RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Are You Planning on Catching COVID-19?

I am. I don’t know how I could expect not to. If I don’t, it will be a true miracle.

Being a plumber, I am an “Essential Worker”, and I have customers who need me and my services. I feel I have a duty to take care of my customers who have supported me and my business over the past few decades, so I do this at the risk of getting sick. I do everything possible to protect myself and my customers, but there is no way for me to avoid the inevitable unsanitary situations and frequent close contact with people who may be contagious.

I live and work in an area (DC Metro area) that has a large number of confirmed cases and it seems that about only about half of the people I encounter during a normal work day are taking this thing seriously. So many customers expect me to dress like a virus lab technician and smell like rubbing alcohol, and this is pretty much what they are getting from me, but there they are, in their homes with no masks, filth everywhere and looking over my shoulder as they speak and breath all over me. So often it seems like a one-way deal. I am polite and request some distance, and some people respect that, but most just don’t seem to care.

I have spent a small fortune on PPE and many different forms of sanitizing products to keep myself, my tools and my customers as protected as I can, but I just don’t think all of these efforts are going to keep me from eventually getting sick.

When I get home, my clothes come off outside and go into a new trash bag and directly into the washing machine. My wife takes the bag outside and puts it into the trash while I run to the shower and scrub...and scrub.

I have volunteered my services to those in my community who cannot pay now, or ever, especially for the elderly and handicapped because I figure that while I’m out there on the road and exposed anyways, I can help these people who would, otherwise, be living in unsanitary conditions or, in the case of the elderly and handicapped, be compromised by having to go up or down stairs because of something as simple as a clogged toilet or a backed-up sink. These are my favorite customers, though, because they really seem to care for my wellbeing as much as they do theirs.

I keep a detailed log of where I have been and how long I was there — I bring any food and drink I may need during the day so I don’t have to run into any stores and possibly give somebody something I don’t know I have. Nobody other than me, my wife and son are allowed into my home or office as I feel both of these places are veritable Petri dishes for this virus.

I am planning on catching this virus, but I am doing everything I can not to, other than not working. While I do have resources to carry me through a long period of not working, I am still saving up money for when that time comes.

Who else here is expecting to get sick? I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #2

I plan on it.

Thanks for the work in your community...you're a saint sir.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

I have a pass that reads "Critical Infrastructure Sector, Essential Worker" from my employer in my truck. Still, I'm not exposed like you are and I DO NOT expect to get sick.

It sounds like you've thought this through and are doing things right. I just want to give you a big thumbs up.

You're another everyday hero, good on you!
2019 Ford F250 Crew Cab - 2019 Greywolf 26DBH
(Soon to be sold!)I love this camper
New 5er soon!
Robbie D. Camper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

God bless you
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am. I donít know how I could expect not to. If I donít, it will be a true miracle.

Being a plumber, I am an ďEssential WorkerĒ, and I have customers who need me and my services. I feel I have a duty to take care of my customers who have supported me and my business over the past few decades, so I do this at the risk of getting sick. I do everything possible to protect myself and my customers, but there is no way for me to avoid the inevitable unsanitary situations and frequent close contact with people who may be contagious.

I live and work in an area (DC Metro area) that has a large number of confirmed cases and it seems that about only about half of the people I encounter during a normal work day are taking this thing seriously. So many customers expect me to dress like a virus lab technician and smell like rubbing alcohol, and this is pretty much what they are getting from me, but there they are, in their homes with no masks, filth everywhere and looking over my shoulder as they speak and breath all over me. So often it seems like a one-way deal. I am polite and request some distance, and some people respect that, but most just donít seem to care.

I have spent a small fortune on PPE and many different forms of sanitizing products to keep myself, my tools and my customers as protected as I can, but I just donít think all of these efforts are going to keep me from eventually getting sick.

When I get home, my clothes come off outside and go into a new trash bag and directly into the washing machine. My wife takes the bag outside and puts it into the trash while I run to the shower and scrub...and scrub.

I have volunteered my services to those in my community who cannot pay now, or ever, especially for the elderly and handicapped because I figure that while Iím out there on the road and exposed anyways, I can help these people who would, otherwise, be living in unsanitary conditions or, in the case of the elderly and handicapped, be compromised by having to go up or down stairs because of something as simple as a clogged toilet or a backed-up sink. These are my favorite customers, though, because they really seem to care for my wellbeing as much as they do theirs.

I keep a detailed log of where I have been and how long I was there ó I bring any food and drink I may need during the day so I donít have to run into any stores and possibly give somebody something I donít know I have. Nobody other than me, my wife and son are allowed into my home or office as I feel both of these places are veritable Petri dishes for this virus.

I am planning on catching this virus, but I am doing everything I can not to, other than not working. While I do have resources to carry me through a long period of not working, I am still saving up money for when that time comes.

Who else here is expecting to get sick? Iím sure Iím not the only one.

Bruce
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

I pray daily I do not get sick. I am retired and I do all the weekly misc shopping. (Milk, eggs, etc.)

I appreciate the hard work of all the “Essential Worker” like yourself. I just had a carpenter repair some wind damage today.

Without the “Essential Worker” our nation would not be able to survive.

Thank you for your hard work. I will be praying for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am. I don’t know how I could expect not to. If I don’t, it will be a true miracle.

Being a plumber, I am an “Essential Worker”, and I have customers who need me and my services. I feel I have a duty to take care of my customers who have supported me and my business over the past few decades, so I do this at the risk of getting sick. I do everything possible to protect myself and my customers, but there is no way for me to avoid the inevitable unsanitary situations and frequent close contact with people who may be contagious.

I live and work in an area (DC Metro area) that has a large number of confirmed cases and it seems that about only about half of the people I encounter during a normal work day are taking this thing seriously. So many customers expect me to dress like a virus lab technician and smell like rubbing alcohol, and this is pretty much what they are getting from me, but there they are, in their homes with no masks, filth everywhere and looking over my shoulder as they speak and breath all over me. So often it seems like a one-way deal. I am polite and request some distance, and some people respect that, but most just don’t seem to care.

I have spent a small fortune on PPE and many different forms of sanitizing products to keep myself, my tools and my customers as protected as I can, but I just don’t think all of these efforts are going to keep me from eventually getting sick.

I have volunteered my services to those in my community who cannot pay now, or ever, especially for the elderly and handicapped because I figure that while I’m out there on the road and exposed anyways, I can help these people who would, otherwise, be living in unsanitary conditions or, in the case of the elderly and handicapped, be compromised by having to go up or down stairs because of something as simple as a clogged toilet or a backed-up sink. These are my favorite customers, though, because they really seem to care for my wellbeing as much as they do theirs.

I keep a detailed log of where I have been and how long I was there — I bring any food and drink I may need during the day so I don’t have to run into any stores and possibly give somebody something I don’t know I have. Nobody other than me, my wife and son are allowed into my home or office as I feel both of these places are veritable Petri dishes for this virus.

Who else here is expecting to get sick? I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Bruce
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Scoundrel

Wife and I are living in FL to provide help to elderly relatives in need of assistance. One has alzheimers, the other lung cancer. I go over to check on them often and I do not expect this to end well.

If I get sick I'll be moving into the camper to protect my wife and trust professionals to care for the relatives. Planning for the worst, hoping for the best.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

Thank you for your hard work and I pray you do not get sick. This is an airborn virus and you are taking the proper steps to protect you and your family.

We're staying at home at the moment, but it is possible in the future that the virus will hit our household. Hopefully, by the time that happens, they'll have a treatment to lessen the symptoms.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #8

Thank you for what you do. This is what is needed.

I have COPD and am survivor of Widowmaker heart attack. If I get it, I'm toast. So I do not PLAN on getting it, no. Hunkered down, but about to change my view of all this. Turns out, EVERY worker is an essential worker!!! Too much unknown. Sweden doesn't lock down at all and they have a total of 90 deaths last I checked. But it runs rampant in NYC. Meanwhile, despair and loss of hope is going to kill a lot also, due to lack of work.

I expect that in 2 months, we're all going to stop, think on all this, and say " My gracious sakes, what just happened?"........ I hope I'm still around.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

I do not plan on getting the virus.
I'm doing everything I know how to not get it.

So why are some of you planning on getting it?
You live in a big city and walk around other people a lot?

Be more optimistic and try not to get it instead of thinking you will eventually.
I still have my RV plans set for end of June and early July with reservations at my campgrounds.

I feel optimistic that we will be on the down hill swing by then.
Life goes on.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Me? I'm a realist...unless a vaccine is found we are going to have to carry on as human beings. The days of containing this virus is over and were not taking action to contain...just slow it down.

The best and brightest are saying that between 60 and 80% of the world population will eventually get it.

Spain is speculating that 80% of Madrid will have had this before its over.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #11

No.
I get my groceries delivered.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Me? I'm a realist...unless a vaccine is found we are going to have to carry on as human beings. The days of containing this virus is over and were not taking action to contain...just slow it down.

The best and brightest are saying that between 60 and 80% of the world population will eventually get it.

Spain is speculating that 80% of Madrid will have had this before its over.
I'm an optimist and do everything in my power to stay safe.
You plan on walking around the Mall of America or something?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm an optimist and do everything in my power to stay safe.
You plan on walking around the Mall of America or something?
Good for you sir and I wish you well.

As a realist I'm doing everything in my power to stay safe and keep others safe. I've been studying (and prepared for) this since the 90's.

I've never been to the mall of America...
Old 04-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #14

We expect the the worst hope for the best............................

DW is an RN , and works at a plant and a group home, and I work in safety compliance for the state, (so we go to work and are around people, not able to stay at home) we have to grocery shop as there is no food delivery in this area, so we have we have better than average chance of being exposed.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #15

At my job, all those who could were sent to work from home. 2/3 of us can't work from home for various reasons. Those of us who can't work from home had to change hours, work days, and whatever it took to keep to just one person per work area at any given time. No more sitting together and collaborating - which has hit productivity hard. I'm now working Fri-Mon on a 4 x 10 schedule - it's lonely at work. Work spaces are wiped down twice a day, and deep cleaned whenever somebody comes down with COVID-19 (or the flu or a cold). Temp monitoring at the entrances begins next week, with those having a fever not being allowed in (badges get deactivated until 14 day quarantine is completed).

Knowledgeable back up folks (generally folks with young kids) are being paid to stay at home to take over in case teams get infected at work.

The result of all this is that many older folks with compromised immune systems (or spouses have compromised immune systems) are the ones still working at the site, and not from home. Although we are doing our best, it seems inevitable many of us will eventually get the virus.

On a positive note, I'm very suspicious that many of us have already been exposed, and have built up antibodies already. Might be wishful thinking, but I think back to my childhood days when suburban moms actually forced their children to be exposed to chicken pox, measles, and mumps because it was in the long term best interest to have the exposure as a child, and not as an adult. Either that, or this corona virus is not nearly as contagious as the doom and gloomers are claiming.

In the meantime, as my former military buddies say, "embrace the suck".

From watching the figures and trends, middle America - except for the large cities - can probably start opening back up in May. We have reservations for June, and I going to make some for late May, now that my confidence is growing.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #16

Dying WITH C-19 is not same as dying FROM C-19.

I think he didn't mean that he PLANS on getting it, but PREDICTS he'll get it.

Why this is affecting folks so differently is what makes me scratch my head. Even different in various countries. May be years before we know how this works. But we don't have years, do we?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #17

Quote:
I do not plan on getting the virus. I'm doing everything I know how to not get it.

As BigH said, the virus is out there. Until a vaccine is developed nothing being done now is doing anything except slowing it down, which is good. BUT - - - a vaccine could be many months away and inoculating everyone could be even more months away. Stay at home orders, business closings, and social distancing (in work situations, not necessarily in social situations) will have to end eventually. People can not nor will not be able to stay at home for months and months. Just not doable. Sans vaccine, with the virus free and circulating - however slowly - it is just a matter of time until most of us are exposed to it. Whether an individual actually comes down with the disease is dependent on too many variables. Not everyone exposed to the flu or chicken pox gets sick. Who knows why.

Once society re-opens, without a vaccine, you won't need to go around hugging strangers or licking doorknobs to risk exposure. Just normal, everyday activity will be enough. Of course, if you live in the middle of a desert, never leave home, or have contact with anyone until a vaccine is found, you are probably safe.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Why this is affecting folks so differently is what makes me scratch my head. Even different in various countries. May be years before we know how this works. But we don't have years, do we?
Some demographics can be more immune than others.
Other countries are reporting cause of death in a different manner.
Some countries are probably lying their butts off.

If China really only had 3,300 deaths why did they put cities on lock down for 4 months? We allowed 12,000 Americans to die from H1N1 in '08 and '09 by taking no action. Do we really think China shut down big cities for 3,300 people? Other countries have political reasons for not labeling the cause of death as Covid19 when they can blame a preexisting (and live able) condition.

If a few countries were doing something different and getting results others would be following.

...its possible how you are exposed is a huge factor. Being in a subway car and inhaling a large dose is probably a very bad thing and leads to a higher fatality rate. Whereas getting some on your finger and rubbing your eye gives the body more time to get an immune response going.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #19

I expect to get it as the health community predict 80% of the population will contract the virus without an effective vaccine. I don't plan on quarantining for the next 16 months if that is how long a vaccine will take to be available. I am very concerned that once this initial lockdown is relaxed there will be a second spike in cases and with summer vacations coinciding with the relaxation of the lockdowns, it seems inevitable that the virus will spread.

The biggest question once the virus spreads is how do you know if you have been infected if over half of the population has very minor or no symptoms. If you are at high risk, and are concerned about catching the virus, I feel you should continue your isolation. Myself, I am going to take reasonable precautions but will continue to live my life not just exist locked up in my house.

BandJCarm congrats on surviving your widowmaker, I had the 5 year anniversary my widowmaker last Saturday. Kind of makes you appreciate living life to the fullest after you come that close.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #20

I am a Plumber like you living in northern NJ. just beating non hodgkins lymphoma this past winter. health is good. Office limits jobs and info if people are sick. Good luck an d stay healthy
brobinson0857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat