Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Site Team

Innovative Ideas For RVers - Covid-19

I'm thinking that taking my camper traveling sounds like a better bet than hotels and restaurants but have also been mulling over using it self-quarantine if needed.

Has anyone considered using their RV as a tool for managing travel or contagion concerns?
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

I prefer to travel with the trailer. Then I'm home no matter where I go. It's more expensive and slower but that's ok. I know I won't bring roaches or bed bugs home with me.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

We have never hesitated to use bathrooms at rest areas, but now we think we will just use our own facilities when we stop. I'm sure many rv'ers already did that before this current situation.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I prefer to travel with the trailer. Then I'm home no matter where I go. It's more expensive and slower but that's ok. I know I won't bring roaches or bed bugs home with me.
No just stink bugs...[emoji6]

This is exactly why we got our trailer. DW has a huge fobia and bed bugs is one of them.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Has anyone considered using their RV as a tool for managing travel or contagion concerns?
For traveling, it depends on your time constraints. We're retired, so we can take several days or weeks to get to our destination. We love traveling with our house and not having to unpack and carry luggage.
Our daughter has limited time to travel because she's still working, so an rv doesn't work for her. She travels by car or airplane to her destination.
For contagion concerns, we've thought about it, but you've got to find a place to camp and self isolating in an rv doesn't really appeal to us. At home we've got a big refrigerator and panty so that means less trips to the grocery store and less contact with people. The rv has limited food storage and cooking options... not to mention less room for exercise.
We do use it as a option to evacuate in case of hurricanes.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I haven’t heard anyone ask what I think are the most important questions— “once you are past Covid19, are you immune”? If you are immune, can you still spread it? We always travel in our 5er because we want to take our dog and my admiral likes to sleep in her own bed. We've adopted the "no plan-plan". We may be in our seventies, but no pulmonary problems, or underlying anything, so we don't plan to change our lifestyle. You have to think positive--if Covid19 kills off everyone over 65, then Medicare won't run out of money, ever!
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

Unanswered questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
I haven’t heard anyone ask what I think are the most important questions— “once you are past Covid19, are you immune”? If you are immune, can you still spread it? We always travel in our 5er because we want to take our dog and my admiral likes to sleep in her own bed. We've adopted the "no plan-plan". We may be in our seventies, but no pulmonary problems, or underlying anything, so we don't plan to change our lifestyle. You have to think positive--if Covid19 kills off everyone over 65, then Medicare won't run out of money, ever!
There are a number of still-unanswered questions. One I'm watching for is "How long can the virus survive on inorganic surfaces?" If somebody uses a doorknob last week, could it still be contagious? Yesterday? An hour ago?

AIDS, for example, is pretty scary, but the virus can only survive 5-10 minutes on inorganic surfaces. Otherwise it would be far worse.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #8

Have visited our Coast Guard son and his family for the past twelve years in New Orleans, Sturgeon Bay and the last two in Key West Florida and have used the fifth wheel every time. Cost more in fuel to get there and back but much cheaper then a motel room. Nice to have our home a way from home with us.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I lived through SARS, was not hit but many I work with where. If it gets to that point we will community isolate as a campground up north. In fact yesterday we opened up the fifth wheel and did a once over. Fixed a couple things and we are ready. Snow melted here today with a large rain storm.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

The seasonal flu is still a MUCH greater risk. It kills 20,000 per year, or more, in US alone. It is much harder on kids.

One silver lining of the Corona panic is that the actions to prevent its spread will also affect flu spread. It is already happening a little but in a couple weeks we can expect more effect.

And then there is the selfish impact for RVers. National Park crowds will be way down. Made a reservation yesterday for Grand Canyon tomorrow. Usually need to be six months ahead.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There are a number of still-unanswered questions. One I'm watching for is "How long can the virus survive on inorganic surfaces?" If somebody uses a doorknob last week, could it still be contagious? Yesterday? An hour ago?

AIDS, for example, is pretty scary, but the virus can only survive 5-10 minutes on inorganic surfaces. Otherwise it would be far worse.
There is a little data already. It survives a few hours at most. But unless you lick the surface or suck on your fingers or other parts you aren’t likely to catch it that way.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I'm thinking that taking my camper traveling sounds like a better bet than hotels and restaurants but have also been mulling over using it self-quarantine if needed.

There is one thing I have noticed is no one I know and no one they know, friends or family that is sick with the Covid-19. The news and government is reporting it like everyone is going to contract it and maybe in some areas there are a lot of people with it. Does anyone personally know of someone that has it?
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #13

We've discussed using the RV which is already parked in the back yard for isolation if needed. We are both in the high risk category (64/69 with Asthma/Diabetes) so if one were to be infected it would be best to isolate from each other.
I am working as a 2020 Census worker and tomorrow I will start canvassing, so I probably have more chance of bringing something into our environment.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
There is a little data already. It survives a few hours at most. But unless you lick the surface or suck on your fingers or other parts you aren’t likely to catch it that way.
Actually the medical community says that it can live on surfaces anywhere from a few hours to nine days depending on the type of surface.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
From what I've been reading about the influenza and coronavirus it mutates as it passes from host to host. Not drastically but one or two "genes" at a time.

This is why there are different strains of each and why even though we have an influenza virus vaccine, it only has varying levels of success with each season.

Apparently the experts feel that once one has recovered from the current Covid19 infection they are no longer contagious or they wouldn't be releasing the recovered patients back into sockety. As for the immunity issues? I doubt anyone knows enough yet to even venture a guess. The fact that the scientific community itself doesn't have answers is the reason for so much concern. They're still learning from what has happened so they can't yet predict what will happen.

As for using the RV to avoid possible contamination from hotels, to me it makes a lot of sense. It's an environment that YOU can control unlike a hotel where you often end up sharing germs from whoever used the room last ----------no matter how well it's cleaned (unless fumigated and UV sterilized).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #16

I know no one either. Millions probably do and won't have any symptoms. I have had the flu once in my 44 years as an adult, 32 years ago when I was 30. I'm sure I have been exposed every year but it just doesn't take I guess, and I have never had a flu shot.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post

The newest study said the virus can survive 2-3 days on hard surfaces such as plastic or stainless steel.