Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

health care workers need your RV

It seems as if some health care workers are using their RV (if they have one) to self-quarantine themselves from their family after coming home from a long shift.
Local news is also looking for RV owners to temporarily donate their RV to health care workers during the Corona Virus lock down.
Anyone planning to do this?
https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/faceb...r-long-shifts/
Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #2

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...from-families/
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

I know it’s for a good cause but I couldn’t do it. I want to use my rv later on. I would be willing to tow a camper somewhere for people to use but my camper is at my house.
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

Good idea unless you live in a HOA community that threatens to fine you $1000 a day. https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...quarantine-rv/

We have one tt in our neighborhood which prohibits rvs unless they are concealed from view (almost impossible). We're hoping that they are making an exception for these people due to the virus.

Not sure I'd loan out our mh. The main problem would be waste disposal and insurance.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well... it's certainly an admirable thought... but... I don't think "temporarily donate" is a term or thought process that should be used to describe the consideration.

What about insurance?
Who is going to disinfect and sanitize the R/V after use?
Things like bedding sheets and upholstery would need replaced or thorough cleaning.
Who would (and how would they) dump the tanks.
Non R/Vers wouldn't have a clue how that stuff operates.

I simply can't imagine temporarily donating my R/V to someone other than a family member and even then???

I am VERY grateful for what those on the front lines are doing but I'm just not sure this is something I'd do on a "temporarily donate" basis.

Donate without the expectations of me ever using it again?... maybe... if I could financially afford to do so.

I'd be more than happy to donate monetarily to a RV company that would provide used/new units to the workers under the premise of full disclosure of what the R/V was used for should they (the person it was donated to) or the R/V company decide to sell it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
It seems as if some health care workers are using their RV (if they have one) to self-quarantine themselves from their family after coming home from a long shift.

Local news is also looking for RV owners to temporarily donate their RV to health care workers during the Corona Virus lock down.

Anyone planning to do this?

https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/faceb...r-long-shifts/
The guy the article talks about could buy one. Maybe take his family camping once it’s all over with. Lots of folks do that. Apparently that’s what my wife’s father did when he was a crane operator.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Dockweiler Beach RV Park in Los Angeles kicked out/ cancelled all reservations so the city can use it for quarantine purposes. I saw a photo of it filled up with rows of rental class c rvs. (I saw the lettering on the sides, all of them the same.) I don’t know if the city rented or purchased former rental rvs.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

Just give it a little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Well... it's certainly an admirable thought... but... I don't think "temporarily donate" is a term or thought process that should be used to describe the consideration.

What about insurance?
Who is going to disinfect and sanitize the R/V after use?
Things like bedding sheets and upholstery would need replaced or thorough cleaning.
Who would (and how would they) dump the tanks.
Non R/Vers wouldn't have a clue how that stuff operates.

I simply can't imagine temporarily donating my R/V to someone other than a family member and even then???

I am VERY grateful for what those on the front lines are doing but I'm just not sure this is something I'd do on a "temporarily donate" basis.

Donate without the expectations of me ever using it again?... maybe... if I could financially afford to do so.

I'd be more than happy to donate monetarily to a RV company that would provide used/new units to the workers under the premise of full disclosure of what the R/V was used for should they (the person it was donated to) or the R/V company decide to sell it.
It's generally conceded that the virus will die after time on both organic and inorganic surfaces. There's some disagreement about the time but no one is arguing for more than a week. So loan the RV and just don't reclaim it for a week after it's vacated.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It's generally conceded that the virus will die after time on both organic and inorganic surfaces. There's some disagreement about the time but no one is arguing for more than a week. So loan the RV and just don't reclaim it for a week after it's vacated.
So I guess you would donate your RV. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

No, the thought won't even cross my mind to 'lend' out our RV.
This is going to get worse before it gets better.
Even in NM where movement was restricted fairly early, the numbers are starting the familiar, rapid, climb.
Our RV is ready to go for weeks of boondocking. If worse comes to worst, then we are heading out of the city, going to one of the nearby family farms in our RV.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
I Break Everything

I've seen this passed around from place to place. People without RVs of any kind don't get it. Nice gesture if all the planets line up. Power, Sewage, Water, Location, propane and again, power. I wouldn't want to be the one dumping that thing in hospital parking lot. If you have a garage, that would be the way to go.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #12

Cruise America or other RV rental companies could donate.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #13

Not at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
So I guess you would donate your RV. Later RJD
Not at all.

One of our trailers is in a resort that's in lockdown.

The other has the roof off, not suitable for occupancy.

And if they were available, I still would not loan either to a stranger that was unfamiliar with RVs. Lots of horror stories, etc.

Besides that, the siting question hasn't been answered.

The ONLY purpose of my post was to respond to the disinfection argument. The other contentions remain valid.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Not at all.

One of our trailers is in a resort that's in lockdown.

The other has the roof off, not suitable for occupancy.

And if they were available, I still would not loan either to a stranger that was unfamiliar with RVs. Lots of horror stories, etc.

Besides that, the siting question hasn't been answered.

The ONLY purpose of my post was to respond to the disinfection argument. The other contentions remain valid.
I wasn't arguing.

My statement about sanitizing and disinfecting stands. And I know it was pointed at me because you quoted my post.

You loan out your R/V to a healthcare worker (and likely a carrier) and the tanks get full or they trip a breaker or the pump fails or the water heater quits or a fitting leaks... SOMEONE is going to have to sanitize and disinfect the R/V before I go in to check on it.

If you want to let yours set there with crap overflowing from the shower/toilet or water in the cabinets from a pipe leak waiting on the virus to die out... be my guest. Non argument over.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #15

I already have a 22 year old nurse in mine. She is working 12+ hours a day and her mother has additional health issues so she is camping in the drive. Dad has fixed the pin on the slide motor that broke when I set the TT up at their home, hie water connection at the house which leaked and the circuit breaker when she tried to get 30 amps out of a 15 amp line. He has a plan on black water as well.

This is for just a month, but I suspect it will be alt least two. There is a condo getting fixed up for her.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

RV’s 4 Md’s

In these uncertain times with Covid19 aka Coronavirus, many healthcare workers are terrified to stay home because they don’t want to spread anything they picked up at work. Many are self isolating but have nowhere to do this. A group has surfaced to help with this. It is called RV’s 4 MD’s. (Find on Facebook, due to forum files I have not posted a direct link). If you are willing and able they are looking for people to donate their RV’s (any size or type) for use. Also looking for campgrounds to donate Sites. Several matches have been made already. Thank you!

This thread is not a debate about whether to rent an RV, a post for political Covid19 or healthcare discussions. It is just a post intended to help people who are helping others.

Mods please delete if not allowed or move to different spot if needed. Just trying to connect RVs with people in need. I have no affiliation other than being both a nurse and a volunteer in the group. I do not make anything or benefit anything from it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

For those with concerns, I get it. I am a nurse and an RV owner. I know how much money we have invested in these and how these are our babies. I also know many here are in an at risk population. I probably understand the concerns of both transmission of Covid19 and proper RV care better than most. I also know that signs of Covid19 were found in princess cruises for up to 19 days after passengers disembarked. I would put ours up for use but with both my husband and I working in at risk positions, we are keeping it as an option for one of us should we need to self isolate.

All concerns are being considered at this time. There are many discussions occurring about properly disinfecting the Units without damaging the interiors. Currently, most are expecting the unit to have a proper interior detailing and cleaning including ozone cleaners. Bleach does kill the virus but as we know it can damage an interior. As for tanks etc, dine RV’s are being set up at campgrounds so water and sewage/pump out services may be available. Most are giving a tutorial on usage when they drop off the RV. Most receiving are so grateful for helping them they will take extreme care of it. Many of those seeking have family at home that are in high risk categories or young children, immuno-compromised family members etc. these are people that have been sleeping in tents or in garages to avoid their families. While doing this they can’t get a decent night sleep lowering their immune system and making them at higher risk for contracting the virus and becoming another healthcare/first responder statistic.

If you don’t want to for any reason, that is fine. We are asking for those willing to help or looking for a way to help. Even if you are a volunteer to help the effort or help with matching, media to get word out, offer a site to put an RV on, or any one of another ways they are asking for help. Anything is appreciated. Again, if this is not for you, no worries. All we ask is you stay safe as well.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:25 AM   #18

Quote:
It was generally conceded that we should wear masks either. Now we are supposed to. Also, animals weren't supposed to be able to get this. Now there is an infected tiger at the Bronx zoo. Too many new/unknowns for me.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I already have a 22 year old nurse in mine. She is working 12+ hours a day and her mother has additional health issues so she is camping in the drive. Dad has fixed the pin on the slide motor that broke when I set the TT up at their home, hie water connection at the house which leaked and the circuit breaker when she tried to get 30 amps out of a 15 amp line. He has a plan on black water as well.

This is for just a month, but I suspect it will be alt least two. There is a condo getting fixed up for her.
Very nice of you!
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #20
Site Team

https://www.wifr.com/content/news/Pa...569424591.html

Local rv place donates RVs for first responders.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote