Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Into the belly of the beast

Looking for some positive thoughts on things we may not have thought of to protect others and ourselves.

We are fortunate to live in the country and in a State that has relatively low coronavirus cases. We are of susceptible ages and have been staying at home except for infrequent shopping ( we are always good on TP). But next week we need to travel 450 miles into a large city that has relatively more cases. We won’t interface with people on our trip, will bring all our food and water, will only use RV toilet, and will only need one gas stop which we will do well away from the epicenter. We normally just use exits vs. rest stops anyway so our pooch can run a little.

I will wear latex gloves and a dust mask for the hour or so I need to interface with a couple of people. We will spend the night in the business’ parking lot not interfacing with anyone, and then head back to our sanctuary. ( Epicenter because we were rattled by a for real 6.5 earthquake last week...which the national media didn’t see worthy of coverage.)

Sort of. Thinking about spending a few days in a relatively untravelled part of our State on the way back (Hells Canyon). The Idaho Power CGs are closed but there are some BLM camping areas and other dispersed camping spots we can use. Again, no interface with people. But maybe others have the same idea as kids are home and families have been forced out of our abundant National Forest campgrounds (some of which are normally closed this time of year). Because of that there is a chance it will be more crowded than usual in which case we won’t stay. We are blessed with much public land we can use with no neighbors.

Anything we missed?

(Please don’t destroy my thread with advice not to go. Its happening.)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
I will wear latex gloves and a dust mask for the hour or so I need to interface with a couple of people.
You'll be most vulnerable when you 'interface' with a couple of people. (What does 'interface' mean?) A dust mask isn't going to prevent transmission. You already know to wash your hands and practice social distancing.

If it were me, I'd travel alone and self quaranteen in my rig when I got back. I'd risk myself, but not anyone else.

I know... not what you asked.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You'll be most vulnerable when you 'interface' with a couple of people. (What does 'interface' mean?) A dust mask isn't going to prevent transmission. You already know to wash your hands and practice social distancing.

If it were me, I'd travel alone and self quaranteen in my rig when I got back. I'd risk myself, but not anyone else.

I know... not what you asked.
Actually the dust mask does reduce the transmission...from me. I know it doesn’t protect me from them. Will likely need to get close to two or three of them to sign some papers and have them help me load up.

Oh, I’m bringing some alcohol for the places others may have touched what I’m getting.

No chance the DW would let me go without her. Or the pooch.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Wow! Hells Canyon. One of my favorite places in the world. The Snake River, Cutthroat trout, Rainbow trout, black bear, badgers and rattlesnakes.

Who could ask for more? I love that place.

Bruce
Old 04-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Looking for some positive thoughts on things we may not have thought of to protect others and ourselves.

We are fortunate to live in the country and in a State that has relatively low coronavirus cases. We are of susceptible ages and have been staying at home except for infrequent shopping ( we are always good on TP). But next week we need to travel 450 miles into a large city that has relatively more cases. We won’t interface with people on our trip, will bring all our food and water, will only use RV toilet, and will only need one gas stop which we will do well away from the epicenter. We normally just use exits vs. rest stops anyway so our pooch can run a little.

I will wear latex gloves and a dust mask for the hour or so I need to interface with a couple of people. We will spend the night in the business’ parking lot not interfacing with anyone, and then head back to our sanctuary. ( Epicenter because we were rattled by a for real 6.5 earthquake last week...which the national media didn’t see worthy of coverage.)

Sort of. Thinking about spending a few days in a relatively untravelled part of our State on the way back (Hells Canyon). The Idaho Power CGs are closed but there are some BLM camping areas and other dispersed camping spots we can use. Again, no interface with people. But maybe others have the same idea as kids are home and families have been forced out of our abundant National Forest campgrounds (some of which are normally closed this time of year). Because of that there is a chance it will be more crowded than usual in which case we won’t stay. We are blessed with much public land we can use with no neighbors.

Anything we missed?

IMHO I think you've missed a whole lot. You seem to be dead set on going. Go ahead, roll the dice. Just make sure that when you start your excursion to ask yourself a couple times a day:

"DO I FEEL LUCKY?"
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 04-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #6

Sounds like you are taking the proper precautions.

Sometimes business transactions need to be conducted.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 04-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Wow! Hells Canyon. One of my favorite places in the world. The Snake River, Cutthroat trout, Rainbow trout, black bear, badgers and rattlesnakes.

Who could ask for more? I love that place.

Bruce
Bass and Crappie fishing are best in the lakes. And probably perch and bluegill. Sturgeon and Steelhead below Hells Canyon Dam.

Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goat, deer and elk are most commonly seen large critters.

Although Idaho Power has closed their CGs last I saw they left the boat ramps open. I’m not taking the boat this time but will do some bank fishing.

I need to get home for Easter but if not crowded might go back again after Easter. Abt 3 hr drive from where I live.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
IMHO I think you've missed a whole lot. You seem to be dead set on going. Go ahead, roll the dice. Just make sure that when you start your excursion to ask yourself a couple times a day:

"DO I FEEL LUCKY?"
This is the kind of useless response I tried to prevent.

I don’t understand these people who can’t understand a simple request in someone else’s thread. Sheesh.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
Señor Member

Quote:
Anything we missed?

If it were me I would make a copy of your Governor's "Stay at Home" proclamation and carry it with me.

On the off chance I get pulled over and have to interface with an Officer of the Law I can point out where it does not apply to me, DW and the pooch.

See, I did not say you should not go....
Old 04-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #10

Maybe I missed it, but what city?

Texas, e.g., is stopping all cars on the interstate. Arresting (quarantine,whatever word) for a two week stint in some jail (designated quarantine area) anyone not in an approved list of travelers.

Might want to see if that's on your route. Might want to see what other states are doing that.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 04-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Texas, e.g., is stopping all cars on the interstate. Arresting (quarantine,whatever word) for a two week stint in some jail (designated quarantine area) anyone not in an approved list of travelers.

Might want to see if that's on your route. Might want to see what other states are doing that.
Where did you read this?

Maybe you misinterpreted this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/2947021001/

Bruce
Old 04-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Where did you read this?

Maybe you misinterpreted this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/2947021001/

Bruce
https://abc7ny.com/dps-checkpoint-co...-bill/6078971/

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 04-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Expect more, especially in States with low infection counts.

Watched a recent news report about an individual who decided to fly to Hawaii even though told not to. Was met by police and advised he needed to self quarantine and where would he be staying. When he told the police he had no reservations and refused to make any when told to, the police said "we have just the place for you" and took him to a jail cell where he could stay for the 14 day quarantine period.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 04-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Watched a recent news report about an individual who decided to fly to Hawaii even though told not to. Was met by police and advised he needed to self quarantine and where would he be staying. When he told the police he had no reservations and refused to make any when told to, the police said "we have just the place for you" and took him to a jail cell where he could stay for the 14 day quarantine period.
We’re bringing our quarantine place with us. And taking it back out of the State the next day.

There does not appear to be any issues regarding what we need to do:

https://traveloregon.com/travel-alerts/
Old 04-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Fortunately Idaho is better than Oregon.

Our problem came from CA with the wealthy escaping to their multimillion dollar estates near Sun Valley. That county has half our cases. I don’t live there.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
If it were me I would make a copy of your Governor's "Stay at Home" proclamation and carry it with me.

On the off chance I get pulled over and have to interface with an Officer of the Law I can point out where it does not apply to me, DW and the pooch.

See, I did not say you should not go....
Thanks for a positive suggestion. In this case I don’t think its an issue.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #17

FYI.....You can sign paperwork electronically these days. Depending on what your loading is where I see the issue. If your buying something from someone have them load it and keep your distance and then watch where they touch items and clean those areas. If it a smaller items can they be shipped? I am a high risker also in Iowa, next to the Peoples Republic of Illinois. I have an essential job, Government job which puts me out in public daily. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer. No mask or gloves. I feel that I am am pretty good shape on the virus.
I think you will be fine, be more careful if you have respiratory issues.
Bucket list Hells Canyon
Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twam911 View Post
FYI.....You can sign paperwork electronically these days. Depending on what your loading is where I see the issue. If your buying something from someone have them load it and keep your distance and then watch where they touch items and clean those areas. If it a smaller items can they be shipped? I am a high risker also in Iowa, next to the Peoples Republic of Illinois. I have an essential job, Government job which puts me out in public daily. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer. No mask or gloves. I feel that I am am pretty good shape on the virus.
I think you will be fine, be more careful if you have respiratory issues.
Bucket list Hells Canyon
Thanks. That is a good idea. I’m pretty sure I can get them to load it: a motorcycle. I have a rack for the trailer hitch to put it on.

They offered an incredible price because they are so hurting. It wouldn’t last long so I needed to snag it. Plus I feel good about helping them out in this terrible time.

Alas the immediate reason I need it might evaporate. Planned to go to AK in June. Have done it before and not keen on fussing with toad at some of the fuel stops. The new RV is too large to be our get around. The last couple times I did this was with a pickup camper which was more compact at fuel stops and I could unload the camper when needed. Unfortunately Canada might not yet be open in June.

No health issues but am 73.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Portland, OR suburb.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks. That is a good idea. I’m pretty sure I can get them to load it: a motorcycle. I have a rack for the trailer hitch to put it on.
Oh... well.... that's certainly worth risking your DW life.