Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,346
The seat portion of a shopping cart where people set their small kids, some that might have a full diaper.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 03-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 174
Not in New Mexico. No overnight camping but Day Use areas open for family reunions and large groups.



I think that's reverse logic but....
__________________
2017 Ford F350 LB SRW 4x4
2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
BigRockr is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Funengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rockford, Michigan
Posts: 388
How many "dirty" things do we touch every day?

[ďQUOTE=BigRockr;2286432]Jesus! Didn't the OP start this off by asking for dirty things. (WHICH MIGHT BE HELPFUL!)? The first response went off the rails. Your whole life doesn't need to be political. (Which seems to be the norm for this age group or forum, take your pick!} ď

Not really necessary BigRocker
__________________
TT: Flagstaff 25FBLS
Previous TT: Jayco, Rockwood and Flagstaff
TV: 2017 F-150 SCREW, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, tow package.
Funengineer is online now  
Old 03-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #44
SeŮor Member
 
ForestWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 245
If people are are being told to sneeze into their sleeves or arms, are elbow bumps really that good of an idea?

Regardless of the funny looks I get, I'll stick with the Vulcan greeting.
"dif-tor heh smusma'
__________________
2017 Forester
3051S "Bluga"
ForestWalker is online now  
Old 03-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 857
I have always a avoided touching public door handles and fuel pumps. I rarely use money as I use my phone at the grocery store every 2 weeks and order most other things online.
I get the feeling that people are confusing antibacterial with antiviral.
aircommuter is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Not really necessary BigRocker

Sorry to offend, Funengineer. If forgot that it's normal to hijack threads for political comments instead of sticking to the OPs post. My apologies.
BigRockr is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
oldsmasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 665
Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Your credit card could get contaminated when you hand it over to the cashier at the store and all the items you just purchased that he/she rang up for you.
In our jurisdiction the card never leaves your hands. Tap or insert into point of sale machine and enter pin
oldsmasma is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 881
This from my wifeís Facebook page.

ď Iím not afraid to shake your hands because I think you may have the corona virus, Iím afraid to shake your hands because I think you may have run out of toilet paperĒ
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
This from my wifeís Facebook page.

ď Iím not afraid to shake your hands because I think you may have the corona virus, Iím afraid to shake your hands because I think you may have run out of toilet paperĒ
In some countries they don't use TP at all. Just avoid touching their left hand.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 03-14-2020, 03:58 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Just curious...do you hold the sandwich with one hand, in the same spot the entire time?.....


Rich
That’s a good question. Yes, I do. However, just the other day I got a sub from my all-time favorite deli in Arlington. I was on my way between jobs and I had just snaked a sewer. I’m not in that area often, and there is no way I am going to drive past that deli without getting a sub, and there’s no way I am ever going to throw away one ounce of a sandwich from that place, so what I do is put a nitrile glove on the end of one half of the sub so all of the dressing and juices from the sweet and hot peppers don’t drip onto me as I’m driving, and I glove-up my hands. Towards the end of eating the sub, I slip the glove down off of the bread and pop the last piece into my mouth. My hands never touched the sub from the time I bought it to the time the last delicious bite went into my mouth.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 04:33 AM   #51
Member: Old Man Club
 
RockDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Northeast Illinois USA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Thatís a good question. Yes, I do. However, just the other day I got a sub from my all-time favorite deli in Arlington. I was on my way between jobs and I had just snaked a sewer. Iím not in that area often, and

there is no way I am going to drive past that deli without getting a sub, and thereís no way I am ever going to throw away one ounce of a sandwich from that place, so what I do is put a nitrile glove on the end of one half of the sub so all of the dressing and juices from the sweet and hot peppers donít drip onto me as Iím driving,

and I glove-up my hands. Towards the end of eating the sub, I slip the glove down off of the bread and pop the last piece into my mouth. My hands never touched the sub from the time I bought it to the time the last delicious bite went into my mouth.

Bruce
This is no longer a sandwich. This be a SAMMICH!!
__________________
"Walk softly...and carry a lot of tools!"

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The seat portion of a shopping cart where people set their small kids, some that might have a full diaper.

Or, where someone in a big box store sat their little doggy in the kiddie seat.


We were at a craft beer tasting room. They allow dogs. Many dogs were sitting/lying on the wooden booth benches.


Dogs have morphed into people....


Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is online now  
Old 03-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
This is no longer a sandwich. This be a SAMMICH!!
Yes. My helper refers to it as my sandwich condom.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,157
How many "dirty" things do we touch every day?

One thing I just thought of is if you check your luggage on an airline, the handles are suspect. The baggage handlers, assuming they even use the handles, will have handled everyone’s luggage along with yours. Wipe down your suitcase handles when retrieving them.

Here’s another one that’s travel related. Hotel’s plastic card room keys are reprogrammed and reused without being sanitized.

And one of my favorites: The maid at the hotel folds a little point on the toilet paper roll. Now do I want to use that first piece of toilet paper that the maid obviously handled? What are they thinking when they do this?

I guess these travel hazards are one reason it’s better to travel with an RV.

It’s amazing how this thread derailed at post #2 and has stayed derailed through many of its posts.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS Ford, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In some countries they don't use TP at all. Just avoid touching their left hand.

But I'm left-handed. Watch out for me.


__________________
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS
Chazman is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #56
rfifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 50
There is some difference between viruses and germs. We have daily exposure to both and, in many cases, live to tell about it with no worse than cold symptoms. But there are some germs and some viruses to which we much sit up and pay attention. Coved-19 from this member of the coronavirus family is one. Part of the panic is that this is a new virus and we don't completely know what to expect. Thus far, the death rate appears to be about 10 times higher than for the flu, mostly from pneumonia related issues. The older population is the group that appears to be at most risk, but younger people are also dying from the viral effects too. The physician in China who discovered this and tried report it became infected and died soon afterwards, just as one example.

The hysteria primarily is based on two things: the extreme contagious nature of the virus and the extremely poor response for containment and testing from the federal government. Of all the officials I have heard, there is only one authoritative voice telling it like it is, and that is Dr. Anthony Fauci. The contagion aspect of this virus plus its effects on the lower lungs are the most dangerous. Containment and mitigation are the two bywords for action. Both involve washing hands and not giving the virus to other people. If we are successful with containment and mitigation, as we were with SARS and NERS, then the rate of infection will drop dramatically and the danger from this thing will be pretty much in the past. But even at that, there is still much we don't know about the virus but are scrambling to find out. Folks at NIH and various research labs around the country are working hard to learn more about the virus' characteristics. And clinically, there are questions for which the answers may be between 3 and 10 years away. For example, why are children not impacted as much as adults. And among the mid-age range (30-60 years), what is special why some individuals with no apparent medical problems are dying? What is the most effective form of treatment for this virus (finding an anti-viral medication that works on this virus' RNA structure will also be a tremendous contribution).

To highlight my point, today's Zika virus is a good example. Zika has been around since 1947, but the virus mutated in the winter of 2013 and became much more aggressive to cause birth defects in newborns, central nervous system problems in adults (muscular weakness sometimes leading to complete paralysis) as two examples. And we just started seeing something in children exposed to the virus in the womb but tested negative at birth (meaning they showed no signs of infection). A percentage of these children are seemingly developing normally and then showing severe developmental delays becoming apparent at 16 and 18 months of age. The point being that we are discovering, through clinical illnesses, new viruses on a periodic basis. These will come and go, but in each case we must work together to contain the infections to a small(er) group of individuals and work toward effective treatments.If that doesn't happen, the end results will be worse than it needs to be. As we learn more about this virus and know what to expect and what to do, then the hysteria will calm down. But in the meantime, wash those hands as good, safe, general practice for everything out there that ails us.

Sorry about the length. I tend to be a little longwinded at times when trying to explain my thoughts.
rfifer is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Funengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rockford, Michigan
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
There is some difference between viruses and germs. We have daily exposure to both and, in many cases, live to tell about it with no worse than cold symptoms. But there are some germs and some viruses to which we much sit up and pay attention. Coved-19 from this member of the coronavirus family is one. Part of the panic is that this is a new virus and we don't completely know what to expect. Thus far, the death rate appears to be about 10 times higher than for the flu, mostly from pneumonia related issues. The older population is the group that appears to be at most risk, but younger people are also dying from the viral effects too. The physician in China who discovered this and tried report it became infected and died soon afterwards, just as one example.

The hysteria primarily is based on two things: the extreme contagious nature of the virus and the extremely poor response for containment and testing from the federal government. Of all the officials I have heard, there is only one authoritative voice telling it like it is, and that is Dr. Anthony Fauci. The contagion aspect of this virus plus its effects on the lower lungs are the most dangerous. Containment and mitigation are the two bywords for action. Both involve washing hands and not giving the virus to other people. If we are successful with containment and mitigation, as we were with SARS and NERS, then the rate of infection will drop dramatically and the danger from this thing will be pretty much in the past. But even at that, there is still much we don't know about the virus but are scrambling to find out. Folks at NIH and various research labs around the country are working hard to learn more about the virus' characteristics. And clinically, there are questions for which the answers may be between 3 and 10 years away. For example, why are children not impacted as much as adults. And among the mid-age range (30-60 years), what is special why some individuals with no apparent medical problems are dying? What is the most effective form of treatment for this virus (finding an anti-viral medication that works on this virus' RNA structure will also be a tremendous contribution).

To highlight my point, today's Zika virus is a good example. Zika has been around since 1947, but the virus mutated in the winter of 2013 and became much more aggressive to cause birth defects in newborns, central nervous system problems in adults (muscular weakness sometimes leading to complete paralysis) as two examples. And we just started seeing something in children exposed to the virus in the womb but tested negative at birth (meaning they showed no signs of infection). A percentage of these children are seemingly developing normally and then showing severe developmental delays becoming apparent at 16 and 18 months of age. The point being that we are discovering, through clinical illnesses, new viruses on a periodic basis. These will come and go, but in each case we must work together to contain the infections to a small(er) group of individuals and work toward effective treatments.If that doesn't happen, the end results will be worse than it needs to be. As we learn more about this virus and know what to expect and what to do, then the hysteria will calm down. But in the meantime, wash those hands as good, safe, general practice for everything out there that ails us.

Sorry about the length. I tend to be a little longwinded at times when trying to explain my thoughts.


Thanks rfifer.
I appreciate your reply although many wonít want to read or hear this information.
__________________
TT: Flagstaff 25FBLS
Previous TT: Jayco, Rockwood and Flagstaff
TV: 2017 F-150 SCREW, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, tow package.
Funengineer is online now  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Funengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Rockford, Michigan
Posts: 388
Hereís something that grosses me out. We all know that public toilets and floors are gross with unmentionable bacteria on them. Why is it that many drop trou when they sit on the throne and let their pants rest against the front of the toilet or on the floor. Then those pants are pulled up and all that bacteria gets transported to your car seat, dining room chairs or that nice big Lazy Boy recliner.

Iím really attuned to this as Im helping potty train our grandson and it never fails that he needs to go while away from home.
__________________
TT: Flagstaff 25FBLS
Previous TT: Jayco, Rockwood and Flagstaff
TV: 2017 F-150 SCREW, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, tow package.
Funengineer is online now  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
There is some difference between viruses and germs. We have daily exposure to both and, in many cases, live to tell about it with no worse than cold symptoms. But there are some germs and some viruses to which we much sit up and pay attention. Coved-19 from this member of the coronavirus family is one. Part of the panic is that this is a new virus and we don't completely know what to expect. Thus far, the death rate appears to be about 10 times higher than for the flu, mostly from pneumonia related issues. The older population is the group that appears to be at most risk, but younger people are also dying from the viral effects too. The physician in China who discovered this and tried report it became infected and died soon afterwards, just as one example.

The hysteria primarily is based on two things: the extreme contagious nature of the virus and the extremely poor response for containment and testing from the federal government. Of all the officials I have heard, there is only one authoritative voice telling it like it is, and that is Dr. Anthony Fauci. The contagion aspect of this virus plus its effects on the lower lungs are the most dangerous. Containment and mitigation are the two bywords for action. Both involve washing hands and not giving the virus to other people. If we are successful with containment and mitigation, as we were with SARS and NERS, then the rate of infection will drop dramatically and the danger from this thing will be pretty much in the past. But even at that, there is still much we don't know about the virus but are scrambling to find out. Folks at NIH and various research labs around the country are working hard to learn more about the virus' characteristics. And clinically, there are questions for which the answers may be between 3 and 10 years away. For example, why are children not impacted as much as adults. And among the mid-age range (30-60 years), what is special why some individuals with no apparent medical problems are dying? What is the most effective form of treatment for this virus (finding an anti-viral medication that works on this virus' RNA structure will also be a tremendous contribution).

To highlight my point, today's Zika virus is a good example. Zika has been around since 1947, but the virus mutated in the winter of 2013 and became much more aggressive to cause birth defects in newborns, central nervous system problems in adults (muscular weakness sometimes leading to complete paralysis) as two examples. And we just started seeing something in children exposed to the virus in the womb but tested negative at birth (meaning they showed no signs of infection). A percentage of these children are seemingly developing normally and then showing severe developmental delays becoming apparent at 16 and 18 months of age. The point being that we are discovering, through clinical illnesses, new viruses on a periodic basis. These will come and go, but in each case we must work together to contain the infections to a small(er) group of individuals and work toward effective treatments.If that doesn't happen, the end results will be worse than it needs to be. As we learn more about this virus and know what to expect and what to do, then the hysteria will calm down. But in the meantime, wash those hands as good, safe, general practice for everything out there that ails us.

Sorry about the length. I tend to be a little longwinded at times when trying to explain my thoughts.
That length is not the problem, really. It’s just that it’s not the answer to the question asked in the thread.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS Ford, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Hereís something that grosses me out. We all know that public toilets and floors are gross with unmentionable bacteria on them. Why is it that many drop trou when they sit on the throne and let their pants rest against the front of the toilet or on the floor. Then those pants are pulled up and all that bacteria gets transported to your car seat, dining room chairs or that nice big Lazy Boy recliner.

Iím really attuned to this as Im helping potty train our grandson and it never fails that he needs to go while away from home.
Sometimes I wonder why they don't just construct public toilets like they do in some third world countries. Just a hole in the floor and a places alongside to put your feet. To flush, a faucet on the wall with a short hose attached.

Most highway rest areas I've been in have more urine on the floor than probably went in toilet or urinal. Now, when I pull into a rest area I just use my own restroom I've been towing down the road for miles. I keep it nice and clean.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.