Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
FACT: No, the letter does not come even close to saying any such thing.

Draw whatever conclusions you will from that fact.

I am not getting into the argument regarding efficacy of masks. Please do not try to drag me into it. I am merely relating facts and my personal experience with having contracted the disease.

But arguing is EXACTLY what you ARE doing.
That "letter" from your Dr. is just legal and by no means does it tell the entire story on what a mask can or can't do.
The overwhelming scientific opinion at this time is that wearing masks is better for everyone than not wearing one.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
Old 07-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #42
RCW

I look at masks the same way that I look at air bags in a car. Neither guarantee your safety but they both help! And just as airbags are only one system out of many to protect you in a vehicle, the mask is only part of what we all need to do during this pandemic! If your are wearing a mask and you rub your face with your hand you could still get Covid. It doesn't mean the mask didn't work! I have yet to see a creadable scientist or doctor state that they don't help. Surgery teams have worn masks during surgery for years. They don't do it to protect themselves from the patient , they do it to protect the patient!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don’t think your experienced and knowledgeable contributions to this discussion are the problem, so I hope you don’t bail out on this.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Thanks, My skin is thick. No problems There is so much bad information out there.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone the other day explaining to a person that the study (not scientific a you tube video) showing how masks can hurt you was flawed.

A firefighter from PA did the video and he was using an expensive gas monitor so it must be true. Wrong the manufacturer of the meter MSA put out info that the video was totally false and an incorrect use of their meter.

I wish everyone well and we all do what ever it takes to get through this whether we agree or not.

Dave

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullroo233s View Post
How the mask work for dummies

If we're all running around naked and I pee, some of you are going to get wet. If some of you wear pants, you'll get less wet. But, if I wear pants you won't get wet
Bill Nye was on the news the other morning explaining For dummies how wearing a mask protects others. His example was a little different than yours, But I like yours better!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #45
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
But arguing is EXACTLY what you ARE doing.
That "letter" from your Dr. is just legal and by no means does it tell the entire story on what a mask can or can't do.
The overwhelming scientific opinion at this time is that wearing masks is better for everyone than not wearing one.
I answered his question and stated that I don’t want to be involved in the argument over the efficacy of masks (which another site team member has asked to be “stop[ped]”).

I do not say that the letter means anything other than it says. It says that I should not wear a mask and that I understand that not wearing the mask increases my chance of contracting the disease.

I leave the drawing of conclusions and arguing of opinions to others.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #46
OYO

Health departments sate that shoes and a shirt must be worn in restaurants.

Most folks obey that order.

What's the difference?

Craig
Old 07-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Wearing a mask does not prevent you from getting it...it prevents you from spreading it.

That's why I won't go into a place of business if the employees aren't wearing masks. My mask that I am wearing is protecting them from me. The fact that they aren't wearing masks is the risk to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
.... Your mask protects me , my mask protects you unless we are wear N95's or better.
Right on the money ^.
--------------------------------------------------

It boggles my mind how some folks have formed such strong opinions about face coverings without having a clue...
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullroo233s View Post
How the mask work for dummies

If we're all running around naked and I pee, some of you are going to get wet. If some of you wear pants, you'll get less wet. But, if I wear pants you won't get wet
You made me laugh with this, nice analogy.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #49

NC has a mask mandate. And what I find interesting is how many people don't wear one and how many stores say nothing to people. I'm not trying to be a goody two-shoes person but it is a law and out of respect for others, we should comply.

Still waiting to get pulled over for not wearing a mask while driving. lol
Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
NC has a mask mandate. And what I find interesting is how many people don't wear one and how many stores say nothing to people. I'm not trying to be a goody two-shoes person but it is a law and out of respect for others, we should comply.

Wearing a mask alone in you car is like wearing a condom alone in bed.....

Your car isn't "public". I'm in NY and most all stores have a no mask, no enter sign. Pumping gas, on a walk, anything outside masks aren't mandated. Its only inside AND public. I have seen people get turned away for not wearing a mask. Their argument is always "it's my right to not wear one" and the establishment (gas station, restaurant, etc) simply responds " and we have to right to not serve you for ANY reason"
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post

Just north of ya in Virginia the governor has mandated masks is public places and suggested to business, if the patron will not wear a mask ask them to leave if they do not call the police and they can be charged for trespassing. Also business risk losing their licence if they do not enforce wearing of masks. Nothing is now being said about medical exemptions.

PLEASE DO NOT START A POLITICAL ARGUMENT OVER THIS !!!

It is just the current info for Virginia. All is subject to change.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #52

Obviously the solutions our individual states have implemented thus far, in many cases, have not been effective. On the other hand, countries whose populace were more disciplined than we are, have been able to get the virus under better control.

So, while I am all for individual rights, and states rights, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, and expecting different results.

I think we, as a country were disciplined "enough" to get it under control, to a large extent. But, then as we re-opened, we lost that discipline. The virus is apolitical, and doesn't care if it infects a protest or a crowded beach. But for some reason, some people must think it does.

We can debate whether the reopening process was good, or bad. Doesn't matter. What we did, as a nation, and as individuals, did not work. Therefore, lets not be idiots and expect different results the second time around.

Mike
Closed Thread

Tags
alabama