Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mike, they are saying even if you are immunized and it prevents you from getting sick, you can still aid in spreading it. Therefore, you still need to mask up in public or you are a possible vector. At least for now. You can still shed virus from your nasal cavity, which is why I absolutely loathe the middle age men around here who can't cover their noses. There is ALWAYS that one guy in the grocery store I have to keep my violence fantasies in check over.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Mike, they are saying even if you are immunized and it prevents you from getting sick, you can still aid in spreading it. Therefore, you still need to mask up in public or you are a possible vector. At least for now. You can still shed virus from your nasal cavity, which is why I absolutely loathe the middle age men around here who can't cover their noses. There is ALWAYS that one guy in the grocery store I have to keep my violence fantasies in check over.
I've been reading the same but so far the info seems to only cover those with first shots who may have contracted the illness before the vaccine has had time to create immunity. I believe that's why there are two shots spread out over almost a month.

As for that ONE guy (or gal) at the grocery store with the mask below their nose, if it were ONLY ONE I could avoid them. Where I shop there's even a checker that is pretending she's a "stage robber" with only a mini-bandana hanging over her nose and mouth. At least she's behind the plexiglass shield.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
...which is why I absolutely loathe the middle age men around here who can't cover their noses.
The chin diaper
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #24

Hi, Maine allows a negative covid test in lieu of quarantine. The test must be taken within 72 hours of arrival in Maine. If you can't get a test at home and get to Maine within 72 hours, you can get a test near the Maine border at York Hospital, then quarantine in your self-contained RV until the test result is back. You don't have to quarantine in a private residence, you can do it in an RV, but you cannot leave your campsite and will have to do most of the check-in etc by phone or online, that may vary by campground. Good luck and enjoy your holiday!
Old 01-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
We cancelled our Maine trip as well. They allow you to test out of the 14 days, but that is impossible. You must produce a negative test that has been done within 72 hours. If you can get tested the results aren't even back to you in that time.
Maine offers rapid tests and pcr tests at the border at York Hospital. We got our noses swabbed and quarantined in the RV for two days because of the problem you cite above. We couldn't even get a test in our home state at that time. You do need an appointment for the test and can get an appt online, --it's really an easy process and Maine is so beautiful.
https://www.yorkhospital.com/new-upd...york-hospital/
Old 01-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphis View Post
Maine offers rapid tests and pcr tests at the border at York Hospital. We got our noses swabbed and quarantined in the RV for two days because of the problem you cite above. We couldn't even get a test in our home state at that time. You do need an appointment for the test and can get an appt online, --it's really an easy process and Maine is so beautiful.

https://www.yorkhospital.com/new-upd...york-hospital/
Good info. Thanks.
We literally don't have that kind of extra time to give. Can't retire at 40... Or at least, I can't...
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #27
JCR

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgdhp
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #28

York Hospital no longer offers this service as of December 31, 2020. There are many free sites in Maine to get tested for free if you have symptoms. Quick
tests appear to be only at Walgreens. It really doesn’t apply to travelers who just want a free test to travel in Maine. You must have symptoms.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #29

Sadly we decided to postpone Maine for 2021 also. Things are just too up in the air with Maine. Just do not want them closing the MA borders again. I understand them wanting to keep people out. Just a shame because I really do like the state.

We decided to head south to New Jersey instead. They are usually a hot spot for virus so I doubt they would be worried about people from MA visiting.

I agree with all the posts on the vaccine. Still impossible here in MA to score them. Its been horrible. I have been trying to get my 89 year old dad a vaccine but cannot. They keep opening it up to new people who then flood the system, crash the website, and take the appointments. I doubt we will be able to score a vaccine much before June or July. For whatever reason MA just cannot figure it out. They usually do pretty good but this vaccine rollout has them all confused.

Stay safe everyone.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #30

We have two weeks booked , but can’t get anything in the National parks. Everything is booked 5 mins after the site opened.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Sadly we decided to postpone Maine for 2021 also. Things are just too up in the air with Maine. Just do not want them closing the MA borders again. I understand them wanting to keep people out. Just a shame because I really do like the state.

We decided to head south to New Jersey instead. They are usually a hot spot for virus so I doubt they would be worried about people from MA visiting.

I agree with all the posts on the vaccine. Still impossible here in MA to score them. Its been horrible. I have been trying to get my 89 year old dad a vaccine but cannot. They keep opening it up to new people who then flood the system, crash the website, and take the appointments. I doubt we will be able to score a vaccine much before June or July. For whatever reason MA just cannot figure it out. They usually do pretty good but this vaccine rollout has them all confused.

Stay safe everyone.

Vin.
Keep the faith Vin, I was losing my mind trying to get appointments for my parents of same age for months. I finally got them shots several weeks ago in NJ at a vacccine mega site, as well as self and wife since we have some underlying medical risk factors. Still lots of demand compared to supply but is getting better. When I hear about people refusing vax even though they could have got it, I am amazed. The availability here depends on county. My friends all got theirs back in Feb in counties south of us where it's less populated, but in my county population and demand is high, it was very frustrating.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #32
waybeck2018

I have an 89 year old Aunt who just had to visit a sister in law in Florida this January for three months thinking she could get her shots there. I told her she did not know Governor DeSantis, was not rich enough and was not a resident. Of course she knew better. She got back here last week and called me wanting to know when our trip was! Told her as soon as she got both shots! She was not a happy camper to be. Oh well. She will miss the April trip for sure. If her stubbornness declines and she gets the shots she might make the mid-May trip.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #33

Off topic, but it's my thread. Haha.

Pondering key West koa for a couple nights this winter.

Is it safe for families? My dad thinks it isn't. I haven't a clue.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Pondering key West koa for a couple nights this winter.

Is it safe for families? My dad thinks it isn't. I haven't a clue.
I would first try to find a campsite before worrying about anything else... you might find 1 night in a row I would think at this late date...

Key West is fine for families especially during the day and early evening... the only time it gets crazy is Fantesy Fest in late October. Actually lots of things to do and see there that are family friendly.

Gardens to tour, beaches to be on, history to tour ( Hemingway's Home), grave yard to visit, Mel Fisher's Treasure museum, free bus around town, golf carts and bikes to rent, Tram tours... just off the top of my head.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #35

Somewhat related off topic. Florida Everglades at the very end of December. Is air conditioning needed to sleep (off doing things during the day). The internets say 70s/50s, which would be FINE. Humidity?

We did death valley at the same time (Christmas time) pre covid and it was amazing. No AC needed. Is this the same?
Old 08-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Somewhat related off topic. Florida Everglades at the very end of December. Is air conditioning needed to sleep (off doing things during the day). The internets say 70s/50s, which would be FINE. Humidity?

We did death valley at the same time (Christmas time) pre covid and it was amazing. No AC needed. Is this the same?
I have camped at Midway FED campground from mid-Oct into February without the need for AC... although on occasion we did use a fan... mostly not too humid but it can still be warm

I think Midway on Tamiami Trail is the nicest FED campground because of the availability of electric there. Also WP Franklin Fed near Alva, FL for the same reason. Many of the fed camps in the area have no electric.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

Average humidity in the Everglades is around 65% in December which is about the same as the summer. The lowest humidity is in March at 60%. That's going to make it seem hotter than your camping in Death Valley.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Average humidity in the Everglades is around 65% in December which is about the same as the summer. The lowest humidity is in March at 60%. That's going to make it seem hotter than your camping in Death Valley.
So don't do it without AC?
Old 08-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have camped at Midway FED campground from mid-Oct into February without the need for AC... although on occasion we did use a fan... mostly not too humid but it can still be warm

I think Midway on Tamiami Trail is the nicest FED campground because of the availability of electric there. Also WP Franklin Fed near Alva, FL for the same reason. Many of the fed camps in the area have no electric.
That seems promising! I just need to figure out where those are (and thanks for the ideas). That makes me think we'd be fine. We have 2 fantastic fans and 4+ little fans to blow on whoever inside...
Old 08-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Ok to camp at Midway if not disabled? Seems lots of ADA sites?