Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
The Driver

I Will Suspend My Recreational Travel

I have cancelled my April reservation at a federal park.

I thought about all of the people I would have contact with on the trip. Many who would have no choice but to have contact with me. That did not seem like the right thing to do just so I could have some recreational time.

We will save the time and money for a better time. When risks have abated.

I wish you well.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

We are hoping that the BLM doesn't close down the dispersed camping areas.
We are heading out on Monday for a little two weeks of boon docking and playing with our Polaris RZR, now there is real disease.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
I have cancelled my April reservation at a federal park.

I thought about all of the people I would have contact with on the trip. Many who would have no choice but to have contact with me. That did not seem like the right thing to do just so I could have some recreational time.

We will save the time and money for a better time. When risks have abated.

I wish you well.
Excellent Choice! Respect Health Authorities . We too are under lockdown.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

I'm sure that the OP has made a good choice for their circumstances and destination.

Out West where I camp I'm trying to think of the last time I really had to interact with others because I needed to.

I carry plenty of food, often more than I need. Gas? Self Service except when passing through Oregon and now I'd just put on a pair of nitrile gloves I carry all the time for any task that might get my hands messy (including grease).

We're fortunate in WA State with 0ver 16 million acres of public land, a lot of which is accessible by not so bad roads.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #5

Not a bad idea.

Where we camp in a huge campground (3300 total sites) we can go and never come within 6 or more feet of anyone.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

Now is a great time to take out the RV. Just stay from people. Forget about parks and campgrounds.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

PoppySteve, thank you for thinking of others and making the right choice.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Now is a great time to take out the RV. Just stay from people. Forget about parks and campgrounds.
Your suggestion doesn’t work for people East of the Mississippi.

There just isn’t the expansive areas you’re suggesting to boondock.

Walmart parking lots just doesn’t cut it.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #9

Unfortunately in Illinois, all State parks including campgrounds are closed until further notice. Shelter in place just took effect at 5:00 pm CST.
Would love to work on the TT but still expecting snow tomorrow and it's stored outside.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #10

Its not the distance between people that is the problem, its the shared restrooms. Any place without sewer hookup will have someone using restrooms.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Its not the distance between people that is the problem, its the shared restrooms. Any place without sewer hookup will have someone using restrooms.
Out West on areas called BLM......it’s dry camping or boondocking.
Whatever you call it, it’s being totally self sufficient and not relying on water supplied other than your holding tanks, containing your own waste waters, and generating your own electricity, be it solar or with a generator. There are no shared washrooms to consider.
Out West, there is also way more real estate per person, to the point that it isn’t difficult to find places where it’s uncommon to see or bump into another human.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Your suggestion doesn’t work for people East of the Mississippi.

There just isn’t the expansive areas you’re suggesting to boondock.

Walmart parking lots just doesn’t cut it.
Yup. I’d love to try boondocking but there’s not much place to do it in Ontario with a larger RV. Up here there is a huge amount of crown land but its not setup to allow the public to boondock. All Provincial Parks are closed until April 30, 2020. The other issue is that in the east most of the land is forested so you can’t rely on solar like you can in the desert BLM land in the western US. That means having a supply of fuel for a generator and refilling regularly.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Out West on areas called BLM......it’s dry camping or boondocking.
Whatever you call it, it’s being totally self sufficient and not relying on water supplied other than your holding tanks, containing your own waste waters, and generating your own electricity, be it solar or with a generator. There are no shared washrooms to consider.
Out West, there is also way more real estate per person, to the point that it isn’t difficult to find places where it’s uncommon to see or bump into another human.

on Right coast we have national park campgrounds. they also also don't have water/sewer/electric (but usually have a place to dump and refill close) but they all have rest rooms / shower houses
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Tom Stauffer

Cancellation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Excellent Choice! Respect Health Authorities . We too are under lockdown.
We just received an email cancelling our July reservation for an Army Corps campground in VT. The private campground that we are reserved is planning to open pending State of VT regulations. We are holding off and will wait and see. Acadia NP in June might be a goner for us.
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #15

Cancel

We, too, canceled our trip to Gulf Shores; we were supposed to leave yesterday...too many "ifs"...
Thankfully the rv parks were understanding and waived any cancellation hickeys. Be safe and well, y'all.
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #16

wow proactive park cancellations into July...

i did get an email 2 days ago from Normandy Farms indicating they are still planning to open April 1 - i thought that was pushing it, but i expected May would be the outset of park closures...

We’re still planning to open April 1st and will be updating our website and social media with any new developments regarding the Coronavirus. Just a reminder, on Sunday, March 22nd, we begin taking reservations for 2021 (yes, that’s right – 2021).
Please note that online reservations will begin at 8am and we will be available by phone at 9am. Do to the 25 person limit, the Reception Center will not be open so reservations will need to be made online or over the phone.
Due to the heavy volume of calls on this day, we do anticipate longer hold times. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience and encourage you to make your reservations online.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
Lifesylers

Sooner or later, boondockers do need to take on water and dump those holding tanks which means of course going somewhere with dump station, I least I hope all do although I have no doubt some move slightly during darkness and do the dump and before all jump me you know this to be true of some. Just hope your not one of them. Phewwwwww
Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig and Carol View Post
We, too, canceled our trip to Gulf Shores; we were supposedtoleave yesterday...too many "ifs"...
Thankfully the rv parks were understanding and waived any cancellation hickeys. Be safe and well, y'all.
Since there are only 3 cases in Baldwin County for the past 2 weeks, you would have been fine coming down. We ha ve been here since Thanksgiving and unsure if we can even drive home to Jersey or want too. There are over a couple hundred cases in Jersey compared to here!
Old 03-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #19

"There" wasn't the issue...getting "there" was: too many unknowns. And "what ifs..."
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestylers View Post
Sooner or later, boondockers do need to take on water and dump those holding tanks which means of course going somewhere with dump station, I least I hope all do although I have no doubt some move slightly during darkness and do the dump and before all jump me you know this to be true of some. Just hope your not one of them. Phewwwwww
That IMO is why many dry camping type CG's are closing. With social distancing applying to all, the CG hosts are probably told to leave and that leaves no one to babysit the public.
The last Gov shutdown showed what could happen. National Parks were left open and unmanaged and people took advantage of it and ruined it for others.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel