom door among other things

X2
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat