Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #1

Camping is the Last Refuge.

Just returned from the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. I have been going there since 1988. Several friends contracted Covid. We are negative after 12 days and probably got lucky. It brings up the issue of attending large gatherings that are indoors.

Camping with an RV a tent or any other way, is always going to be one of the safest ways to spend free time. You get to have your own bedding and your own dishes. You can bring dogs. You can go where you please and be outside in the fresh air. More camping please. More now than ever before.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 11:03 AM   #2

I agree, ppine. We pretty much scrapped all our retirement plans of airline and ship travel, and now pretty much enjoy strictly camping and auto/motorcycle travel. No hotels. We have scrapped plans to go to the large gatherings we used to do, like motorcycle rallies. We are also a bit picky about which states we travel to as contagious disease prevention/precaution attitudes can vary. Three years in on the pandemic, my wife and I have never gotten COVID-19, no flu, and far fewer colds. We are happy, and it’s nice to be healthy.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:26 AM   #3

No question about it. We are almost always in our safe place and rarely close to other people. The days of inviting other campers in to your RV are gone. And we also have not contacted Covid.
This is interesting and something we felt was true all along: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	283925

My blood type is 0+ and there has been some discussion that due to my O+ I am less likely to get Covid. We have friends and he got Covid but she (O+) did not, even after sleeping together the entire time.

We will continue to RV as long as possible.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 11:33 AM   #4

We usually RV in a group. Mainly boondocking with the same group of about 15 RVers. Each trip usually has 2 to 8 RVs. During the height of covid, this was perfect. Same group of folks spent most of that period in a remote canyon in the Gila NF. Perfect and kept us sane.
Last year and this year, those of us that are healthy got back to the new normal. We are all caught up on boosters. We have been to all the major events we used to go to: NASCAR, bowling tournaments, concerts, sporting events, and 2 ocean cruises. This year we have three longer cruises planned and cut back a bit on long RV trips.
We did get Covid while in Las Vegas NV for bowling nationals. Was like a cold and the 8 of us that got it, tested negative in 5 days and none us ever felt real bad.
We made the decision to try and enjoy everything we can, while we can. If the situation or our health change, then we will reevaluate.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
... My blood type is 0+ and there has been some discussion that due to my O+ I am less likely to get Covid. We have friends and he got Covid but she (O+) did not.. .
I'm 0- and my wife is A-. We have had covid at least once. I tested positive one day after she did. Don't know what that means, just a fact.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:15 PM   #6

2020 we were masking up when we went to indoor places. Did a few trips with our TT and even went to a "Non-Rally" Rally and did not mask up. 2021 we did some leisure travel and RVing. Masked up in some places, but not all. 2022 was pretty much a wash for RV travels due to axle issues and family first events. We did multiple flights and 3 cross-country road trips without masking up. Even locally we stopped masking. But sometime in late October last year we caught Covid. Not sure where, but I'm thinking when we voted early. I was symptomatic 1 day before DW. I had a horrible deep cough, constant slight headache, and laryngitis. DW had a mild cough, but it was the fatigue that hit her hard. She went to urgent care and confirmed Covid, I took home test to confirm as well. Going to a convention in April, so we'll see.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
Open Space Wanted

Haven't stopped traveling for businesses and pleasure since. Kept indoors at restaurants and hotels and was great further south where masks weren't being pushed. I have been known not to enter places of business that forced masking and gave my money to those that maintained my freedom of choice.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Just returned from the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. I have been going there since 1988. Several friends contracted Covid. We are negative after 12 days and probably got lucky. It brings up the issue of attending large gatherings that are indoors.

Camping with an RV a tent or any other way, is always going to be one of the safest ways to spend free time. You get to have your own bedding and your own dishes. You can bring dogs. You can go where you please and be outside in the fresh air. More camping please. More now than ever before.
Glad to hear you are ok so far. My DW had Covid back in October but luckily not very serious symptoms. So far I have not had it. On a lighter note, the Cowboy Poetry deal has been on my bucket list for a long time. I love to listen to Waddie Mitchell and I always enjoyed Baxter Black. Stay safe and safe travels. I am a campground host and very much looking forward to returning to my duties April 1.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm 0- and my wife is A-. We have had covid at least once. I tested positive one day after she did. Don't know what that means, just a fact.
O negative, that's cool. You are a universal donor! I bet your friends keep a needle and tube around, just in case they need you. Lol

I'm an O positive, not nearly as popular.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
O negative, that's cool. You are a universal donor! I bet your friends keep a needle and tube around, just in case they need you. Lol

I'm an O positive, not nearly as popular.
Yep. I still get calls all the time from the blood bank. Have lots of 5 gallon awards when they used to do that. Finally stopped donating regularly due to scar tissue.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #11

Have not changed a thing in my life since the start of covid , only masked when forced to . came and went without issue never got covid at least that i knew about , no shots and still kicking and still doing the same as i always have without giving it a second thought . Will continue to do so even when the next [cough] epidemic comes .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep. I still get calls all the time from the blood bank. Have lots of 5 gallon awards when they used to do that. Finally stopped donating regularly due to scar tissue.
It's nice to be popular.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It's nice to be popular.
But only with vampires
Old 02-14-2023, 11:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
It's always been our favorite way to travel because of the above reasons. We love getting away from people and enjoying nature.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #15

I do not attend rallies, avoid places like Quartzite and have not even been to a music festival with an RV in many years. This is likely to continue. I have been on only a few RV trips with a group. I did not have much in common with my service club, or the social group I used to hang with. They like fancy RV parks in the wine country. They are focused on wine, going out to dinner, shopping, and playing cornhole. Way too boring.

I have some hard core outdoor friends that like the outdoors. Retired wildland firefighter, seed collector. We camp in tents mostly or sleep in the back of the trucks. Headed out at the end of Feb for one of those. Those kinds of trips are very rewarding. I don't use my RV that much.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2023, 11:05 PM   #16

Camping is a refuge from a lot of things! What we did not understand was why they shut down overnight camping at all the state parks in Oregon. Our feeling was that camping would be the safest place you could be to avoid getting COVID and were really disappointed when all of our reservations got cancelled.

The only thing different we did/do because of COVID is get the shots. I've had 5. I think wife and mother-in-law have 4. I'm retired after 29 years in the Navy so I have had just about every vaccination known to man anyway. We wore masks only when required to by executive order. We would try to avoid businesses that had their own mask requirements when the law didn't require it, but were/are not hardcore about boycotting certain businesses. We always did and still do continue to go to movies, concerts, plays, and a class reunion trip flying to Alaska. My wife tested positive for it the day after we got back from Alaska. She immediately went on Paxlovid and we think the side effects from the drug were worse than probably the COVID. I tested when my wife did and was negative (I have never tested positive). I'm just not going to let the COVID scare keep me from doing the things I have always enjoyed doing.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2023, 08:35 AM   #17

The first Winter of Covid, we camped at a small campground in FL and probably never got closer than 6 feet to other people other than our family. We got all the shots and gladly wore a mask at the supermarket, etc. Never got Covid or even a cold.

This Winter, with everyone not wearing masks and socializing like always (including us), we both got Covid at least once. This last time, I appear to have gotten long term Covid which includes way less than ideal ability to breathe. At 77 years of age, it makes me think that maybe the grim reaper is watching me.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I camped the entire time during Covid and never had a issue. I also had the shots (4) and wore mask when in grocery stores and use sanitized hand cleaner every where I went and wipe vehicles down inside after shopping. So far so good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2023, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
The first Winter of Covid, we camped at a small campground in FL and probably never got closer than 6 feet to other people other than our family. We got all the shots and gladly wore a mask at the supermarket, etc. Never got Covid or even a cold.

This Winter, with everyone not wearing masks and socializing like always (including us), we both got Covid at least once. This last time, I appear to have gotten long term Covid which includes way less than ideal ability to breathe. At 77 years of age, it makes me think that maybe the grim reaper is watching me.
Sorry about your illness. I hope you can manage it and still be active. Your post makes an obvious point that is the subject of this thread.
Paragraph 1: were careful and never got COVID or even a cold
Paragraph 2: dropped precautions and now have a long term illness.

My wife and I have never caught COVID, but long COVID is a serious concern and the reason we are mainly engaged in camping as a relatively safe recreational activity.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Camping is a refuge from a lot of things! What we did not understand was why they shut down overnight camping at all the state parks in Oregon. Our feeling was that camping would be the safest place you could be to avoid getting COVID and were really disappointed when all of our reservations got cancelled.
Same up here in WA. From what was reported it was more for the park employee's protection

I prefer boondocking over parks, both private and state/national, as no reservations are required and more space in my "site" (not to mention cost). Fortunate in how many nearby areas I can boondock and enjoy nature.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
camping