Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

it's only a mild virus

Many have gotten this mild virus and only felt off for 5 or so days then back to normal.

I have heard this before. I bet the person in the news story did, too, and he/she probably did feel fine after a few days. The other 7 - - not so much.

1 person went to work sick in Douglas County - and 7 people died

https://katu.com/news/local/1-person...-7-people-died
Old 12-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #2

Most people get over the virus. It's the overwhelming numbers of people that have gotten the virus that make this tragic. Overwhelming numbers mean a large death toll.

We have healthcare workers who come into the home several times a week.

They have been told that if they don't get the vaccine when it's offered to them and then they come down with covid19, they won't be paid. Until then if they get covid19, they are paid to stay home.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
Many have gotten this mild virus and only felt off for 5 or so days then back to normal.

I have heard this before. I bet the person in the news story did, too, and he/she probably did feel fine after a few days. The other 7 - - not so much.

1 person went to work sick in Douglas County - and 7 people died

https://katu.com/news/local/1-person...-7-people-died
That story pretty much echoes what we already know about SARS-CoV-2.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #4

My mother died Monday ( 12/21 ) of this crap. I blame China. China killed my Mom!

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
My mother died Monday ( 12/21 ) of this crap. I blame China. China killed my Mom!
As of today, about 329,000 people in the USA have reportedly died from COVID-19. If blaming someone else or some other country helps you grieve, then whatever, but it won’t bring the dead people back or stop more people from dying.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #6

Please stop placing blame for a mess that WE have created. We were warned a long time ago how bad this pandemic was going to get and WE didn't listen. I say WE because this disease doesn't discriminate between those that take precautions and those that don't. Listen to the advice of the medical community and keep our health care folks in your thoughts and prayers. They are angles and they need a break.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #7

Here's what's happened to our family.

Adult son, lives on his own, got covid at the salon where he works. Brown Deer Wisconsin. Full PPE, salon can only have certain # of people working based on square footage. Clients are one at a time, no overlapping, must wear masks at all times. Theres no contact tracing because the state is overwhelmed. Btw, he always wears a mask in public, washes his hands, socially distanced. Luckily, his symptoms were mild. Havent seen him in the house since early this year , all visits arenout side.

2nd cousins wife and adult son got covid. Kenosha Wisconsin. Her son ended up in hospital for 3 days. I guess he was very ill. I dont know how they got infected. She is an accountant, her son works at Kwik Trip (like a 711, Open Pantry, etc) Her husband, my 2and cousin, was in northern Wisconsin deer hunting with his other adult son at the time. They escaped the virus exposure that got his wife and other son I guess.

My wife's family in Dover Pennsylvania got covid. Wife's nephew was in the hospital for 5 days, couldn't breath. He was actually on a "vacation" with 3 other family members at a condo in Florida when he got sick. So sick they had to take him to a hospital there. Spent 2 nights in the hospital in Florida before they discharged him to go home to Pennsylvania where he spent another 5 days in the hospital. Hes recovered. My wife's cousins that went with him to Florida never got tested anywhere but the hospital told them to assume they were infected and to quarantine. Dont think they did, they think it's a hoax, which has many meanings I've come to understand.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 12-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #8

I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe, the "Dirty Jobs" guy. He was talking about a slogan he started back in 2008 or 9 - "Safety Third". That got me to do a search on the slogan and led me to the site below. Makes for some interesting reading and thought. I really like one section:

"Here’s an honest question – would you be OK if the government reduced the posted speed limits by 50%, required all motorists to wear helmets, and outlawed all left turns? If not, why not? Doing so would save almost 40,000 lives a year. The reason most people would not agree to those new protocols, is because we’ve already come to terms with the human cost of driving the way we want to drive. We believe, collectively, that 40,000 annual deaths are an acceptable price to pay. It’s a steep price, but we pay it, year after year after year. Sure, we’ve made things much safer with safety belts, air bags, ABS brakes, and so forth. But we haven’t done ALL we can to eliminate traffic fatalities. Nor will we. Because when it comes to driving, safety isn’t first."

https://mikerowe.com/2020/03/walk-me...y-third-thing/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 12-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #9

As far as limits people will accept....

Its widely posted at stores, especially gas stations and convenience stores, in Wisconsin anyways....

"No shoes, no shirts, no service"

Or

"No pets allowed "

Wearing seat belts is the law as well.

We all accept these decrees. Public health and liability issues.

Some people just want to be Bucky and are emboldened by certain public leaders to thumb their noses at norms, rules, and the law.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

I've often wonder why it has not been changed to "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Mask - NO Service". And now our local gas station removed their plexiglas barricades and the employees no longer wear facemasks. I guess with the prospect of the yet to be released to the public vaccine some think covid is finished.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 12-25-2020, 02:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I guess with the prospect of the yet to be released to the public vaccine some think covid is finished.
I've seen that trend too and don't understand it at all. The people who are vaccinated today aren't going to be immune til the end of January.
They say that the vaccine is going to be available to most of us by the summer, but I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:54 AM   #12

I know about a dozen people who have had the virus and about triple that for being exposed to it (families with at least one positive). For most it was slightly inconvenient. For two it was a pretty nasty 4 day event. One spent 41 days on a hospital ventilator and missed nearly 5 months of work...he is 40, athletic and in really good shape. My neighbor is an insulin user and called her doctor because she was having trouble getting her blood sugar corrected. She tested positive and felt a little more tired than usual with no real symptoms.

I have three friends at work who lost a parent this year. Two were in their 80's and one was 93. Both of the two in their 80's never had Covid and both had Covid written on the death certificate as cause of death.

The 93 year old had Covid early this spring with nothing more than a low grade fever...it never even changed his routine. He died last month of a heart attack and they wrote death as a result of Covid on the death certificate. My friend protested. (I posted this ^ before and in that post I may have been mistaken when I said my friend didn't sign the death certificate...I don't know if we sign death certificates in MN or not but she protested it and got it changed)

I don't think the 'numbers' we are being told is the entire truth. If I personally know of three lies about cause of death, how many are there?...That doesn't mean I believe this virus is a hoax, it is a very real danger to some and I take it series enough that I have missed almost 4 weeks this year because of the possibility of being in contact with someone who had symptoms that potentially could have been Covid.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #13

My youngest sister sits right now -- Christmas day -- in an ICU stepdown unit after trying to fight covid-19 (tested positive a week into it) at home for three weeks, then winding up with pneumonia and renal failure. Docs said her kidney function numbers on intake were as bad as they had ever seen. And hospital conditions were so bad she had to wait 24 hours in the ER before she could get into the ICU.

She seems to be slowly recovering, but I shake my head in amazement when I read about folks who take the virus threat lightly. Yes, we also have friends who survived it with mild symptoms. But who can know in advance which kind of response their body will have to exposure?

My GP and my rheumatologist both urge me to wait for the vaccine before resuming a more normal life. Everyone makes their own decisions in life, but mine is pretty clear -- hunker down until the list gets down to 74 year olds with multiple vulnerabilities.

Rich Phillips
Old 12-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe, the "Dirty Jobs" guy. He was talking about a slogan he started back in 2008 or 9 - "Safety Third". That got me to do a search on the slogan and led me to the site below. Makes for some interesting reading and thought. I really like one section:

"Here’s an honest question – would you be OK if the government reduced the posted speed limits by 50%, required all motorists to wear helmets, and outlawed all left turns? If not, why not? Doing so would save almost 40,000 lives a year. The reason most people would not agree to those new protocols, is because we’ve already come to terms with the human cost of driving the way we want to drive. We believe, collectively, that 40,000 annual deaths are an acceptable price to pay. It’s a steep price, but we pay it, year after year after year. Sure, we’ve made things much safer with safety belts, air bags, ABS brakes, and so forth. But we haven’t done ALL we can to eliminate traffic fatalities. Nor will we. Because when it comes to driving, safety isn’t first."

https://mikerowe.com/2020/03/walk-me...y-third-thing/
X2. Life is full of risks!
Old 12-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
but I shake my head in amazement when I read about folks who take the virus threat lightly.
They will continue to do so until they get it, or a loved one gets it.

Chances are we'll never hear them admitting they were wrong though.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 12-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #16

Scrapper,

That's just crazy. Private enterprise in SE Wisconsin has been really good about PPE, plexiglass, etc.

I go to Sam's and use their Scan and Go app on my phone to buy supplies - dont have to go through any checkout just show your Maxi Code on the way out.

Of course, I go during senior hour either at Sam's or Costco.

It's a quiet Christmas here. Just the 2 of us. Kids are staying home too. Bitter cold, 9 degrees here, they probably wont even do a drive by today, maybe tomorrow

Merry Chrismas all!
Old 12-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
X2. Life is full of risks!
yes it is and I take my chances on Motorcycles almost every day.
But I only get to die once so I am not taking a chance finding out if covid is fake.

To much science to support its real
Old 12-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
yes it is and I take my chances on Motorcycles almost every day.
But I only get to die once so I am not taking a chance finding out if covid is fake.

To much science to support its real

I know folks that think the risk is overstated but I don't know anyone that thinks this virus is fake. Do you?
Old 12-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #19

My boss thought covid was fake until he got it. Then his father got it and passed away because of it. He's a believer now. I also had several coworkers get it, one ended up in ICU on a vent for two weeks and off work for a couple months. I'm 11 months away from retiring, I'm not about to screw that up by being wreckless. Talk to some of the healthcare doctors and nurses that work the covid wards, they'll give you an earful.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #20

Beyond my sister's illness, my nephew is a doctor who has done nothing but care for covid patients for months. He's working today -- Christmas day -- doing that.

I can assure you he thinks it's real and that it can be life threatening.

Rich
Closed Thread