Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #1

Driving to go skiing in New Mexico from Texas, any issues?

We will be driving with the NOBO in tow in 2 months for Spring Break into the Rockies , mainly Santa Fe and Taos Ski Valley.

Has anyone been to New Mexico lately and is their any kinds of discrimination going on about the Covid passports or negative tests for restaurants, skiing whatever? Looking to avoid those places if possible.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

The Edelweiss Ski area in Taos requires proof of vaccination at all indoor areas for 16 and over.
NM Governor has been among the first to impose mandates during spikes.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #3

Things are changing so rapidly, you probably should check the state websites closer to your trip.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #4

you are out of your mind with a trailer. freezeing , icy roads closed roads . tire chains to taos ski valley . no water frozen , view red river live cams , bob cat pass cam, a- fire cam . you could die . you might not even make it to clines corners due to closed roads. to santa fe . i am in amarillo and it sucks hrer now. cold windy .highs in the 30s/40s and no snow yet. get a rvbo. condo.etc.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:14 AM   #5

We just got back from Taos, mask required everywhere indoors. Where do you plan to stay? They just had a snowstorm over New Years so they were finally able to open more ski areas. We skied Sipapu as for the cost value Taos did not have much open. I agree and would check as your time gets close as requirements could change.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
you are out of your mind with a trailer. freezeing , icy roads closed roads . tire chains to taos ski valley . no water frozen , view red river live cams , bob cat pass cam, a- fire cam . you could die . you might not even make it to clines corners due to closed roads. to santa fe . i am in amarillo and it sucks hrer now. cold windy .highs in the 30s/40s and no snow yet. get a rvbo. condo.etc.
And a satellite could fall on your head . Might get abducted by an alien . A space tourist rocket could land on your RV . Good grief.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #7

You are going to hit snow and ice and rules about wearing masks.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
You are going to hit snow and ice and rules about wearing masks.
Good thing they are going skiing then
Old 01-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Be a shame if there was no snow. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Well I want to reply to everyone. Hey thanks everyone who replied.

So first all, I am going specifically for SNOW, as much as I can get. We don't get allot of snow in Houston, so I hope it just keeps on snowing and I will deal with it. Ideally I want a death defying blizzard one week before I come. That way they have time to clear the roads. I have a 4x4 Nissan Titan and so far, been pretty good with the NOBO, which is good for off-roading. When I had a Big Bronco and my 17 ft trailer we would stay up on the mountain in the blizzard outside of Santa Fe, the road that goes up to the Santa Fe "Ski Area", half way up is a State park and it is amazing because no one stays there hardly in the winter and you see herds of animals come through there.

What you can do and I learned this from other campers in the mountains is if it really starts coming down and they cannot keep the roads clear for very long, wait until the Snow Plow comes along, and thats about every hour, and follow it down or up depending on where you are going. I did that , worked great. In New Mexico its a full size dump truck with a plow on the end, and they tilt the bed and just let gravel sorta trickle out of it at the same time they plow, leaving fresh gravel behind. Just don't follow too close.

What I needed to know more than anything was whether or not they want proof of vaccinations as no one in the family 6 people have Covid vaccinations. Masks we can deal with but if they are really wanting a "doctors note" at the door thats a different matter. I will bring my pit and some steaks just in case. We mainly want to ski and visit art exhibits and see sites like White Sands.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #11

Our son holds a season pass to Taos ski valley and never had to show proof of vaccination, we skied Siapapu 2 days and no proof there either, not sure on Red River or Angle Fire. Masked were required indoors at both areas. Just a fyi if you want beer go to Cid's at the Taos base area as cost is much cheaper than any other place, food was good, and I would say average cost for a ski area.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And a satellite could fall on your head . Might get abducted by an alien . A space tourist rocket could land on your RV . Good grief.....
I was going to suggest a tin-foil hard hat!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #13

No vax card required in NM......>YET. But our governor changes her mind on the rules every few weeks, so by the time you're ready to go it could well be different. Check the NM Dept of Health web site https://cv.nmhealth.org/ for the latest information.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
No vax card required in NM......>YET. But our governor changes her mind on the rules every few weeks, so by the time you're ready to go it could well be different. Check the NM Dept of Health web site https://cv.nmhealth.org/ for the latest information.
Can't see vaccination card ever being needed in NM no matter what the governor decides. Also, every business has to post that masks are required, but very few actually require it or stop you from coming in.
But checking the website is always a good idea.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #15
Scoundrel

Quote:
:roflb lack:

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #16

Hahahaha. Ok, thanks for the replies. I had a friend just come back from Breckinridge and he said that at the resort there, they were checking Covid Passports to eat in the restaurants but he said they never really look he just flashes his phone because doubt minimum wage wait staff also wants to be bouncers too. I will check out CIDs because I do not want to eat at the resorts anyways. I was telling the wife, "I hope they do check" because its a great excuse to drive down the road to a restaurant outside of the resort and save myself $100 bucks, maybe even $200. I have paid as much as $30 for a beer and a sandwich at those resorts. We got 6 people. The NM website says that vaccine are only required for States and Federal Workers and thats only in certain fields , mainly medical. Masks are required in restaurants.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #17

I got a 16oz beer and a cheesesteak at Cid's for around $15, I also like the Bavarian when skiing but sure it is not cheap.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Can't see vaccination card ever being needed in NM no matter what the governor decides. Also, every business has to post that masks are required, but very few actually require it or stop you from coming in.
But checking the website is always a good idea.

We also in New Mexico. (I'm posting not using my own account.)

Outside of the big cities--and often even within--people tend to be reasonable: I did a week trip away from Albuquerque last month, and I didn't put on a mask--or ask for vax status (although I've three jabs so far, so don't need to find a v-card forgerere)--until after back in town. Most people realize that our governor is basically clueless and unable to evaluate and assimilate data from multiple sources.

The ski resorts may be policed more oppressively, but even with them, we tend not to be a police state, so less oppression.

Rule of thumb: the farther from the big cities, the less the worry. Have a "mask" or "V-card" in your pocket, but usually don't worry about it if not in a big city.
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Good thing they are going skiing then
They are from Texas. They do not get snow and ice. They are towing a trailer and under estimate the challenges.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
They are from Texas. They do not get snow and ice. They are towing a trailer and under estimate the challenges.
If you read the OP's responses you would see they are experienced with the area and dealing with the snow.