Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
Salty Senior

Living Well

Hopefully FR will build my No Bo 19.5 soon so we can break it in “WINTER” camping in the Everglades and FL keys.
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
D W

Here in AK they're already cancelling events scheduled for next year:

1. Fur Rondy 2021 -CXL'D

2. Running of the Reindeer - CXL'D

They will most likely cancel the Iditarod and Yukon Quest races as well.

Nothing left to do, but self-recreate. Alaskans are not going to "hunker down".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Here in AK they're already cancelling events scheduled for next year:

1. Fur Rondy 2021 -CXL'D

2. Running of the Reindeer - CXL'D

They will most likely cancel the Iditarod and Yukon Quest races as well.

Nothing left to do, but self-recreate. Alaskans are not going to "hunker down".
Arctic Man may be on the list of cancelled events too if the virus hangs around into 2021. I do wonder though how a Virus could survive all the alcohol consumed at this event. Isn't Alcohol a "sanitizer"?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
Hopefully FR will build my No Bo 19.5 soon so we can break it in “WINTER” camping in the Everglades and FL keys.
Capn. Gene
Good luck on your no bo , I had assumed the glades and the keys would be full of snowbirds. Is that not so. Went to Keys in September and plenty of spots, but learned it’s still damn hot in September .
Canoso1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We have a semi-annual Rally to go to in Elkhart this year, then on to Ohio after. No not at all, FULL STOP. We are from Canada. The acceptance of science is overshadowed by politics. The COVID virus is here and needs public to take this seriously and stay apart. We are not seeing family and two grandchildren this Christmas. We travelled last summer in our home Province and stayed self contained and stayed safe. I would agree Ernest 917 that time to hunker down is now. Stay safe! If you truly want to see your family stay away. Second wave is underway in Canada now and we are going into lockdowns again. Travel here and in 2021 is restricted.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Farm View Post
I have had 2 flu shots in my life and I got the flu both time and they were the only times I have had the flu. I don't like the idea of giving me a low dose of something to keep me from getting it later. I have no proof or science either way. Just my experience of what happened to me.
Here's the official word on flu vaccines

Quote:
The flu shot is made from dead viruses and cannot "give" you the flu. However, the vaccine can trigger an immune response from your body, so you may have a few mild symptoms, like achy muscles or a low-grade fever. The nasal flu vaccine, FluMist, is made with a weakened live flu virus.
If you got the "up the schnoz" version--------maybe.

Given that the flu vaccines are still based on a guess of which variant will be the one dominant in any given flu season, if one gets the flu after a flu shot it wasn't from the vaccine but rather from a variant that the vaccine wasn't "tailored" for.

Being a "Senior Citizen" I get the vaccine that targets 4 different strains. More of a shotgun than rifle shot.

Another possibility stated on most medical sites is that the individual who got the flu after a vaccine was that they'd already been exposed prior or before the vaccine established immunity.

Again according to medical info sites, Influenza is a respiratory illness that can cause breathing issues, fever, muscle aches, etc. If one has all these AND diarrhea chances are they've contracted more of a food born illness as diarrhea is rarely a symptom of flu.

From Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
Usually self-diagnosable
Symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches, and fatigue.

People may experience:
Pain areas: in the muscles
Cough: can be dry or with phlegm
Whole body: chills, dehydration, fatigue, fever, flushing, loss of appetite, body ache, or sweating
Nasal: congestion, runny nose, or sneezing
Also common: chest pressure, head congestion, headache, nausea, shortness of breath, sore throat, or swollen lymph nodes

Old 11-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Here's the official word on flu vaccines

If you got the "up the schnoz" version--------maybe.

Given that the flu vaccines are still based on a guess of which variant will be the one dominant in any given flu season, if one gets the flu after a flu shot it wasn't from the vaccine but rather from a variant that the vaccine wasn't "tailored" for.

Being a "Senior Citizen" I get the vaccine that targets 4 different strains. More of a shotgun than rifle shot.

Another possibility stated on most medical sites is that the individual who got the flu after a vaccine was that they'd already been exposed prior or before the vaccine established immunity.

Again according to medical info sites, Influenza is a respiratory illness that can cause breathing issues, fever, muscle aches, etc. If one has all these AND diarrhea chances are they've contracted more of a food born illness as diarrhea is rarely a symptom of flu.

From Mayo Clinic:
Yes, this is why the flu vaccine is about 60% effective at best. Some of the Covid vaccines are expected to be over 90%.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We have a semi-annual Rally to go to in Elkhart this year, then on to Ohio after. No not at all, FULL STOP. We are from Canada. The acceptance of science is overshadowed by politics. The COVID virus is here and needs public to take this seriously and stay apart. We are not seeing family and two grandchildren this Christmas. We travelled last summer in our home Province and stayed self contained and stayed safe. I would agree Ernest 917 that time to hunker down is now. Stay safe! If you truly want to see your family stay away. Second wave is underway in Canada now and we are going into lockdowns again. Travel here and in 2021 is restricted.
X2 and in lockdown in Toronto. Hopefully people here will comply. The reason we are in lockdown now is because some chose not to comply over the summer andmore specifically into the fall when people moved indoors. Fortunately, we took a seasonal spot this past September with the expectation that getting campsites next year will be difficult.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaFog View Post
With the number of politicians in this country, it may be a long long line before I get my dose of the vaccine. That notwithstanding, I plan on doing some winter camping in the the colorado rockies - Don't think I'll see big crowds.

Where is that? Is it forest service land? Nice view.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #30

Fish and Farm....

As they say “you ain’t seen nothing yet!!!”

And that’s as political as I’ll get on this thread....

Thank you very much!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:50 AM   #31

speaking of shots ...

It never ceases to amaze (and sometimes amuse) me how quickly ANY forum can get off topic.

"I'm having a problem with the brakes on my XX brand truck".

"I bought a YY truck - I've never had a problem with my brakes"

Forget the fact the the OP might not have the brakes adjusted right on the trailer ... or that the trailer brakes might be worn out putting too much strain on the tow vehicle's braking system.

(sorry - I got off my own topic)

SHOTS?

I'll do one (or two) line 'em up!!!

Fireball, Red Stag, Cuervo?

Count me in!!!
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #32

If your thinking of a place in the south for winter then consider Lake End Park in Morgan City, Louisiana. It was a FEMA park built for hurricane Katrina. The full time section has hundreds of spots. Full hook ups only $450 a month. Right in the lake. If you go to their website and they are full, they say they will open up a spot for you. There are hundreds of spots not being used and can be open as needed. Been here for 2 months and leaving mid Jan to go back on the road.
cobaltpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
All Around Hoser

@PatrickY - Cuervo?! Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Patron. Get it at Costco. If the price at Costco is still too rich for you, buy a bottle of Herradura.

@Accountingphd - Pike and San Isabel National Forest, Twin Lakes Colorado.

@FluVaccine - According to WebMD, the flu vaccine averages 40% efficacy. Interestingly, it has a lot to do with your age!

@ernest917 - You were right, our Costco is out of TP This woman apparently got the last of it, and the Corona!

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #34

We were hoping for a lock down (with no illness). Instead we have had to be out more, drive more, be out more than normal. The DW and I have not had the illness but ........

May think we are crazy but we have been several times to Mytle Beach camping to get away from people. No complete lock down anywhere we have been yet, execpt a partial back in April. (A few business yes but complete not so much).

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We were hoping for a lock down (with no illness). Instead we have had to be out more, drive more, be out more than normal. The DW and I have not had the illness but ........

May think we are crazy but we have been several times to Mytle Beach camping to get away from people. No complete lock down anywhere we have been yet, execpt a partial back in April. (A few business yes but complete not so much).

Just wondering how much "Virus" would survive if there was a total lockdown for a month. Those with the virus would have it run it's course. Those without wouldn't contract it. You'd thing the "bug" would just burn itself out and go away.

I know that's not totally possible for obvious reasons but somehow the idea of a million people per day getting on airplanes and going to Thanksgiving celebrations doesn't make a ton of sense.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountingphd View Post
Where is that? Is it forest service land? Nice view.
(Edit): I see OP already id'd the location. The designated campgrounds have some really beautiful sites - and some are kept on first come/first serve. Designated sites offer picnic table, fire ring (sometimes usable depending on fire danger level), and water somewhere in the campground. (End Edit)

Looks like Twin Lakes to me. The Forest Service Campgrounds closed in Sept in almost all locations in Colorado, and won't reopen until late May. I suspect that is a disbursed camping (boondocking) location or possibly private land just outside. The Forest Service campgrounds at Twin Lakes are closer to the lakes.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #37

Travel? What's that?
I'm hoping to just get away for a few days this coming week as I need a break from work.

As a RN working in a hospital, I have logged 135 hours in the past two weeks. I think I worked 13 of the 14, sometimes going to work twice in the same 24 hour period. Our ER and ICU are packed. I work in Labor & Delivery and we are seeing the first wave of "COVID babies" as 40 weeks of this is upon us. We are incredibly short staffed as OB nurses in my area are in high demand and short supply. Why couldn't they have simply cleaned garages and organized closets like the rest of us?
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4 x 4
2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4 x 4
LizzyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #38

LizzyRN.....

Praise God for you lady!!!! You have my sincere admiration and thanks!!!

I pray the time will soon come when YOU are finally able to travel/camp just like those “good old days” before all this stuff reared it’s ugly head!!!

Again - thank you for risking it all every single day.... Bless you!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

Same here - Ontario, Canada based and had plans to Winter in Texas/Arizona this year but that went out of the window early in 2020. We figure the travel options in 2021 will still be pretty limited, and the idea of crossing the border isn’t feeling good anyway.

So we have made the decision for 2021 to stay put and have found ourselves a seasonal site at a local camp that we have visited as transients often and really enjoy. Our thought is probably to use just that for the next couple of seasons and see how things go.

Hopefully safe travel will open up sooner rather than later (maybe with the help of the vaccine) - but for now, better safe than sorry.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladivar View Post
Hopefully safe travel will open up sooner rather than later (maybe with the help of the vaccine) - but for now, better safe than sorry.
Based on recent comments from those in charge of seeing the vaccine(s) deployed, it may be mid 2021 or later before the general population receives them in any quantity.

First the medical staff in contact with Covid patients, first responders, high risk residents of long term care facilities, elderly, and so in down the line.

Millions of doses will be available soon but those to be vaccinated will number in the hundreds of millions. Billions if you count the world population.

I'm thinking that this pandemic will be a two year event like the influenza epidemic of the earlier 20th Century.