Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Ok to camp at Midway if not disabled? Seems lots of ADA sites?
All of them ADA?
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #42

Quote:
All of them ADA?
I don't know about ADA...

there is zero elevation/steps, impediments for disabled at this campground

there is only one bathroom for the entire campground and NO shower facility ...

I have AT&T and would have to walk to the main road to get service.

I have been there in mid-October several times and only have had 2-3 sites being used. IN Jan and Feb sometimes 50-75 % being used, but that was like 4 and 5 years ago. Not sure about usage since COVID set in.

Another campground is Monument Lake Campground 8 miles to the west. Not any electric at that campground but well spaced lots for the most part.

Between them is one end of the Loop Road which is always good for finding alligators in the road... this is a 27 mile loop on a wash board dirt road thru the back country. I always take at least 2-3 hours to drive it and view the birds, fish and reptiles that live feet from the roadside. I sometimes see 6-8 cars coming from the other direction in that amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	midway.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	261106  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Somewhat related off topic. Florida Everglades at the very end of December. Is air conditioning needed to sleep (off doing things during the day). The internets say 70s/50s, which would be FINE. Humidity?

We did death valley at the same time (Christmas time) pre covid and it was amazing. No AC needed. Is this the same?
Aw
RLG1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #44

I live in SWFL. There are only a couple of weeks a year that I don't want (need) AC, usually Jan-Feb. This ain't Death Valley's dry heat.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I live in SWFL. There are only a couple of weeks a year that I don't want (need) AC, usually Jan-Feb. This ain't Death Valley's dry heat.
Fair enough. We booked midway with electric. Thanks all!
Old 12-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Fair enough. We booked midway with electric. Thanks all!
So it's crunch time.
What do ya'all think?
Good idea to go to Florida?

From MI, so "things" sure aren't good here. I think my county is 2nd or 3rd worst in the state, too.

Is traffic in FL horrible over the winter/holiday break? We've heard travel times double. Pretty generic statement, but......

So, we're torn...
Old 12-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
So it's crunch time.
What do ya'all think?
Good idea to go to Florida?

From MI, so "things" sure aren't good here. I think my county is 2nd or 3rd worst in the state, too.

Is traffic in FL horrible over the winter/holiday break? We've heard travel times double. Pretty generic statement, but......

So, we're torn...
We leave for FL Thursday. Staying till April.
We have no qualms about going.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #48

Maine Quarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We leave for FL Thursday. Staying till April.
We have no qualms about going.

For those of you concerned about Florida for the myriad of reasons… I live here. We use Air Conditioning ALMOST every day. It is ALWAYS humid. Covid is the lowest here out of all of the states, regardless of what the MSM says.
Macallan 12
Grumpy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #49

Nothing wrong with Fl just the traffic from all the snowbirds showing up . been here since Oct. fishing has been great weather now avg 82 humid and pandemic over . either people have their shots or natural immunity from having had the virus
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy64 View Post
Covid is the lowest here out of all of the states, regardless of what the MSM says.
Well, #3 in total cases and #11 in active cases... so I don't know if "lowest" is the right word to use.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

It's the per capita rate that counts, and according to Mayo clinic, Florida has one of the lowest rates of infection in the country. A fraction of most other states. Go figure. Definitely way better than Michigan, which has a pretty poor vaccination percentage. I would flee Michigan for FL in a heartbeat, didn't think I would see that happen!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's the per capita rate that counts, and according to Mayo clinic, Florida has one of the lowest rates of infection in the country. A fraction of most other states. Go figure. Definitely way better than Michigan, which has a pretty poor vaccination percentage. I would flee Michigan for FL in a heartbeat, didn't think I would see that happen!
There is also a big difference by county in Florida. If I wasn't working I'd head south. As I plan to do next year after I retire.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #53

Anymore, I don't really care what the numbers are. None of us can escape the virus. All we can do is get the vaccination(s) and follow the mask rules wherever we are. We never stopped traveling. We did somewhat limit our exposure to large groups. Now we are learning to live with the virus and refuse to put life on hold. But that is just us.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Anymore, I don't really care what the numbers are. None of us can escape the virus. All we can do is get the vaccination(s) and follow the mask rules wherever we are. We never stopped traveling. We did somewhat limit our exposure to large groups. Now we are learning to live with the virus and refuse to put life on hold. But that is just us.
x2.

Get your shots, wear a mask and wash your hands. Pretty much what I've been doing the last couple of years. Haven't had any problems.

I have plenty of friends and family that did not follow these simple steps and they have paid dearly for it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #55
Trailer Park Supervisor

Likewise. Friend called me crying both her parents died in September in Florida. I knew them, they were pretty healthy. Of course I asked, didn't they have shots? She said no, people down FL, including her parents, act like this is not happening. That's what SHE told me. Don't shoot the messenger.

Most people I know who caught it didn't get as sick as I did, where I thought I would croak, so this reinforces the apathy.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #56

PLEASE ... have lost too many people to that damn virus & even though vaccinated have been thru 2 very quick minor infections (getting boostered next week) .... do your part & get vaccinated if coming to visit my home state. My medical friends are sooo tired.....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:41 AM   #57
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
PLEASE ... have lost too many people to that damn virus & even though vaccinated have been thru 2 very quick minor infections (getting boostered next week) .... do your part & get vaccinated if coming to visit my home state. My medical friends are sooo tired.....
I agree wiyh you Terri. If they do not care about themselves, they should at least consider the people that are in the state they are visiting... unfortunately we are in the ME generation and they only care about themselves.

Missed seeing you guys this past fall. Looking forward to a someone doing another fall rally..........
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #58

I've got to say that I have had three shots - the two shot original + booster. I do not attract ferrous metal objects, I don't glow in the dark, and as long as I am carrying my cell phone the government knows where I am anyway, but I do not appear as a dot on my GPS.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #59

IMHO, there is only one truth regarding the virus. One, the vaccine works and less than 20% of the population is being hung out to dry for those who choose (their right) not to get the vaccine, or, the vaccines don't work. But after close to two years of the same rhetoric, something does not add up to two.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. Over 8.6 billion shots administered world wide.