Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Head for home!

We are in a private campground in Cortez Fla for 1 more week,than we are going to a private campground for a week at Homoasassa springs! Should we pull up stakes and head to home in the Adirondacks of NYS?
Noahron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Why?
Will it be different at home?
Are you in the "at risk" category?

Not trying to be a smarty pants... just asking.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Why?
Will it be different at home?
Are you in the "at risk" category?

Not trying to be a smarty pants... just asking.
No we are not in the risk category! We just don't want to get stuck here for a long time!
Noahron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

None of us know what tomorrow brings as far as sanctions placed on the public.

We have basically the same plans as you and intend to stick with them until we can't.

Any travel sanctions that have been imposed, have come with enough time for folks to make their move.

I simply can't imagine you'll get stranded and not be able to go to plan B.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #5

We own a house but we have been living in our RV for the past 3 months. Currently this is "our home". We have everything here that we have elsewhere. There is no reason to go anywhere if we don't want to. We plan the leave in May and go back up north when the snow is gone. No plans to change anything.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #6

I wouldn't - BUT - in light of everyone shutting down you might be forced to head back. We have a trip planned to Pensacola FL early April. Our RV Park has said they are open and plan on staying open, so we are heading down.

ArubaGeorgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
None of us know what tomorrow brings as far as sanctions placed on the public.

We have basically the same plans as you and intend to stick with them until we can't.

Any travel sanctions that have been imposed have come with enoughtime for folks to make their move.

I a simply can't imagine you'll get stranded and not be able to go to plan B.

Put the two highlighted pieces together and you have the main reason many are concerned.

This morning it was announced that severe travel restrictions within the US are POSSIBLE. Just like was was cone in Italy, "Hot Spots" could become totally isolated with all but emergency travel in or out could be prohibited.

Like you said, nobody knows what tomorrow might bring.

I agree that if one is currently set up away from home and already had plans for an extended stay, I'd stay put until ordered out. Of course those who are better set up for boondocking will have an easier time of it if they can't make it all the way home due to an area quarantine.

Perhaps a parking lot of a closed restaurant will make a good temporary home.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #8

I can't think of a better place to be stuck. Publix and Winn Dixie will probably be offering delivery service or at least outside pickup soon. You are just a short walk to the beach and at last check the dolphins are not carrier of the virus. Enjoy the sunsets and breath in the fresh air.
beanerwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

Each one of us will have to make a choice .... I am home because my family is close and they know if they need something Dad/PawPaw will have it ... I wish everyone best of luck with there travels and hope for the best this all gets past us ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Team

We're currently halfway through our "Find the Sun" tour. We're at the California/Arizona border and have 12 nights reserved.
We just decided to keep going fir now and then head home once were dine in Arizona, where it's not crazy. Well be cancelling our plans for stayong in California, after Arizona. The state has cancelled our 6 nights in a SoCal state park.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #11

We just started on our way home today. We were to be in Texas Hill Country for another 16 days. We decided since everything was closing around us there was no reason to stay. We had enough of the necessities to get by but if we got stuck somewhere and there was no place to buy we would be in trouble. We are in the at risk group and no reported cases in our home area.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahron3 View Post
We are in a private campground in Cortez Fla for 1 more week,than we are going to a private campground for a week at Homoasassa springs! Should we pull up stakes and head to home in the Adirondacks of NYS?
It just all depends. We have self quarantined. Have not been close to another person since Friday (6 days). We had groceries deliver by Publix. Having fun lounging around house, cooking etc. we also can go for rides or for boat rides that don’t require us to socialize with others.

We have another house in North Carolina in a small town. Thought about going there and then decided against it. If we got sick we would be away from our family and more importantly our doctors. If one of us got sick I guess one of us could drive home.

Can you self quarantine where you are? If you need to get home can both of you drive the RV? If you are set on supplies and you are enjoying your stay then stay put. Probably still cold at home. Be safe and wash your hands...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
We just started on our way home today. We were to be in Texas Hill Country for another 16 days. We decided since everything was closing around us there was no reason to stay. We had enough of the necessities to get by but if we got stuck somewhere and there was no place to buy we would be in trouble. We are in the at risk group and no reported cases in our home area.
I think it's easier to ride out a storm like this at home. At least you know the territory well and if what you need is unavailable in one store, you know alternates to check out. Even better if you have family in the area.

Everyone in my family is now exchanging needs. If one needs any of the basics they merely text the rest of the family and while we're doing our regular shopping and spot what the other needs, we pick up some for them. We're spread out over a 20 mile distance so each has different shopping opportunities and different levels of "community panic".

Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanerwi View Post
I can't think of a better place to be stuck. Publix and Winn Dixie will probably be offering delivery service or at least outside pickup soon. You are just a short walk to the beach and at last check the dolphins are not carrier of the virus. Enjoy the sunsets and breath in the fresh air.
All beaches closed in Alabama. Also some in Florida.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #15

We are leaving about 12:30 to head over to Cape Henlopen State Park for the weekend. All events cancelled in the park but camp grounds are open. Only 15 mins from home. Got the TT all cleaned up and free of mice finally. Found a big nest under the kitchen sink. Something must happened to them because I found 3 dead mice under the TT in my driveway????
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #16
SJB

We are debating whether or not to begin our spring trailer trip on Sunday (when the snow from our current storms will have cleared -- we hope!) and are looking for some concrete information from those of you currently on the road.

- Are you having any problems finding gas along the interstates/highways?
- Are the rest areas along the interstates still open (New Mexico and Arizona specifically)?
- Are the private RV parks staying open?
- Are you finding grocery stores that have drive-up or delivery options?

We live in the mountains and are deep into spring snow, slush and mud season. While we are old enough to be in the "high risk" category, we are definitely suffering from "mud season malaise" staying at home! Plus we have a new Rockwood trailer that we are itching to experience!

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by todalake View Post
All beaches closed in Alabama. Also some in Florida.
From watching the news reports I would gather that beaches are being closed so those who figure being young immunizes them from the virusthey just "(beach) Party On".

Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
From watching the news reports I would gather that beaches are being closed so those who figure being young immunizes them from the virusthey just "(beach) Party On".
2020 Spring Break Theme- PaRtY LiKe It'S 1918!
Old 03-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
We are debating whether or not to begin our spring trailer trip on Sunday (when the snow from our current storms will have cleared -- we hope!) and are looking for some concrete information from those of you currently on the road.

- Are the rest areas along the interstates still open (New Mexico and Arizona specifically)?

We live in the mountains and are deep into spring snow, slush and mud season. While we are old enough to be in the "high risk" category, we are definitely suffering from "mud season malaise" staying at home! Plus we have a new Rockwood trailer that we are itching to experience!

Thanks for your input.
From what I've been reading every effort is being made to keep gas stations and grocery stores open.

At gas stations you might want to use the same practice as you might for handling the holding tank dump hose. Wear gloves and wash hands after using the gas pump nozzle.

If you pass Walmarts on your trip many, if not most, have pickup service. Order and pay online. Locally the delivery people (at the store's pickup area) are taking steps to distance during the delivery process.

I'm getting ready to do some traveling next week. To make sure I will have what I need I'll take plenty of supplies and won't run the gas tank as low before I start looking for fuel, just in case.

As for places to stay? I mainly boondock so lots of opportunities for me versus those who are tied to "hookups".

Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post

We've been traveling through Arizona for 10 days now. We still have another 10 days.
1. No problems getting gas
2. Private parks are open and thriving
3. Haven't needed to do drive-up or delivery

Coming from SoCal, Arizona is a whole different world, regarding the virus. Seniors in the RV parks are enjoying their time and doing what they normally do. They had a big St, Patrick's day party with dancing and live band. They congregate with friends, like they always have. Most we talk to, feel this has been way overblown. But the older generation has seen Y2K, SARS, Ebola, 2008, and other panics so they are not as reactionary.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote