Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I know. But at the same time when they require you to wear the cheapest mask available that pretty much fits no one properly, I can't help but to think that the effort is more for appearance and placating politicians than it is for actually protecting anyone.
Hmmm...they charge you for that mask too.

I have no illusions about masks. We test them at work. Not one gator, doo-rag, flimsy handout at the doctors office will pass an aerosol test on the first breath.

An n95 with a proper fit is the only (cheap) mask that will protect you.

-And for those who want to use the talking point that the mask is to protect others; those masks are not stopping aerosol particles that hang in the air. They stop the large droplets that fall readily to the ground. Those large particles dampen the mask and the 90% of dingdongs that touch their mask then spread that nasty goo.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #22
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Based on my observations almost nobody is wearing N95 masks around here. A hodgepodge of neck gaiters, designer masks made from unknown materials, and the usual disposable masks that have been used around hospitals for decades. The disposables don't seem to seal well around one's face very well and even less when worn where it's not covering the nose.

Makes one wonder just how effective mask wearing really is.
So true. A N95 mask, (classified as a respirator by NIOSH), is only as good as it's "fit factor" determined by a fit test. NIOSH also mandates that a protective respirator must have headbands, not ear loops. A cloth mask or surgical mask offers little protection from a bio agent. If you can walk into a super market and smell food from the deli, or a restaurant and smell food cooking, you're not protected from anything.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #23
Insert witty title here

Quote:
You're right. I got the "category mixed. Ratio for merely contracting Covid is more like 1:7

Right now, the worldwide mortality rate from COVID-19 is approximately 3.4% which means that for every 1000 people who contract COVID-19, 34 will die.

The vaccines are 97% effective in preventing severe disease. For every 100,000 cases of COVID, 3400 will die, 3296 of those will be unvaccinated.

Had the vaccine been magically available before the pandemic started and we had a 100% vaccination rate, out of the 600,000 Americans who have died, 582,000 would still be alive. Yes I know heard immunity would have stopped the pandemic before it even started but I'm just trying to make a point.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #24

My biggest question, that I’ve never seen answered is, What is the rate of reinfection? If you’ve had it what’s the chances of getting it again? We need to see better info on that, I know several people who have been infected and don’t feel they need the shot because they now have immunity. I’ve seen opinions but no facts.
lewisra is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #25

Here's an interesting study:
https://www.epa.gov/sciencematters/e...ainst-covid-19

The paper disposable ear loop mask they commonly hand out for free is 38.1% effective.

The standard cotton cloth mask you would get from Amazon is 26.5% effective.

The Nylon mask, with ear loop adjusters and metal nose bridge along with the filter insert that they come with (also available at Amazon) is 79% effective (with the filter installed). That is for filtering particles coming in.

And this study:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-72798-7

Showed that wearing a neck gaitor or homemade cloth mask actually INCREASED the particle dispersion when coughing or speaking making more of a public hazard than no mask at all!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #26

Since catching Covid is also how much you are exposed to and length of time. I would take a 25% reduction. When all people you are exposed to wear masks % goes up.
BDenn is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
My biggest question, that I’ve never seen answered is, What is the rate of reinfection? If you’ve had it what’s the chances of getting it again? We need to see better info on that, I know several people who have been infected and don’t feel they need the shot because they now have immunity. I’ve seen opinions but no facts.

That is a good question, and I can only offer my opinion. I'd say if you have been vaccinated, or if you have previously been infected and gained some immunity, your chance of catching the virus again if thoroughly re-exposed is about 100%. Neither the vaccine nor immunity puts up a shield around you. They would just increase the chances of a quick recovery without dire consequences. While reinfected, you could be contagious to other people.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #28

Thought this was an rv site, not a propaganda forum.
Dave S is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #30

Quote:

This discussion is in a section of the forum specifically for Covid discussions… Covid has affected everything, including RVs
Daxinarian is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
This discussion is in a section of the forum specifically for Covid discussions… Covid has affected everything, including RVs
Sorry, read it in the daily updates. Guess I’ll have to read the “assigned forum” first next time.
Dave S is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #32

Quote:
...Makes one wonder just how effective mask wearing really is.
No, it makes one wonder why we have so many people who apparently can't figure out the best course of action given all that we know about what types of masks work and where and when to wear them.

I'm being kind here...

