Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 12:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
They are from Texas. They do not get snow and ice. They are towing a trailer and under estimate the challenges.
I live in Texas near the beach. I see Nevadans on the beach all the time. They are loud, they drink a lot and get stuck on the beach in rental cars.

Oh, BTW I guess you've never been to Amarillo in January.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #22

We go to Angel Fire quite a bit. Not to ski yet, unfortunately. Anyway, NM has it’s rules but the businesses want customers so they’re not crazy with the Covid restrictions. Only place we ran into it was during year 1 of Covid. We wanted to fish on the Cimmaron River. Technically a state park and out of state people couldn’t be there because we’d give the New Mexicans Covid as we fished. Not a lot of $$ in NM from what I can see outside of ABQ, so they rely on the out of state tourists/residents in small tourist towns. If everyone’s got a mask on, we throw one on. If someone asks I would as well. Nothing about vaccines though.

I’m from Texas and lived in Colorado for a few years in the 90’s. I think the opinions against Texans by those living in the mountains is pretty dated at this point. Back then, people up there used to accuse them(us) of all sorts of socially unacceptable things in ski country. These days I don’t hear it, maybe we Texans have matured or the mountain folks are too stoned to care. Who knows.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
We go to Angel Fire quite a bit. Not to ski yet, unfortunately. Anyway, NM has it’s rules but the businesses want customers so they’re not crazy with the Covid restrictions. Only place we ran into it was during year 1 of Covid. We wanted to fish on the Cimmaron River. Technically a state park and out of state people couldn’t be there because we’d give the New Mexicans Covid as we fished. Not a lot of $$ in NM from what I can see outside of ABQ, so they rely on the out of state tourists/residents in small tourist towns. If everyone’s got a mask on, we throw one on. If someone asks I would as well. Nothing about vaccines though.

I’m from Texas and lived in Colorado for a few years in the 90’s. I think the opinions against Texans by those living in the mountains is pretty dated at this point. Back then, people up there used to accuse them(us) of all sorts of socially unacceptable things in ski country. These days I don’t hear it, maybe we Texans have matured or the mountain folks are too stoned to care. Who knows.
In the 90's you had real mountain folk still left from the old days , now it's just Californians and Texans so they alll fit in
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
In the 90's you had real mountain folk still left from the old days , now it's just Californians and Texans so they alll fit in
1890s right?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
1890s right?
Feels like it .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #26

When I first drove there in the 90s I saw Adobe Mud Brick houses and barnes

So the very first time I went there was in early 90's and drove a car with some friends to Angelfire and we didn't know anything about using highways instead of local roads because we thought it was all the same so we took the most direct route. That takes you through a town called Mora in New Mexico and it got down to 1 lane roads and 1 lane wooden bridges going over waterfalls and so on and it was quite scenic, very "Grizzly Adams" type country. What I remember is there is an Native Indian population there and I saw mainly hay barns made of Red Adobe bricks and mud and grass , looks like built a 100 years ago. Hey it works.

So we got 6 people, no one has any vaccinations and 2 are minors, kids , so its really out of our way at this point to attempt to play the "Covid game" so I just want to avoid any problems in general. What I specifically want to avoid is anything where we drive 2 hours, get there, and DO NOT have the right paperwork to "participate".

I really don't think I will run into that in New Mexico but we are actually cancelling another New Orleans trip for my wifes birthday specifically because they are still doing the Covid Passport thing and I told her " When we goto the French Quarter, what do we do?" and the answer is hop from bar to bar, restaurant to restaurant eating and drinking and gawking at the Rif-Raf. I asked her, even if you were vaccinated or had your "walking papers" do you really care to stand in line 10 times in one night at every bar and restaurant to show this just to get in and get sorry service. You just know, all those restaurants will have half their staff on top of that, and it will just be a big mess in general.

As far as Winter Camping goes, we are more than prepared. I got 4x4 and I just installed 5 tank heater pads onto the 3 tanks and 2 pipes on the bottom of the trailer, and its all wired in.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #27

For what it's worth to you Taos Ski Valley just got around 28" of snow, main roads are plowed, and lift lines looked steady today. They only had the 2 main lifts running which are 1&2, lift 4 was closed as they did have an inbounds avalanche just above lift 4 a couple of years ago with 2 deaths. Drive safe
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #28

Woohoo. Yeh it was looking a little thin on the snow reports last week

I got my tank heaters installed and am ready! Got the skis out and couldn't find but one glove but they are old and ratty anyways, so when I go onto Amazon for new gloves, they are about $25 but found a "heated" pair that uses batteries for $50 so gonna try those out. To get conventional with "chemical heater" combined it was about $35 so why not try the heated types at this price. Yeh glad they got some snow. We used to religiously FLY (hahahahahaha) to Salt Lake but after getting the RV , I won't fly anymore. New Mexico's only downfall is the snowfall isn't as extreme and that can be an issue some years.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote