Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

It is Really Very Simple

The virus does not move on it’s own.

People carry the virus.

If we all stay home, the virus will die.

I realize we can’t all stay home all the time, we should be staying home as much as possible as it is the only way to defeat this thing.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

FWIW,
I saw several different reports suggesting the same "ideal" mask for us common folk. Drawn from results in other countries with low infection rates.
Two layers of cotton with a piece of paper towel sandwiched in the middle. Regularly wash the cotton and replace the towel.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

A lot of us get what you say.

I've been home for about 30 days only venturing out to buy groceries and then keeping as much distance as possible.

There are some though who feel that just because the virus hasn't hit their area -------yet------ there's no reason for them to be inconvenienced.

In more authoritarian countries people were forced to stay home and indications are that in one at least, the spread of the virus is being controlled if not beaten back.

Here in this country people are expected to be smart enough to see the benefit of staying home and not traveling.

Apparently some are not living up to that expectation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Well stated. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I've been home for about 30 days only venturing out to buy groceries and then keeping as much distance as possible.

There are some though who feel that just because the virus hasn't hit their area -------yet------ there's no reason for them to be inconvenienced.

In more authoritarian countries people were forced to stay home and indications are that in one at least, the spread of the virus is being controlled if not beaten back.

Here in this country people are expected to be smart enough to see the benefit of staying home and not traveling.

"Stay At Home" looks good on paper, but here in Anchorage, our local T.V. station (KTUU), analyzed "essential services", and found that entails almost 54% of the local work force. It takes that much to keep the infrastructure up and running. As of this morning we're up to 157 confirmed cases statewide, with three deaths. We have yet to hear any government official say the plan is working. All indications this morning is that soon we all might be required to wear "masks" when out and about. There will be a run on ski masks!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 04-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

People carry the virus.

I realize we can’t all stay home all the time, we should be staying home as much as possible as it is the only way to defeat this thing.
My prayers are for those who are treating those who are not staying home or became infected before we knew how infectious this virus is.

I can only speak for my neighborhood (just west of Houston, Texas), but I haven't seen a neighbor in two weeks. I do see people working in their own yards and a few walking or bicycling with one other person.

Teenagers who usually walk to the store in groups, play basketball or just hang out are among the missing. Younger children who ride bikes to friends houses are not there. Mothers walking in groups are gone. The driveways are filled with cars. Grocery curbside pickup times are at least 2 days in advance.

So while there may be people out there ignoring the advice, either I have blinders on or most people are following the stay at home rules.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
"Stay At Home" looks good on paper, but here in Anchorage, our local T.V. station (KTUU), analyzed "essential services", and found that entails almost 54% of the local work force. It takes that much to keep the infrastructure up and running. As of this morning we're up to 157 confirmed cases statewide, with three deaths. We have yet to hear any government official say the plan is working. All indications this morning is that soon we all might be required to wear "masks" when out and about. There will be a run on ski masks!
People that still own sewing machines have the mask situation covered. I'm picking up my Daughter's later today (reverse Amazon porch delivery style) and have a real nice pattern I downloaded for free. Using many common materials available around most households one can make a mask ranging from the low 80% range to low 90%. Better than nothing and coupled with reduced exposure (translated to not traveling and distancing) should reduce ones chance of contracting or spreading the virus.

Who knows, this may even catch on during flu season.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:

X2

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

Here in Delaware we are closed down except essential businesses. Up the street from me a Pawn Shop is allowed to remain open???? Why is that essential?
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Old 04-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Here in Delaware we are closed down except essential businesses. Up the street from me a Pawn Shop is allowed to remain open???? Why is that essential?
Mike
For persons who lost job and are trying to raise money for groceries?????

In the city where I live businesses like this (including banks, Unions, etc., are limiting people in building severely.

My Credit Union requires a "call ahead appointment" and you wait outside until they are finished with person ahead of you.

My local "Take and Bake" pizza shop takes call in orders and you wait outside until they bring it to you.

Places that are more or less essential are taking steps to limit exposure for all.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #11

Because it really is NOT very simple. Nothing about this is.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
For persons who lost job and are trying to raise money for groceries?????

In the city where I live businesses like this (including banks, Unions, etc., are limiting people in building severely.

My Credit Union requires a "call ahead appointment" and you wait outside until they are finished with person ahead of you.

My local "Take and Bake" pizza shop takes call in orders and you wait outside until they bring it to you.

Places that are more or less essential are taking steps to limit exposure for all.
Should get unemployment is lost job. I just find it odd that they let them remain open.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #13

Thumbs up thumbs up

Quote:

People carry the virus.

I agree totally!

I am disappointed as the next guy that we had to cancel our 4 month trip to the western US because of this invisible killer. We need to stay home. Practice social distancing.

Stay home and be safe.

2016 FR Wildcat 327re 5th wheel
2013 Ford F350SD
Old 04-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #14

Protect yourself by protecting others

The OP is right.

Risking your health by unnecessary social contact increases everyone's risk.

We all should do everything we can to protect others, and this protects not only you. It protects the front line medical, police, EMS and other absolutely essential human beings.

Staying home is the best protection for you and others.

If you can't stay home, you can wear a mast to protect others.

Two weeks ago a bus driver complained on social media that a passenger carelessly coughed on him and other passengers. Now he's dead, another victim of COVID-19.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
Multi-Slacker

2 of my granddaughters and daughter have set up an assembly line to make masks for the local hospital. Neighbors all want some so they are selling to the neighbors and using money for material to make more to donate to the hospital. They are coming to our place to do a curbside pickup of my wife's sewing machine. My wife made a pair of masks for us and our 3 sets of neighbors.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #16

Here in my area in Illinois at least, Walmart has started to limit number of shoppers allowed in the store, one way aisles, one entrance and a different exit. Think most other essential big box stores will follow if they haven't done so yet. I have found that I have to wait till midnight to be able to a reserved pickup time for most of the grocery stores in the area. Some have only two days out and some others have seven days out. If I were to try to reserve something in the afternoon nothing would be available. Plan on trying Sam's Club concierge
service for seniors on Tues and Thurs.

Some items are still hard to get like chicken breasts, paper towels, sanitizing items, etc. But we are managing. We have hunkered down and trying to only go out to get groceries from pickup service.

Stay safe.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #17
Shelley

Quote:

People carry the virus.

I work in the academic healthcare system. I am deeply saddened our doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc., who save people’s lives never imagined they would be on the front line of a war fighting an invisible enemy, with no armor.

The impact of this war is devastating. Bless all those healthcare workers who are risking their lives for us.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

I’m in the minority here but how many people died in the flu in the season of 2017 and 2018, 61,000. Every year the regular flu kills 20,000 people and up. If the virus last three months or more our economy is history. We are not China, we have rights here, off hand I can think of one that China does not have the second amendment. If you want to stay home that’s great just don’t blame the people that go out. If I was sick I would stay home, I’m as healthy as a horse, I have no health problems. I go out somewhere every day. Tomorrow I’m eating seafood from a seafood house tomorrow, I’m eating in the parking lot. I went to Walmart this morning and probably a hundred people there or more. Wife has enough toilet paper and paper towels to last 3 months and it’s never enough. The camper is filling up with paper products. I went to a place that sells country ham, brought enough to last three months. I like spending time with granddaughter, I brought her a pink John Deere wagon that I pull her on the highway that runs in front of our house. She likes to be pulled, it seems like she takes every doll she has. She is 4, been to Disney three times, I would take her tomorrow if the Fort was opened
Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Mike

Mike,

I wonder if it's because a Pawn Shop is considered a "financial institution?" If that is so, I'd say that's a real stretch. They should have to follow rules imposed on a bank instead of preying on poorly paid individuals. I always thought it was a crime to see pawn shop upon pawn shop outside of military installations!!

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Old 04-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #20

Made my blood boil

Look at this video and you decide! https://youtu.be/dKmH9PR5VqM
Closed Thread