Quote:
Could you be more specific?
PodGeek is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #33
Site Team

This sub forum, Covid-19 Discussions, is appropriate for this discussion. Please adhere to the posting guidlines HERE.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.
It is a really simple decision... move on then.

This thread was specifically started in the COVID-19 Discussions sub-forum (where it belongs) and discussion of COVID is relevant here.

If you are not interested, move on to a different sub-forum.
No one is holding anyone's arm behind their back making them read this.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #35

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad the National Parks are requiring masks.

The way this works is pretty simple.
  • MY mask protects YOU.
  • YOUR mask protects ME.
  • Masks do only a little to protect the wearer, but they DO contain the wearer's "droplets" and redirect the wearer's exhalations away people the wearer is engaged with.
  • There is no way to reasonably police whether or not someone is vaccinated.
  • The honor system does not work when some individuals are unwilling to get a vaccination and unwilling to wear a mask voluntarily.
  • Thus, the simplest answer is to require everyone to wear a mask when conditions suggest that transmission risk is increased.

I'm happy to see that masks are being required in public buildings and gatherings outside where social distancing is not possible. I'm fully vaccinated, and I wear a mask whenever I'm in a public bulding...e.g. Home Depot, the supermarket, and so on. This gesture reminds others to keep their distance and that they, too, should mask up.

This is all the evidence I need that masks are still important.

I keep a supply of basic "medical" masks in both vehicles, and I have a supply of N-95s for situations where they might be desirable.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
...Masks do only a little to protect the wearer, but they DO contain the wearer's "droplets" and redirect the wearer's exhalations away people the wearer is engaged with....
Quote:
...There have been several studies demonstrating that wearing a face mask could help protect both the person wearing the mask and the people around them from COVID-19.

Additionally, the United States Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (U.S. CDC) updated their guidelines to reflect the two-way protection given by masks, and released a scientific brief on November 20, 2020 about how the community use of masks can help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

An additional study from the group from February of 2021 showed that wearing any mask offers significantly more protection than not wearing a mask and showed protection rates of over 92% from aerosolized particles when lab dummies wore cloth masks over surgical masks....
https://health-desk.org/articles/doe...he-mask-wearer

Otherwise, thank you for being a voice of reason here. It's pretty clear that some folks still don't get it despite the mountains of good, scientifically based evidence out there for public consumption.
PodGeek is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #37

And yet when MN wants to put on a state fair:

Wisconsin State Fair (according to Wisconsin Department of Health)
841,000 people attended,
46 confirmed COVID-19 cases (8 probable cases) connected to event,
No COVID-19 restrictions,
Dates: 8/5 – 8/15.
Motorcycle Rally Sturgis (according to South Dakota Department of Health)
525,768 people attended,
39 confirmed COVID-19 cases connected to event,
Dates: 8/5 – 8/15.
Lollapalooza (according to the Associated Press)
325,000 people attended (estimated),
203 confirmed COVID-19 cases connected to event,
Attend
From here: https://kstp.com/coronavirus/looking...tarts/6219326/

What to believe!
Old 09-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #38

I'm wondering yet as to how the world got over the Spanish Flu in the early part of last century.

My mother-in-law had the HongKong Flu, spent 2 weeks in the hospital and all we did was hope we didn't get it. We didn't!

I know this one is very contagious but I am convinced that there has been too much politics brought into the mismanagement.

The wife and I had it in January of 2019 and didn't know what it was at the time.

I guess we were lucky because we are both in that "vulnerable" bracket, 73 & 75 at the time.

Yes we wear our masks when we are forced to and we have been vaccinated. We live in one of the states that are first to mandate masks at the first hint.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #39

Covid and mask

i beg yall to wear your mask. My husband is currently in ICU, but getting better. Was diag on the 4th of Sept and admitted on the 9th. He didn't get referred for the Monoclonal antibodies i'm guessing due to the Holiday weekend. He was fully vaccinated, but didn't always wear his mask as designed. I am a cancer patient and have been very careful with masking and hand sanitizing. And have been worried that i'd get it from him. So far, and two PCR test later I'm negative. Please be considerate of others. We have become such a ME society and not taking others into consideration.
funky40 is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, read it in the daily updates. Guess I’ll have to read the “assigned forum” first next time.
It's always recommended that you scroll to the top of the thread, before posting. You'll be able to see which Forum section/sub-forum the thread is located.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply
Closed Thread