Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #1

Florida This Winter- How Safe Is It?

We decided to give Florida a chance this winter instead of Arizona to save a few miles driving. The reservations were made last January, prior o the Delta variant and what we are now seeing and reading in the news about Florida. We are both in our seventies and fully vaccinated, I even qualified for the booster so got that right away. I have a severely compromised immune system and we faithfully follow all protocols. The concern is what happens if we get sick, are there hospitals or doctors available? The news we get up here from down there makes it sound like every medical building is filled with COVID. I would like to hear from those who live there.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
Always Learning

I live just outside of Orlando.

It really depends on the hospital and area that you're considering. Some are full- they're treating people and turning them around as quickly as possible. Others have stopped doing electric surgeries. And even others are continuing with business as usual. Fortunately, I was able to proceed with an elective surgery a couple of weeks ago and my wife has one next week.

I don't think I would put off coming to Florida for the winter but I'm also a relatively healthy 40 year old with a healthy immune system.

I hope that my non-answer helps some.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

Your non-answer was good, thanks. We will be staying at Suwanee River and Witlacoochee Forest. So Northen and almost Central Florida.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
We decided to give Florida a chance this winter instead of Arizona to save a few miles driving. The reservations were made last January, prior o the Delta variant and what we are now seeing and reading in the news about Florida. We are both in our seventies and fully vaccinated, I even qualified for the booster so got that right away. I have a severely compromised immune system and we faithfully follow all protocols. The concern is what happens if we get sick, are there hospitals or doctors available? The news we get up here from down there makes it sound like every medical building is filled with COVID. I would like to hear from those who live there.
So we live in Florida and my DW is a cancer and heart attack survivor. Myself kidney issues and Bronchitis... both of us in our upper 60s. We've been traveling around in our MH not just in Florida but North to NE. We are both vaccinated waiting for the booster. We take care who we associate with including neighbors where we live and camp. Like you we take all the precautions. It seems what I've seen on the news things are getting better, less in the hospital though it's a combination of people getting better and the amount of people passing unfortunately. I'd come, if I was you I'd just continue to play it safe. Good thing about heading to a warmer climate state it affords you the opportunity to get outside vs. being stuck inside during the colder weather. IMHO that's a better place to be with any people around you. Enjoy !
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
{snip}...It seems what I've seen on the news things are getting better, less in the hospital though it's a combination of people getting better and the amount of people passing unfortunately...{snip}
The actual CDC data contradict this...especially in Florida. I would get more information from reputable sources (e.g.: Johns Hopkins, CDC, etc.) to help get a handle on the regional impact of the Delta variant.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 09-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

There are several states I am avoiding for awhile. Texas and Florida are tops on that list. We just cancelled our trip to Fredericksburg TX for the Oktoberfest due to covid concerns in a festival setting and Texas' lack of it, plus their high covid numbers.
Back to our favorite canyon with a few friends in the backwoods of the Gila National Forest where we can go for weeks without seeing anybody we don't know
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

Safe in Florida

Don't believe what you read in the press. Florida's vaccination rate is higher than the national average. Infection rates are dropping rapidly as predicted by the Israeli model. You will be outdoors and safe.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholdeman View Post
Don't believe what you read in the press. Florida's vaccination rate is higher than the national average. Infection rates are dropping rapidly as predicted by the Israeli model. You will be outdoors and safe.
Floridaís full! Even if you survive Covid they still have alligators,hurricanes and high crime rates. And if you want to truly stay safe, keep off I-4 and I -75
Old 09-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
rfifer

I live in Miami and am on faculty at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Florida is getting better, but that is a relative statement. The latest tallies are showing about 10,000 to 15,000 new cases per day, down from 21,000 to 27,000. In contrast to some other states, the hospitals in South Florida are not overflowing. Jackson Memorial Hospital currently has 265 Covid patients in its hospital system, down from 460 a few weeks ago. So, on a relative scale things are better but not yet good.

There are some areas of Miami where you don't want to go to be safe. But the campgrounds and state parks are away from the heavy party areas for the most part. I have been camping a couple times recently at a state park near Naples and feel quite safe there. Have not experienced anything to make me feel uncomfortable or compromised. I personally don't wear a mask in the campground unless I'm going in a building or approaching a group of people. My wife and I hit a discount mall over Labor Day weekend and definitely wore masks in the stores to be safe. So, at least for my part of the state, my feeling is that the risk is manageable with a mask indoors and stay away from crowds.

And one last note, I'm a researcher looking at the effect of the coronavirus on child and adolescent development, so I have become quite acquainted with the virus from a research perspective. Bottom line: it's a nasty little booger! Unless you are stacked on top of one another, campgrounds are probably one of the safer places to be. But I do recommend a mask when inside and around other people from other places.
TV F-150
Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spkittrick1 View Post
Floridaís full! Even if you survive Covid they still have alligators,hurricanes and high crime rates. And if you want to truly stay safe, keep off I-4 and I -75
Donít forget Floridaís completely overrun with con artists.

2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, that usually happens around 9 am.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #11

If you have concerns~ they will certainly grow if you come! I've been in Fl last year, in FL this month and will snowbird here 4 months. We are in our 70s but not fearful. Unless you stay inside your camper you will be in contact with unmasked and unvaxed. Some are seen masked around the area but if you expect the waitress to wear a mask ~~ surprise it will not happen.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #12

I was listening to a news report this morning that was talking to folks in Brittan. Like Israel, their delta infection numbers are plummeting. So, because Florida got hit early, using the history of Israel and Brittan as a model, the numbers in Florida should be dropping quickly. Other areas may still see their numbers go up, until enough people have either gotten their jabs or gotten the virus and recovered.
Now we need to start worrying about the Flu again!

Best wishes, enjoy your winter!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 09-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Florida is as safe as anywhere else. Just follow the same precautions you do at home. There are plenty of medical services in Florida and the weather will be much more pleasant than Milwaukee. Get out and enjoy your life.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #14

We have a home in a SW Florida mobile home park, but are not currently there. Yesterday, we spoke on the phone with our immediate neighbor whom is an elderly permanent FL resident. The park initially shut everything down at the start of Covid 19. Activities are still limited, but tolerable. There are indoor meetings and limited indoor events. Only a couple of our residents contracted Covid.

As Covid goes, there are peaks and lows. Florida is at its peak. The ratio of FL cases relative to our current location is 10 to 1. And the age group is younger. If the pattern holds, the case numbers should come down. To be honest, it is not safe anywhere. But people taking precautions and following guidelines appear to be doing okay. We are hoping for our 3rd dose before we come down. We already have our new flu shot.

I have heard from others in Florida that there are some shortages at grocery stores. Publix employees have indicated that it is in the supply chain. Walmart seems to be keeping up with demand. You may want to bring adequate supplies of small items you can carry.

We have noticed in two northern states that people have become lax in taking preventive measures. Go into one store, nearly no one, including clerks, are wearing masks. In other stores, everyone has a mask. We will continue to follow guidelines. We keep enough supplies on hand for a minimum of two weeks without shopping.

We will be waiting and watching case numbers, but plan on being in Florida this fall. Your Florida destination will be fairly safe.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Moseley View Post
Florida is as safe as anywhere else.....
The Covid case numbers don't support your assertion.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
The actual CDC data contradict this...especially in Florida. I would get more information from reputable sources (e.g.: Johns Hopkins, CDC, etc.) to help get a handle on the regional impact of the Delta variant.
I'm not sure what your mean, I get my sources from many places including those you mentioned plus friends, etc. in the health field and FF friends who live it every single day. I'm not saying it's gone but its getting better like it's done before. You can provide your facts but people have so much info that it's harder and harder to disseminate facts from fiction, unfortunately. Honestly I don't blame them but being vaccinated is a safe bet to stay alive. It worked for Mumps, measles, and many other deadly sickness over the years.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
It seems what I've seen on the news things are getting better, less in the hospital though it's a combination of people getting better and the amount of people passing unfortunately.
According to raw data downloaded from the CDC website just an hour ago, the average number of new cases per day in Florida for the entire month of August was 2,321 confirmed cases per day. So far for 9/1 to 9/15 the average number of confirmed cases per day in Florida is 2,390. So not much change in confirmed new cases per day between August and September so far.

Part of the problem with news reports is that they typically look at a trend over just a few days, and you have to remember there is an incubation period for COVID of up to 14 days. So when you analyze what is happening today - you really are analyzing what happened 1 to 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #18

We just moved out to the North Georgia mountains so you can feel free take our place.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #19

I have found that I feel a lot better about heading to Florida this year than last year when I wasn't that worried about it. I just stopped watching mainstream news.

If you're giving up your reservation in the Keys let me know.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
Old 09-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
The concern is what happens if we get sick, are there hospitals or doctors available? The news we get up here from down there makes it sound like every medical building is filled with COVID. I would like to hear from those who live there.
I don't live there, but if I read your post correctly, you are concerned if there will be a hospital bed for you if you get sick or in an accident. It's a valid concern and I'm not certain that anyone can answer that question. In Texas, we're already losing people from heart attacks, accidents, and other medical conditions because there are no staffed ER beds available.
Many states are already publicly 'rationing care' and other states are rationing care but not releasing that information. You could try calling hospitals in the area where you're planning to camp or looking for a reliable online newspaper to get the information.

However, what the conditions at hospitals will be in a month from now, it's anyone's guess.

Tags
florida, winter