Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 01:24 AM   #1

Hunker Down Time??

We all thought travel this past Summer was going to be difficult and surprisingly it was a lot easier than we thought ....

I worked as a tour guide at The Crazy Horse Memorial in Custer, SD and we were blown away by the size of visitor crowds daily... Packed out!!!

Summer 2021, I’m afraid is going to be totally different.... Hopefully I’m 100% wrong but I worry that I won’t be...

I expect our country to go into a big-time lockdown which will affect EVERYTHING!!! Travel will most likely suffer tremendously as well as everything else in our country...

All of us full-timers really need to be in place, a place that won’t close and make us leave like COE, BLM and NFCG all did this year....

Find a CG and hunker down because it’s not going to be pretty... We move into our CG December 1st and plan to stay there as long as it takes...

Get your TP, water and such because it’ll all be go quickly - again!!!!

Don’t get me wrong - I hope I’m totally wrong but politics aside, everything I’m seeing and reading is definitely pointing in this direction...

On the bright side maybe things will start to smooth out and the summer will not be bad at all...

Two pharmaceutical companies have just this week said they are ready to provide vaccines against this damn virus so there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.... I hope us old folks get moved up towards the front of the line behind all the glorious first-responders and medical staff... (May God bless and protect them all)

I’d love to hit the road early Spring and report to my new summer job (don’t know where yet) and I pray that’s what we’ll all get to do..

I pray for all of us that have selected this lifestyle and ask God to protect us and all our loved ones and I ask you to do the same for me and mine....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

I wish I paid better attention on your other thread about your travels then I might have known you were at Crazy Horse, we were there twice during our stay in South Dakota, it would have been great to meet you. We did go inside the building and even ate at the sit down restaurant which was spaced out very well. We even watched the movie and saw they did a great job cleaning after each show.
I will agree that travel seemed easy this year except for some campgrounds being crowded, it did take a little extra work finding a spot in SD for the length we wanted but everywhere else we went seemed pretty good.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

There won't be a national lockdown, some localized shutdowns will happen.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #4

It's my belief that once the vaccine(s) are deployed, even if only to small segments of the community initially, it will create "firebreaks" in the spread and slow it down.

When a vaccine is showing early results of being 90-95% effective that's pretty impressive. The Flu vaccine has been more like 50% effective by many reports.

If early reports are correct the Covid-19 vaccine(s) may be as effective as the Polio vaccine which is supposed to be 99-100% effective after three doses.

[sarcasm on] Maybe we can sell the vaccine to China to make up for some of the economic losses incurred [/sarcasm off]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

There are TWO questions that need to be answered before we should accept a vaccine.

Is it efficacious? At 90-95%, the answer is, “Very!” However, with all the numerical gamesmanship going on, I’d require lots of independent verification of these rates.

Is it safe? That CAN’T be known until large numbers of people have taken the vaccine and large amounts of time have passed. I expect to see a lot of ads for the various vaccines—followed, in a year or two, by the lawyer ads: “Were you, or someone you know, killed or injured by the Xxxx vaccine?”

Nope. Not taking any vaccine. I’ve had COVID and have the antibodies.

The only time in my life I ever got the flu was after taking the vaccine. I haven’t taken a flu vaccine in 25 years and never had the flu in that entire time.

I advise everyone to do their own detriment/benefit analysis with any vaccine and then make their own decision.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
There are TWO questions that need to be answered before we should accept a vaccine.

Is it efficacious? At 90-95%, the answer is, “Very!” However, with all the numerical gamesmanship going on, I’d require lots of independent verification of these rates.

Is it safe? That CAN’T be known until large numbers of people have taken the vaccine and large amounts of time have passed. I expect to see a lot of ads for the various vaccines—followed, in a year or two, by the lawyer ads: “Were you, or someone you know, killed or injured by the Xxxx vaccine?”

Nope. Not taking any vaccine. I’ve had COVID and have the antibodies.

The only time in my life I ever got the flu was after taking the vaccine. I haven’t taken a flu vaccine in 25 years and never had the flu in that entire time.

I advise everyone to do their own detriment/benefit analysis with any vaccine and then make their own decision.
X2. I have never had a flu shot and won't take a covid one either.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
That's the spirit...... Reminds me of the saying concerning a nose and face..... Everyone can make their own choice, but sometimes your choices affect others.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #8

Polio, small pox, measles pretty much eradicated through the use of vaccines. Hmmm? Go figure!!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That's the spirit...... Reminds me of the saying concerning a nose and face..... Everyone can make their own choice, but sometimes your choices affect others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Polio, small pox, measles pretty much eradicated through the use of vaccines. Hmmm? Go figure!!
X2

There's no doubt everyone has to make the choice right for them but simply being bullheaded isn't making an educated choice. Science and history has proven vaccines help.

Do people live/survive that don't get vaccinated?... sure but thousands more do because they got vaccinated.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #10

I'm sure science will prevail when vaccines are released, not BS.

A couple of these vaccines have been undergoing human trials, limited of course, but the research I'm sure is more scientifically sound than what goes into most "supplements" sold on TV. People seem to gobble them by the bucketfull but say no way to vaccines. Strange.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Summer 2021, I’m afraid is going to be totally different.... Hopefully I’m 100% wrong but I worry that I won’t be...
I expect our country to go into a big-time lockdown which will affect EVERYTHING!!! Travel will most likely suffer tremendously as well as everything else in our country...
Find a CG and hunker down because it’s not going to be pretty...
I don't know about the summer, but they've already cancelled Mardi Gras in New Orleans for Spring 2021.
Getting a full time site for full timers in 2021 is probably a good idea. Nice to have a 'home base' in case all the parks shut down. As hospitals fill up and health care workers get sick, this is not going to be pleasant. Having a place to isolate is a good idea.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #12

EXCUSE ME!!!!

This wasn’t intended as a forum on the vaccine... Start your own for that discussion....

This was intended to be a discussion on 2021 travel issues, places to stay if things go downhill and the such...

I’d like to have input in that direction please.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
We all thought travel this past Summer was going to be difficult and surprisingly it was a lot easier than we thought ....

I worked as a tour guide at The Crazy Horse Memorial in Custer, SD and we were blown away by the size of visitor crowds daily... Packed out!!!

All of us full-timers really need to be in place, a place that won’t close and make us leave like COE, BLM and NFCG all did this year....

Find a CG and hunker down because it’s not going to be pretty... We move into our CG December 1st and plan to stay there as long as it takes...

Get your TP, water and such because it’ll all be go quickly - again!!!!

Don’t get me wrong - I hope I’m totally wrong but politics aside, everything I’m seeing and reading is definitely pointing in this direction...

On the bright side maybe things will start to smooth out and the summer will not be bad at all...

Two pharmaceutical companies have just this week said they are ready to provide vaccines against this damn virus so there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.... I hope us old folks get moved up towards the front of the line behind all the glorious first-responders and medical staff... (May God bless and protect them all)

I’d love to hit the road early Spring and report to my new summer job (don’t know where yet) and I pray that’s what we’ll all get to do..

I pray for all of us that have selected this lifestyle and ask God to protect us and all our loved ones and I ask you to do the same for me and mine....
Quote:
EXCUSE ME!!!!

This wasn’t intended as a forum on the vaccine... Start your own for that discussion....

This was intended to be a discussion on 2021 travel issues, places to stay if things go downhill and the such...

LOL..You brought the vaccine up in your OP... but now we know that the vaccine topic is off limits.

I think if you 70 or older you need to self quarantine. We are. We just discussed how we got C-19 fatigue and became a little lax and need to be more aware of social distancing going forward.
The rest of society needs to soldier on but I agree they should use C-19 guidelines and get a vaccine when available.

Just me, but at 70 I would not have been a tour guide anywhere this year.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
EXCUSE ME!!!!

What area of the Country are you looking for and when do you want to be in your "permanent" location? AZ would be great for the winter, there should be openings as the northern border is still closed. But personally, I would not want to be south of Flagstaff after May.

I would think you need two places where you can get some decent weather in the winter and then gain some latitude and altitude for the summer. I am having a tough time thinking of a place that I would want to be year round.

We do Casa Grande, AZ starting late Sept. and then head home to Montana the end of April. The SD guv seems to like personal freedom and responsibility - that could be a good summer choice also.

I personally don't believe we will have a massive nationwide lockdown. Some blue States may try. The people won't stand for another "stay home for two weeks to flatten the curve" while killing the economy. The gov't can only do so much and they have used their ammo already.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #15

Amazon is already selling out of toilet paper.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
Salty Senior

Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Thanks...If your tribes decline, maybe a dose will be left over for us octogenarians.
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #17

If the lock-down continues into next year, after the vaccine is available, hopefully those that take the vaccine will be exempt from the lock downs.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
Thanks...If your tribes decline, maybe a dose will be left over for us octogenarians.
Yep, at my age, if I get it I have over a 99% chance of recovery. We had 1 positive where I work, he spent 2 weeks at home and the rest of us tested negative. Same with where my wife works, 1 sick, everyone else negative.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #19
All Around Hoser

With the number of politicians in this country, it may be a long long line before I get my dose of the vaccine. That notwithstanding, I plan on doing some winter camping in the the colorado rockies - Don't think I'll see big crowds.

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
...they've already cancelled Mardi Gras in New Orleans for Spring 2021....
Well, just all the parades as of now. Of course, they're a huge part of Mardi Gras, so...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote