Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Koa $10 Covid surcharge?

Really KOA, you will have less amenities open, still charge me full price AND now there's an extra $10 per night surcharge!?!
coachmen916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Long time camper.

Early in May, just needing to get out for the weekend, we went to a local campground we had been to before. It had been Sold and the name changed by one word, they tacked “Resort” on the end. Doubled the price and had all the new amenities closed due to COVID-19. BUT THE PRICE WAS STILL DOUBLED!

Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Brake is on left

I'd tell them to go pound sand. Just like I have done at restaurants and other businesses around here. You are lucky I am out spending money in your business. Tack on a BS fee? No way. Every one of them takes it off. They are just banking on those that do not notice.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

They should just raise the price $10. I hate the so called resort fee.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team

That's why they're called K(eep) O(n) A(dding).[emoji1787]

One reason we'll never stay at one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's why they're called K(eep) O(n) A(dding).[emoji1787]

One reason we'll never stay at one.
X2

KOA: last place we will stay. I'll do a Wally World first (but we never have).
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #7

Where do you see a COVID-19 surcharge? We have been in several KOA’S within the last month and no surcharges. We are currently in the KOA in Brigham City, UT for a one nighter. It is nice, lots of trees, the pool is open and the site is level with lots of green grass. No surcharge here.
Many folks don’t like KOA. We do. They are good for an overnighter. Several of their CG are also good for weeklong family vacations.
Like anything else, some like them, some don’t.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #8

Covid 19 "reopening regulations" I'm sure have imposed extra costs on Campgrounds. Depending on where located in the country and local regulations, in order to recover some of these costs (restricted number of spaces, revenue producing amenities (snack bar, gift shop) being closed, extra personnel for cleaning/sanitizing duties, I'm sure that more than just KOA locations have added fees or raised prices.

As for KOA calling it a "Resort Fee" perhaps it's just a pre-labeled line in their computer operating system.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

There was no surcharge in Oregon, this is in California (Ventura). We stayed in a KOA over 4th July in Cali, and although there was no Covid surcharge then, we paid full price and non of the kids activities were open. I get that they have to obide by County rules, but at least offer discount next visit, to say thank you for supporting them during this time.
coachmen916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Where do you see a COVID-19 surcharge? We have been in several KOA’S within the last month and no surcharges. We are currently in the KOA in Brigham City, UT for a one nighter. It is nice, lots of trees, the pool is open and the site is level with lots of green grass. No surcharge here.
Many folks don’t like KOA. We do. They are good for an overnighter. Several of their CG are also good for weeklong family vacations.
Like anything else, some like them, some don’t.
I have several bookings with KOA and not surcharge is added. Like Tom say some folks like them other do not. I'll stay in them. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #11

Here's the thing...Restaurants, malls, service industries...all going out of business because no one is coming. I'll bet those industries would LOVE to have even half the customers they used to have. So, KOA, you are lucky to have business at all. Why then do you feel justified to charge more for less amenities when other businesses don't even have customers. I call it greed and taking advantage of the "Covid Pandemic" to make a buck. Shame on you.
BTW, stayed at a nice hotel that USED to serve a hot breakfast. Now, they give you a cold boxed breakfast that is gross, but charge the same prices for the hotel. Plus, their chain at another location only offers room service every 15 days because of "Covid" Again, taking advantage of the misfortune of others.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmen916 View Post
There was no surcharge in Oregon, this is in California (Ventura). We stayed in a KOA over 4th July in Cali, and although there was no Covid surcharge then, we paid full price and non of the kids activities were open. I get that they have to obide by County rules, but at least offer discount next visit, to say thank you for supporting them during this time.
You've said where there wasn't a surcharge now please enlighten as to where there is a KOA surcharge as you posted.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #13

Has nothing to do with "just California" surcharges are popping up everywhere to cover the costs of added cleaning, supplies, PPE, and Im sure a cut in revenues. While I certainly rather have them just raise the price than add a fee. it is not abnormal, Ive seen it in OR, AZ, Texas, Missouri. KOA in CA is KOA Ventura/Santa Paula
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #14

Stayed in a lot of KOAs in the 70and 80s . The only CG with a site available for 1 night on my way home last spring was a KOA. 1st time in decades I pulled into one. A reminder why I avoid them and will stay at a truck stop or roadside rest in the future.
Price doesn’t bother me. All will be raising prices now and it’s understood. My winter spot is over $2000 monthly. Actually, not only understood but happy they can raise them. Get used to higher prices with all the new camper on the road. A 4 night weekend minimum hopefully is next.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Here's the thing...Restaurants, malls, service industries...all going out of business because no one is coming. I'll bet those industries would LOVE to have even half the customers they used to have. So, KOA, you are lucky to have business at all. Why then do you feel justified to charge more for less amenities when other businesses don't even have customers. I call it greed and taking advantage of the "Covid Pandemic" to make a buck. Shame on you.
With RV sales surging, the way they have this year, I would think most campgrounds would have more of a problem with over-booking rather than feeling lucky to have business.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Covid 19 "reopening regulations" I'm sure have imposed extra costs on Campgrounds. Depending on where located in the country and local regulations, in order to recover some of these costs (restricted number of spaces, revenue producing amenities (snack bar, gift shop) being closed, extra personnel for cleaning/sanitizing duties, I'm sure that more than just KOA locations have added fees or raised prices.

As for KOA calling it a "Resort Fee" perhaps it's just a pre-labeled line in their computer operating system.
Titan has a point here, a really good point I might add to.
In my industry of employment (Senior housing) we are requested to keep track of any additional cost we would incur to provide PPE or sanitizing chemicals / equipment for our facilities, residents, or staff. This MIGHT be a reimbursable charge when taxes are filed next year, so it makes sense for us to do the best we can to track those expenses. If KOA's or any other campground can narrow down those additional expenses, they would likely be able to offset those cost during tax time as well. The labeling it a "Covid-19 Fee" or convenience fee of any kind, if can be proven in their computer system that the funds go to Pendemic related costs, would be a great way of tracking those charges.

I could be wrong though, and they could just be taking advantage of those that want to travel still, and will pay a bit more to do so, because there isn't much else to do.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #17

I don't know about a surcharge, but the rates have gone up at the local KOA we use occasionally, and their availability has dropped to just one site available in a huge campground.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
OldSoldiers

KOA is notoriously higher than average on comparable properties to begin with, AND for the most part their properties are dated. I’ve avoided them when possible for the past 15 years and this is just another reason to seek other accommodations.
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #19

Karma is a beiatch. High likelihood that by this time next summer most of these brand new campers will realize they probably made a mistake and the lifestyle is not for them. Then, used units will be really cheap (and unreliable because most of the new folks don’t have a clue about taking care of an RV). Campgrounds will start having lots of vacancies.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #20

And then I get an email that starts out like this...

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200810-142628.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	236258  
richp is offline   Reply With Quote