Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

OK for snowbirds to return north (WA)?

We have been self isolating for several weeks at our home in AZ. We have a small RV (Dynamax Isata) and want to drive home to our rural property in NE WA. Since we are used to spending our 2 road nights at non-campground spots, I like to think we’ll be OK. We have masks and gloves for diesel stops.

Are we being foolish for leaving? I think our risk exposure is higher here. And instead of sitting here, we could be pruning fruit trees, starting our summer garden, etc.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

We have two different friends who just left Casa Grande and Apache Junction to return home to SE Idaho. They felt the odds were much better here at home where we still have single digit cases of the virus, per county. The didn't have any issues returning home on the Interstate.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Team

We're in the same situation as you. We left NW Washington on February 18th and have been on the road ever since. We too are in Arizona currently, with plans to head up on I5 to get home, on the next weekend. We extended our time in Arizona because it was less crazier and safer than Washington has been.
We've had an easier time resupplying in Arizona, than family and friends at home.
We plan on stopping and sleeping at truck stops or rest areas along the way.
If we find a private park open, we may stay there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #4

We just came from Tombstone back to our home in Montana. Our only stops were at two rv parks (one in Utah and one in Montana. Both practiced distancing and non-contact registrations. Their shower and rest rooms were closed. We also stopped at two truck stops for fuel. Used gloves and kept to ourselves-as were every truck operator we saw. I would be very surprised if you don’t find the same thing on the Washington route. Our only issue was the fast developing snow storms thru Idaho and Montana which dumped on us even though not predicted the day before. Our concern and the deciding factor to head home now was getting stuck somewhere in between with no where to land by closures by states. Traffic was very light the entire way, other than thru the Salt Lake corridor and even that was much less than normal. You should be fine as long as you adhere to the CDC guidelines and keep to yourselves in your self-contained unit. While we were in Arizona, and at home we and most other rv park folks stayed in our own space and didn’t travel other than to groceries, and very limited in that.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #5

Stevens County has a few cases of the virus and last I saw Pend Orielle had none. (That not be the case any longer) I’m in the Deer Park area and yesterday I drove up to our property near Northport. Very little traffic and I had no issues on my trip up and back home. Sounds like you have your route figured out and I don’t see any problems for you upon your arrival.

We have been getting light snow showers almost nightly but starting tomorrow (Monday) the weather is improving with highs in the 50’s and lows in the lower 30’s. Hopefully spring has finally arrived.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Stevens County has a few cases of the virus and last I saw Pend Orielle had none. (That not be the case any longer) I’m in the Deer Park area and yesterday I drove up to our property near Northport. Very little traffic and I had no issues on my trip up and back home. Sounds like you have your route figured out and I don’t see any problems for you upon your arrival.

We have been getting light snow showers almost nightly but starting tomorrow (Monday) the weather is improving with highs in the 50’s and lows in the lower 30’s. Hopefully spring has finally arrived.

Thanks for the info. We’re heading a bit north of you to Valley. I’ve been monitoring the weather and have one security camera pointed out towards the driveway, so I can see the daffodils are up.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #7

Go, go, go...you’re self contained, when you get home you live in open space, go, go, go...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

I would go. Especially since you are located in a remote area of WA.
Stock up on TP before you leave AZ. Low supply in outlying areas. (I live in Central WA out in country)
Also, I have noticed that it appears that our governor has closed RV dump sites at the rest areas so take heed.

Safe travels!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

Washington State rest area dump station

It doesn't mention anything of the dump station being closed on the states website.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #10

barricading interstates

This thread touches on a question I've wondered about. Maybe some lawyer out there can comment. Can a state legally prevent motorists from passing through on public highways that cross state lines (obviously except for being overweight or some other violation)? Seems to me that's interfering with interstate commerce, which is federal jurisdiction. Just wondering...
Old 04-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

We quit bringing our RV south a few years ago. Wish we had this year because we would be leaving for our Bend, Oregon home this week. However, because we don't want to sleep in a hotel or eat in a restaurant (if we could find one) we will be staying in our Arizona home until at least the end of May. Like Dr. Fauci said; the virus determines the calendar.

Safe travels.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #12

We too have been here in Mesa Arizona since November Planning on leaving Wednesday April 8 for upstate NY.were a class A motorhome,fully self contained.only need to stop for fuel.and KOA's etc for overnights.Ny where they have so many cases of Covid 19 is almost 700 miles from our home. So I'm not worried about that. I have enough work at home to do to keep me busy for months and here in Mesa there is nothing to do except watch TV. So were outta here. So many people keep saying Stay home.I will when we get there,
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuff View Post
This thread touches on a question I've wondered about. Maybe some lawyer out there can comment. Can a state legally prevent motorists from passing through on public highways that cross state lines (obviously except for being overweight or some other violation)? Seems to me that's interfering with interstate commerce, which is federal jurisdiction. Just wondering...
Legally? Doubt it.

Doing it anyway?

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...f69a8e135.html

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #14

We are in rural Skagit county WA and things are very quiet here, after the initial choir and square dance events of almost a month ago. Masks and gloves are standard wear now. I feel safe here...at home in the farming area.

A parked Ram2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #15

p.s. The weather is great - sunny al week!
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #16

Returning to Washington

Sister returned to Northern Indiana from Mesa, Az. TODAY KOAs open and they made advance reservations. Park showers/toilets closed. Interstate exits closed so difficult to walk dogs. Wash governor has shut state down so if human toilets closed I expect dump stations closed also. He shut turkey/bear seasons down also even on your own land. My Costco provides gloves and sani wipe at fuel stops
Jan and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #17

Garden mom,

If you need to empty your tanks you can stop in Deer Park at the Bob Mart. They are open and have dump facilities. BobMart is on Crawford on the east end of Deer Park just before the golf course.

Safe travels and stay healthy.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenMom View Post
We have been self isolating for several weeks at our home in AZ. We have a small RV (Dynamax Isata) and want to drive home to our rural property in NE WA. Since we are used to spending our 2 road nights at non-campground spots, I like to think we’ll be OK. We have masks and gloves for diesel stops.

Are we being foolish for leaving? I think our risk exposure is higher here. And instead of sitting here, we could be pruning fruit trees, starting our summer garden, etc.
If I were in similar circumstances I'd make the trip home with some precautions. I'd try to have enough provisions, water and propane, for the duration of the trip so I didn't have to go into stores unnecessarily.

If you can, dump tanks where you are and pretend you won't see an open dump station along the way home. For a 2 night/3 day trip you shouldn't need one anyway.

Perhaps choose a route that doesn't take you through major metro areas. This way you will encounter fewer people at fuel stops which really should be the only place you might encounter "contaminated surfaces" (fuel pumps). Wash hands after use.

As I look back on my trip from WA to AZ at the beginning of January, in reality the only thing I touched that wasn't part of my truck, trailer, or items from them, was a gas pump handle. Either pretend it's a sewer hose or wash good after use.

Travel safe and enjoy the great weather. 60 degrees at my house and I just got back from a nice bike ride.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #19

Yep we plan on 5-6 days on the road.we don't need any services,other than fuel. Don't know what to expect at these times but as always hoping for the best.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:58 AM   #20

“Freedom of Movement” Interstate travel is protected under the constitution. This right was recently threatened on 3/28/2020 for residents of NJ, NY & CT. It was quickly smacked down and downgraded to a travel advisory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free...ted_States_law
frogpickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow