Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Buying tags in Texas

Anybody in Texas know if trailers can be tagged yet, Texas motor vehicles was closed until this week, now taking appointments only for new driver’s license , not expired ones, suppose to have a 60 day grace period I think, I have to get my trailer inspected but wasn’t going to mess with it if I still can’t buy tags, using it in 3 weeks
Qicvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #2

Do you have the registration renewal? That should tell you if you need the trailer inspected or not. Our tt (which we've since sold) did not need to be inspected.

If you don't have it the renewal go to the dmv site and you should be able to renew online with the license plate numbers. https://www.txdmv.gov/ They will tell you if it needs to be inspected to renew the tag.

They do charge a slight fee to do that and they mail you the tags. In the meantime, they email you proof of renewal.

edit: also... THE TEMPORARY WAIVER OF VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Do you have the registration renewal? That should tell you if you need the trailer inspected or not. Our tt (which we've since sold) did not need to be inspected.

If you don't have it the renewal go to the dmv site and you should be able to renew online with the license plate numbers. https://www.txdmv.gov/ They will tell you if it needs to be inspected to renew the tag.

They do charge a slight fee to do that and they mail you the tags. In the meantime, they email you proof of renewal.

edit: also... THE TEMPORARY WAIVER OF VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

What he said. ^^^^^

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #4

Thanks, the waiver was what I was wondering about, it’s a lot of trouble to hookup and get it out of storage to get it inspected if I can’t get tags for it before I use it
Qicvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #5

It took less than 2 weeks to get the tag for my truck.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 05-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Plus you print out the letter when they except your applications and it allows you to drive or in your case pull the rig until they come in the mail. The inspection is done in a computer plus your hard copy that the inspection location gives you.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf

Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qicvick View Post
Thanks, the waiver was what I was wondering about, it’s a lot of trouble to hookup and get it out of storage to get it inspected if I can’t get tags for it before I use it
First, you need to see if you need to get it inspected.
Then, if you renew online, you'll get a receipt emailed to you that you can use as proof of registration.
Of course, with the waiver you don't need any of that information.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Anybody in Texas know if trailers can be tagged yet, Texas motor vehicles was closed until this week, now taking appointments only for new driver’s license , not expired ones, suppose to have a 60 day grace period I think, I have to get my trailer inspected but wasn’t going to mess with it if I still can’t buy tags, using it in 3 weeks
We buy our tags at our local Tom Thumb here in Allen,TX.
You can also purchase from Kroger locations as well.

https://tinyurl.com/ybwj3gkr

Here is a link for the available locations to purchase tags here in Collin County, Texas.
So do a search for your county as your posting doesn't say where your located at.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
2006 Tundra Surveyor 241

Ok just for information. I work for TXDOT and alot of people don't know that the drivers driver's license office doesn't do license plate tags as they are TXDPS offices. The next misconception is that TXDMV is where you get the license plates and tags from but no. You have to go to the county tax assessor collector to get your license plates and tags. The rule on inspections is 7500 lbs or more has to be inspected. Now the bad part about that is the manufacturer sets the bar on the trailer. They add the axel rating ( mine is 3500 per axel) and the tongue weight ( mine is 540 lbs). I took my truck and trailer to the CAT scales and the trailer fully loaded is only 5900 lbs including the tongue weight but because of the manufacturer tag I have to get it inspected. So check with the county tax office and see if they are open to get your tags. Right now they will not stop or ticket you for expired tags or drivers license but soon the govenor will lift the order. Some county tax offices will renew tags right now online even if they are expired but the only way to know is to check their website. Hope this helps.
rwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
I did mine by mail. Came back quick. Throw in a copy of your vehicle insurance card. They sent it back with the tags.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #11

Inspection

Trailers over 6K lb. you have to have them inspected 1 st. Then you can do the tag renewal on-line. The state has a list of trailer inspection sites under tags @ TXgov.org. Call before you take your trailer to the listed business, list is not accurate. I had to call 3 or 4 before I found a shop that could do it. Many do not have the space to turn around in and do not do the trailers. Really a waste, $7.50 to check chains and insure turn and brake lights work. Also, the tag offices are open as of last week, but expect a wait. Making appointments for driver license renewals-Tarrant County.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #12
2006 Tundra Surveyor 241

GVW is 7500lbs not 6000. I just verified this with TXDMV employee as they are in our TXDOT buildings here at the Austin headquarters
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #13
2006 Tundra Surveyor 241

The law was changed 1 September 2017 from 4500 lbs to 7500 lbs
Old 05-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #14

TX

The build sticker on mine says 6800 and on title. When I try to do it on line it still says it needs a inspection. I'll send them a note. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #15

Correction-Weight

State figures it on Gross Weight not Empty Weight. My Gross Weight is 7900, Empty Weight 6600. I still have to get it inspected first, AUHH!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #16
2006 Tundra Surveyor 241

Yeah my sticker says about the same but the title says 7540 lbs on mine. That is why I asked the personnel at TXDMV about how it was determined. That's when I got the explanation of the axel rating plus the tongue weight. We share buildings with them at our Camp Hubbard state headquarters here in Austin. I have only 5 more years until I can retire from the state. Can't wait to start traveling nation wide.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #17

I'm lucky, my local Kwik Car oil change is located with a residential street on one side.
35' 11" on trailer length and crew cab Ram 2500 I'm right at 57' long.
Pull along side business and the guy comes out and usually does his business quickly.
Never been asked to perform blinker or brake light test as I usually have my Flasher on since I'm parked on the side of the business,

My Biggest issue is arguing with the Inspection person that the Bumper Pull or Fifth Wheel trailer doesn't have to have its own separate Insurance Policy/Card.

In Texas, you only show Current insurance on the TV for TT inspection.
Don't let them BS You and force you to retrieve your TT policy(Most Likely At Home) which only further confuses them Because it doesn't contain an insurance card for the trailer.

Different story of course if you pull in with a motorhome. Motorhome would need to have a current insurance policy in effect in order to be inspected.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #18
Site Team

I had my truck and trailer inspected on May 20 before unhitching after a trip the day before. It’s less than 2 miles down our country road to the garage that does my inspections. Then I took my registration notices and inspection reports (May 27) to the county Tax Assessor/Collector’s office in the courthouse in Sherman, Texas and registered them both in person. The month before, I registered DW’s car at the Kroger store in Sherman.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #19

Tags in Texas

I just renewed mine this week May 27. No problem
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #20

It's good to see Sherman and Sometimes Denison finally catching up with the rest of the world.
That's also a bad thing, those areas are some of the prettiest parts of North Texas. It's already exploded with growth and noway to stop it now.
It's been hard to see all the Old tall standing trees that have come down lately to make way for progress.

Grew up on Lake Texoma and actually call it Home. Lake Lot on Oklahoma side for 35 plus years now.

Gary