Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

From Texas to Maine

We are wanting to travel from Texas to Maine. We only have 5 more states besides Alaska to hit. We were thinking of going to Nags Head and then North to Maine then across New Hampshire Vermont and New York.

Being from Texas we were wondering about travel restrictions and experiences. It seems most states in the NE want us to quarantine for 14 days. Is this true? Can we get through and have places to stay without quarantine ?

Our plan has been to leave around the 20th of Sept. Any advice would be helpful. We are in a 24ft class C. tia.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
waybeck2018

Our original plan for 2020 was to complete our trips to all 50, with only 9 to go. COVID changed those plans. Next was the Iowa Frogtoberfest. And now that is canceled.

NOW,We are looking at a trip ending in Maine outbound and back through NH, Vermont and NY, PA, etc to return. Based on recent checks, Maine will require yo to quarantine 14 days if on a restricted state list. Pretty sure Texas is on the list. I know Alabama is. NY also has some serious restrictions. Each state has a web site giving specifics. I do not have the ME and NY website handy right now. Hope this helps. We may have to just stay home !!

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 09-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks

It looks like we are just going to make the outer banks unless things change. I think the nags head area will be okay. Do you folks concur?
Old 09-03-2020, 12:02 AM   #4

I confess that I haven't read this, but it might answer some of your concerns:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/states-re...215946935.html
Old 09-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

when in Outerbanks, there is not any campgrounds I can recommend in Nags Head. Head south on RT 12 for around 1/2 hour to Rodanthe/Waves NC. you will find Camp Hattaris and KOA. both are same price (sort of expensive) but your getting a campsite with easy walking distance to beach (campground boarders beach with a sand dune separation) (make reservations in advance.)

closer to nags head is the Oregon inlet national campground. Less money, and I understand they have a couple electric sites now but the walk to beach is 15 minutes over steep sand dunes or down a 4x4 road with 12" deep sugar sand. Plus being so close to the inlet the ocean water will probably not be as clear as it is down in Rodanthe

This is the best time of year to visit that area, kids are gone (back in school). weather is not real hot, but its still beach weather. but watch the hurricane forecast.

that time in September at Rodanthe some of the restaurants may still be open (not sure how covid affects), pizza delivery is available. in NC you have to visit an ABC store for liquor (30 miles south by cape hatteris light house or 30 miles north in Nags Head) but beer and wine are available in stores. grocery store is 20 minutes south in Avon NC.

and don't forget you are guaranteeing in your RV
I hope to do 2 or 3 weeks starting Mid October this year.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Did you really mean you’re going “From Taxes to Maine”?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 09-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by popshumphrey View Post
We are wanting to travel from Texas to Maine. We only have 5 more states besides Alaska to hit. We were thinking of going to Nags Head and then North to Maine then across New Hampshire Vermont and New York.

Being from Texas we were wondering about travel restrictions and experiences. It seems most states in the NE want us to quarantine for 14 days. Is this true? Can we get through and have places to stay without quarantine ?

Our plan has been to leave around the 20th of Sept. Any advice would be helpful. We are in a 24ft class C. tia.
There's another option beside quarantine. Below is the requirement from a nice RV place in Cape Cod. "Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival, unless you are visiting from a lower-risk state designated by the Department of Public Health.Quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.

Pretty much what they do for college kids returning to school in NYC.

Oh and yea, I want to escape TAXES too.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yes, well maybe. My hearing is gone. My eyes are gone. My fingers don't work. So missing a key here and there is normal.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

We left Maine because of taxes LOL
Old 09-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Retired

If you are going to Maine and want to avoid the hassle I would rethink your travel plans and enter Maine through VT & NH
Old 09-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #11

how

Okay Mainley, those of us from Taxes [texas] want to know how does that help? How would we do it? We would still be in quarantine in New York I suppose to get the Vermont or New Hampshire. When I was traveling the West Bank in the middle east, I had to change my license plates and I don't have a NH or vermont license plate.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
If you are going to Maine and want to avoid the hassle I would rethink your travel plans and enter Maine through VT & NH
Uh...at present, its always be through NH.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
Old 09-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #13

Here is a start for you regarding entering Maine and COVID 19. https://www.maine.gov/covid19/

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
Old 09-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:

Maine has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place. And because of that and the fact it is being somewhat enforced, our infection rate is quite low. If you do come, be prepared to wear a mask just about everywhere.
Here is a link to the Maine CDC site on travel.
https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...tml#quarantine

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Old 09-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #15

Texas to Maine

At this point you might be wise to wait a year, NJ really doesn't' want you either.
Good luck, safe travels.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #16
CGK
Camping with Labs

We've been enjoying Maine, our favorite east coast state, since 1983; but we had to postpone our reservations this year until 2021. We live in MD, and with the exception of PA, any state we would pass through on the way to Maine - and Maine itself - has a quarantine requirement. The definition of "quarantine" may not be the same from state to state, but since things seem to be getting worse in the COVID-19 world, we decided we wouldn't chance being in violation of anyone's policy. So we'll try again next year, assuming things are better by then. Hope you eventually make the trip.....Maine is a fabulous place for anyone who enjoys outdoor activities - or even for those who simply love to see the sights. Safe travels!
Old 09-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #17

Tex to Maine

Quote:

Whatever you do go around NYC.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #18

We are from the Nags Head area and had to cancel our trip to Maine & NY/New England due to the quarantine of campers in their RV for 2 weeks. Will do it next year.
So Nags Head is one of the towns on the commercial north side of the Outerbanks and Sept/October are great months as the crowds are down and the weather is still wonderful as long as there's no hurricanes! The campgrounds mentioned are all fine and I'd mention that the closest one to Nags Head is the one on Roanoke Island called The Refuge which is a good park and reasonable for this area. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions about the area I can help with.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #19

Even travel out West is restricted. That's why on the upcoming Labor Day Weekend we will spend our trip within AZ--too many restrictions elsewhere and fears of AZ travelers in other states. Let's hope a year from now we can speak a different language.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #20

If you prefer state parks like we do, be aware that some (maybe all) New England states close the campgrounds in their state parks in mid-October. I don't know about private campgrounds. Also, the New England state parks we stayed in had no hookups. That included electricity.

I hope you get to enjoy your east coast and New England adventure, if not this year, then next year. I have a feeling that campgrounds will be jammed next year!
Closed Thread