Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

Change in plans

Made reservations early march at Florida state park thru Reserve America for next February. A week passes and wife says maybe we should cancel and find a park closer to her 87 yr old mother in different part of Florida. Called RA and said i have to wait until today (18 days)to cancel. No problem. Called today but they won t waive reservation fee. Rep says that’s a year away so we can t do anything but you have to book 11 months in advanced or your out. So i lose $25 . Think that’s a lousy policy during this time. Just wanted to VENT
ronrox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

A number of state and national parks are waiving cancellation fees for those reservations that are directly affected by virus closures. Texas state parks has even extended their yearly park entrance passes by two months. But, for those future reservations, its back to regular policies. Although $25 seems pretty steep - but I suppose that's because of the popularity of the Florida parks.

I have a standing reservation in a N.P. in about three weeks. Even though we haven't been contacted about a closure/cancellation on that just yet, I'm sure its on the horizon. As a back up I snagged a three night rez. for Sept., and last week I managed to snag a better site for 5 nights in Oct. So when I cancelled the Sept. reservation, I had to give up the $10. Just the way it is.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Sometimes I wonder if they don't make more money from cancellation fees than from reservations.

I went to the Florida reservation website, and Florida is the one who puts the 18 day hold on changing reservations. https://www.floridastateparks.org/re...on-information

Glad you were able to change parks. Looks like they fill up quickly.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

You are correct on every point.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #5

Unfortunately I believe the fees are kept by the companies that handle the reservations, and not the parks themselves...
Old 04-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

That’s my point ! I have made a lot of reservations with them in the last 4 years w NO cancellations. Taking into account of this horrible pandemic i find it greedy if not incredibly insensitive on their part. But i guess $$$ is more important than customer concerns . The fact that it is the ONLY way to reserve state parks in Florida maybe they feel it s their way or the highway. Time to support the little PRIVATE guys i guess