Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

Arizona State Park Restrictions

We are currently traveling from California east towards Tennessee for a wedding. We attempted to make a reservation at Fool Hollow Lake and were told they don’t take same day requests or drive ups. They would take one for the next night which we did. We tried to extend it for one more night and were denied, told it was a new reservation and Covid rules applied. Remember, we’re already in the park! What kind of morons are making these decisions?
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

I don't think this an Arizona state park issue, so your title is misleading. I think this was either whoever you were talking to, or this particular parks interpretation of guidelines. Or perhaps you irritated them?
We have been in AZ parks (state and private) several times since March and haven't seen or heard anything like you are describing. But of course we didn't stay in this particular park either.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #3

interested in this as we're heading to AZ end of the month
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

According to their website :"No same-day reservations or extensions to existing reservations will be allowed." You can find it on their webpage. https://azstateparks.com/coronavirus
And specifically for rvers Campgrounds and Cabins
Campgrounds and cabins are open. Rangers will make contact outside when you arrive. We are following Arizona Department of Health and CDC guidelines for all cleaning procedures at campsites, cabins, restrooms and public spaces. RV campers may be asked to use RV facilities. Reservations may not be extended or made on the same day as the stay.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #5

Yep, it’s right on their website. Just makes zero sense to me especially if your already in the park!!
We’re going through New Mexico next and they don’t allow any out of state visitors in the state parks. Just hoping that common sense might be making a comeback but I guess not,
Old 10-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Yep, you are correct, it is right on every online reservation site for AZ state parks.
A few weeks ago we called a specific state park local number near Tombstone (don't want to say which one now that I saw the rule) and got a site on the same day. We were just passing through and decided to stop on a whim. Did the rule change recently, or some parks ignore it, don't know. Just my experience.
I am actually enjoying the 'no out off state' rule for NM state parks. We locals can actually get a spot and enjoy them now
Old 10-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #7

Fool Hollow Lake is always full. I have learned to book 4 to 6 months in advance to get a spot.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #8

Washington Sate Parks have the same stupid rule on Reservations.. Meanwhile several campsites stay empty becuz of this..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Fla5er

We're planning on a trip out west for '21 starting in late April and we'll be traveling through NM and AZ. Since we're coming from Florida, it's very hard to deal with these types of restrictions.

We had to cancel our trip out west this year due to the COVID issues and due to the various states closing campgrounds. We don't travel to the west coast often. This would be the second time since 2016 that we're going as we're planning on going to Ca., Ore, (if there's anything left after the fires) Id and Montana. We traveled through Utah and visited the 5 National Parks in '16. This may be our last trip out that way. We talked to a NM Highway Patrol dispatcher, as we were concerned about being stopped and told to leave. They said that as long as we're traveling or getting fuel we're ok, but didn't address the issue of finding an overnight stop to rest, such as a state park.

According to Google Maps, the distance from Glenrio (NM/TX line) to Lupton AZ on I-40 is 375 miles across the state. Then from Lupton to Catfish Paradise AZ (near CA. state line) is an additional 360 miles, for a total of 735 miles to cover just to not break the rules. It is ridiculous to expect out of state rv'ers to travel that kind of distance with out having to stop, other than for fuel. We hope that they will relax their rules. We enjoy staying at state parks and would love to visit some while on our way west.
In Florida and we're open for business in our state parks and welcome out of state rv'ers. However, at the risk of being slightly hypocritical we agree with NMWildcat about our campgrounds being crowded. In Florida you really need to plan a year out to get a reservation at a state park. Otherwise you're outta' luck.
We can only hope that the rules will be relaxed before we go, otherwise we'll have to cancel again.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
We're planning on a trip out west for '21 starting in late April and we'll be traveling through NM and AZ. Since we're coming from Florida, it's very hard to deal with these types of restrictions.

We had to cancel our trip out west this year due to the COVID issues and due to the various states closing campgrounds. We don't travel to the west coast often. This would be the second time since 2016 that we're going as we're planning on going to Ca., Ore, (if there's anything left after the fires) Id and Montana. We traveled through Utah and visited the 5 National Parks in '16. This may be our last trip out that way. We talked to a NM Highway Patrol dispatcher, as we were concerned about being stopped and told to leave. They said that as long as we're traveling or getting fuel we're ok, but didn't address the issue of finding an overnight stop to rest, such as a state park.

According to Google Maps, the distance from Glenrio (NM/TX line) to Lupton AZ on I-40 is 375 miles across the state. Then from Lupton to Catfish Paradise AZ (near CA. state line) is an additional 360 miles, for a total of 735 miles to cover just to not break the rules. It is ridiculous to expect out of state rv'ers to travel that kind of distance with out having to stop, other than for fuel. We hope that they will relax their rules. We enjoy staying at state parks and would love to visit some while on our way west.
In Florida and we're open for business in our state parks and welcome out of state rv'ers. However, at the risk of being slightly hypocritical we agree with NMWildcat about our campgrounds being crowded. In Florida you really need to plan a year out to get a reservation at a state park. Otherwise you're outta' luck.
We can only hope that the rules will be relaxed before we go, otherwise we'll have to cancel again.
The restrictions only apply to state parks. Private RV parks are abundant, open, and full of out of staters. There is no monitoring or enforcement of quarantine rules. We have traveled in TX and AZ (extensively) from NM during Covid with no problems or hassles.
Don't think you will have any problems going wherever you want and staying as long as you want, as long as you don't count on state parks.
Currently all the snowbirds are flocking in for the season from all over the country.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #11

lots of RV parks in AZ, why not spend a night or two in one of those, one about 1/2 hour from me that is probably damn near empty.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #12

Being a resident of Arizona, I know Fools Hollow Lake quite well. This particular campground is generally booked full months in advance, so maybe they did not have a space for you the second night. I get up at midnight six months ahead to try to make reservations there. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not able to get a site. We have had very good luck camping in New Mexico this summer, have not had any issues there
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #13

When you get to Arkansas you are FREE of rules. All parks are open and are busy with no restrictions, except please remember to maintain your distance and wear a mask to protect us old people! Remember that famous old saying, "please Mr Custer I don't wont to go"
Old 10-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep, you are correct, it is right on every online reservation site for AZ state parks.
A few weeks ago we called a specific state park local number near Tombstone (don't want to say which one now that I saw the rule) and got a site on the same day. We were just passing through and decided to stop on a whim. Did the rule change recently, or some parks ignore it, don't know. Just my experience.
I am actually enjoying the 'no out off state' rule for NM state parks. We locals can actually get a spot and enjoy them now
We're experiencing somewhat the same here with the border to Canada closed.

Two problems though. With no visitors from the North that means no money from the North being spent in our state. Some estimates show that number around $1 Billion per year. Second part is that with the border closed, those who would normally go to Canada from our state end up filling up our State Parks.

Another thing I've noticed, with the unemployment being high, along with the enhanced Unemployment Compensation (the extra $600 per week on top of regular state benefits), more and more people are using their spare time to go camping.

In my neighborhood alone there are at least 5 brand new TT's in the last 90 days alone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #15

Many, many miles of open forest service land for camping within an hour of that park. Lots of private RV parks too if you need hookups. State parks can often be a pain.
Big lake is farther east but VERY nice, lots of first-come sites, one of the campgrounds has full hookups. Great place if you like to fish. Springerville has Casa Malpais, decent enough private campground. Plenty of others there too. Word of caution though, if you're coming down out of Show Low into Payson, especially on a weekend, add an extra hour or two for the traffic pileup going down 260...

Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #16

fools holllow is quite popular and is often booked pretty solid, though probably not all sites are booked each night. the issue may have been that you got an open site for one night and then you asked to extend for another night. the site you were in may have had a reservation in place for the night you wanted to extend. did you ask to relocate to another site for your second night. there may have been another site that was open that night. i don't know, this is just a guess.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #17

This is a VERY smart virus. It knows if you are seated or standing while eating or drinking, it can tell time and plans it's attacks for after 10pm, and now it can tell when you made a reservation.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #18

I can assure you that it had nothing to do with overbooking. When you call the designated phone number the person just repeats the party line, extensions are considered a new reservation and are not allowed. No explanation or justification.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #19

As others have mentioned this is not a Arizona State Park restriction. Parks here in the state start filling up quickly during the cool season here in Arizona. Fools Hollows is very popular as mentioned. So many other options are available. New Mexico has very many excellent options as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #20

Titan Mike, who is getting the "enhanced unemployment"? The last I looked that ended the end of July.
PennyPA is offline   Reply With Quote