Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
It's a real crisis and delivery service is not available in rural areas. What's the point of social distancing and self isolation when people have to try 5 or more stores to find food.
I grew up in a rural area and "social distancing" was pretty much a way of life. Nearest neighbors were 1/4 mile away and our local grocery store usually had only a few people at a time in it. Didn't see what you needed, owner would order it for you and call when it was available.

Oh, the good old days.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
It's a real crisis and delivery service is not available in rural areas. What's the point of social distancing and self isolation when people have to try 5 or more stores to find food.
The real crisis is that American business people have made us dependent on other countries whom we also consider our enemies in military planning. Just take a walk around your house and note the country of origin on appliances, electronics, food supplies and even transportation components. Then, picture those items are not there for your use. The reality is that your house would look very empty and the imposition would be staggering.

The glaring truth is that medication and medical equipment is made abroad as is a lot of our daily needs. If we had a war rather than war of words, we would be in crisis. The corona virus has been a wake up call. Hopefully changes are made before we become complacent again.

Japan prior to the 2nd World War should have been enough warning. If you may recall, we were shipping scrap metal to Japan by the boat loads. They used it against us. Thankfully, we have since become strong allies.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #43

We have used Walmart grocery pickup for years. Now it is vital to us, but pickup schedules are about a week behind now, and in the last few weeks there has been no TP, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes. And one week they were out of Cheerios and canned beans.

That is our major concern now: the inability to get supplies to store shelves so people can buy them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Now, Im certainly not a conspiracy theorist.. actually the opposite, but a friend made a comment to me yesterday (on the phone so we maintained social distancing). He said "you can bet the government is collecting data on how our society responds to this situation"... To include how we respond to Government direction to stop movement etc... They probably are, and could be for a good purpose, or could be for less than good. I told him all they have to do is contract with Facebook to get all the data they want on how the population responds to pandemics or quarantines, or stop movements etc...
Mike
The government is ALREADY pulling location data from Google and Facebook, as are other commercial aggregators - names and other identification are supposedly removed. That's what is behind the tracing of the Florida spring break "spread" you can see on several news channels. For the present, the government and the commercial boys are avoiding using the telecoms as their source of data. You gave Facebook, Google, Gmail, Microsoft, Twitter, and others "permission" to access your location, usually in the check mark for terms of service.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Another option is Schwan’s home delivery service. They carry all kinds of frozen foods on their freezer trucks. Their routes go to many rural areas around the country. In major cities such as LA they ship your food to your home packed in dry ice. Their quality is quite good. Call in phone orders or go to Schwans.com They are taking special precautions for safety at this time.
At one time we liked Schwan's but we did not buy enough so they dropped us and not sure if they come to our area any longer..

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #46

We just went shopping at Publix on Sunday am as we always do ... taking proper care to follow guidelines .... Publix is exceptionally clean employee at door cleaning carts ... customers allowing space ... have listened to doctors and this is what many say .... Covid 19 is spread by contact to your hands and touching your face ... it may spread by air contact but not near as likely ... do not touch your face and wash your hands a lot .... the virus dies over time out of the host ... the deliveries offered are great ... be safe and wash rinse repeat ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The real crisis is that American business people have made us dependent on other countries whom we also consider our enemies in military planning. .
Good example which relates to the current crisis, my neighbor works for one the few companies in the US that manufacturers ventilators.

Just before this pandemic heated up he was notified that his job is being eliminated. Company is moving production of their equipment (not just ventilators but other medical equipment they make as well) "overseas".

Why? Cost savings of course. Apparently they're saving enough money to give him and all others very generous severance packages.

Of course prior to the current crisis there probably wasn't much call for ventilators. Another local company that manufacturers this item yesterday told news reporters that they were making around 100 per month and they now expect to increase that drastically. Even have formed an alliance with GM to produce more. Kind of like WW-II when automotive and typewriter, and sewing machine companies made weapons.

Unfortunately, without strategic planning and some government stockpiling of critical items, companies will continue to do what their shareholders demand, maximie profits which means reduce costs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
some of us do not do Facebook, for good reason. One day no one will, but that day is a long ways off it seems.
Yeah, I don't do Facebook either. Never will

Mike
Old 03-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #49

Quote:
I've used the delivery service a time or two, back before this crisis, and it worked pretty well for me. I didn't do major shopping but used it to get a few things.

I sure hope though that this is not the wave of the future. It has it's place, but not everyone wants to be held hostage to the schedule of the store. It's certainly can be a great thing during this crisis and can still be a good thing for people after this is over.

Now, Im certainly not a conspiracy theorist.. actually the opposite, but a friend made a comment to me yesterday (on the phone so we maintained social distancing). He said "you can bet the government is collecting data on how our society responds to this situation"... To include how we respond to Government direction to stop movement etc... They probably are, and could be for a good purpose, or could be for less than good. I told him all they have to do is contract with Facebook to get all the data they want on how the population responds to pandemics or quarantines, or stop movements etc...

Mike
And this is bad how?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #50

I sure don't care if Facebook, Google or anyone for that matter tracks what I do. I love directed advertising. I get to see advertising for stuff I really like.

We used grocery pickup for the first time Thursday. Was awesome. We had to order 5 days in advance but that's just because a lot of people are doing it. Just takes a little planning. My 87 year old mom is getting her groceries delivered to her door which is perfect for her right now. Less interaction with people the better. I don't think she cares that she is being tracked either.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #51
Director, FROG

One of our daughters in the St. Louis area has been using Schnuck's (one of the largest grocery chains in the area) and a Target with a grocery section for "shop & pick" service. She's been very pleased with both, particularly Target.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Now, Im certainly not a conspiracy theorist.. actually the opposite, but a friend made a comment to me yesterday (on the phone so we maintained social distancing). He said "you can bet the government is collecting data on how our society responds to this situation".I told him all they have to do is contract with Facebook to get all the data they want on how the population responds to pandemics or quarantines, or stop movements etc...
Guess what...if you use a cell phone, they can track where you go very easily. A lot easier than Facebook.

In fact, countries are already doing this to track people who got infected. They can look at where person was before they got tested. I am looking forward to it. Will help in future pandemic situations. Might be able to isolate a smaller group of people instead of the entire country. Seems to me like a good thing.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #53

Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Guess what...if you use a cell phone, they can track where you go very easily. A lot easier than Facebook.

In fact, countries are already doing this to track people who got infected. They can look at where person was before they got tested. I am looking forward to it. Will help in future pandemic situations. Might be able to isolate a smaller group of people instead of the entire country. Seems to me like a good thing.
Not sure if this would work in the US, but in Israel cellphones are practically grafted onto their owners.

If an individual there has symptoms or has been exposed, his cellphone is tracked. If he leaves his residence, every cellphone in his vicinity is alerted to warn others to keep their distance.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Not sure if this would work in the US, but in Israel cellphones are practically grafted onto their owners.

If an individual there has symptoms or has been exposed, his cellphone is tracked. If he leaves his residence, every cellphone in his vicinity is alerted to warn others to keep their distance.
I like that!
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #55

You can turn off the gps and find my phone on a iPhone but the best way is simply shut your phone off when you aren’t using it, then the phone can’t be tracked because it’s off. I can remember not to long ago that people didn’t have a phone grafted to there body. Me and wife like to shop for ourselves, wife doesn’t even use Amazon. We are always buying something for the grandkids. I can see if you want to stay inside because of the virus. Before the lockdown I could see people using the service from Walmart. People use the service to save time. The fresh strawberries are starting to come off, I see vendors are setting up stands, the best strawberries are the local strawberries.
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #56

I'm glad to see all of you using pickup and delivery services!! Makes the in-store shopping much nicer.
Liz and I are the 'scavengers' for our local extended family who are elderly or unhealthy.
Yesterday we went out with our weekly list and found shopping to be very pleasant. Very few customers in the stores, even Walmart! Everyone maintained more than 6' separation, except for pickers for online orders who seemed oblivious. So we had to dodge them continuously, and admonish a few. I did notice the pickers used no gloves, masks, or had any hand sanitizer on their carts.
We used self checkout to minimize exposure, hopefully.
Had to go to three stores to find all the requested items. Store shelves are starting to look better. We actually found bleach and TP! Felt like winning the lottery. Still no Kleenex tissues.
We tried to disinfect our haul as best we could with wipes and spray while separating into bundles for each destination. Left them on the porch and waived to family members from a distance. They know to be careful when unpacking, rewash, and wash hands.
What a different world. Until stores actually have close to full stock, online ordering will be difficult. So, unless things get much worse, we will probably stick to shopping the old fashioned way.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #57

Scott, I'm glad you get to go out and shop. That's wonderful. But the point in my perspective is, that I'm glad I have an option to at least GET groceries.

It doesn't matter how much I LIKE to visually shop and select items and look for new ones. I get how that's better. I do. But I can't (won't) do it. I'm immuno-compromised and have COPD to boot. I'll hide under the bed as long as I have to. While doing that, I'm tickled I can have stuff brought to me that I really need. It's a wonderful alternative.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Scott, I'm glad you get to go out and shop. That's wonderful. But the point in my perspective is, that I'm glad I have an option to at least GET groceries.

It doesn't matter how much I LIKE to visually shop and select items and look for new ones. I get how that's better. I do. But I can't (won't) do it. I'm immuno-compromised and have COPD to boot. I'll hide under the bed as long as I have to. While doing that, I'm tickled I can have stuff brought to me that I really need. It's a wonderful alternative.
I completely agree with you and it is a wonderful option. I didn't mean to come across as negative towards the option, or those that use it. My apologies if I did.
I was just giving my perspective from the other side. Liz and I did look into using this in our area. We tried to order online and have it delivered to her Mom. Too many items out of stock, and we knew they wouldn't take the precautions we would when handing it off. And of course, the stores that had products don't do online
So for us, right now, shopping multiple stores and delivering to folks who can't get out, works best.
Neighbors are saying we should go into business and advertise our services. Sounds too much like work to me!!
Stay safe BandJCarm, and be well.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
The grocery store we use always have employees out in the main store filling orders, if not for the uniform shirts they wear you would think they are just regular shoppers
That is how our store does it, too. They shop the aisles the same as we would, if we were there in person. We are grateful for this service .... very, very grateful. Even when they have to make a substitution, we're happy with what they put in our order. There are too many other worries to fret over our groceries, or not being able to "shop" for other things we didn't know we were looking for.

Tags
service