Old 03-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #41

If you have any health issues especially lung or heart related, stay home. Otherwise go camping.... YMMV Regards

Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #42

We are headed to Normandy Farms April 1st!

racindirt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #43
Lacey's Spring, AL

we have a local 'greenway' down the road from us, and suddenly there are HUNDREDS of people there almost ALL DAY LONG lately - with their children, their dogs, and I've seen with PICNIC baskets, as well. It's great, and I suppose so many folks have 'cabin fever'... so they want to 'get out'... makes sense.

but, while it's interesting to 'watch', I also dropped by my local 'BestBuy' store, which has suddenly decided to PROHIBIT indoor shopping within their store, requiring you to 'wait in line' outside, wait to have an employee, standing at a distance just inside the barely open door, to discuss what you 'need', and then go get it for you - all while you wait OUTSIDE with all the other 'people' -- isn't that simply causing all the 'people' to congregate when they wouldn't have had to otherwise!???!? Crazy. True. Unbelievable.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from GA, then NC, now N AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
we have a local 'greenway' down the road from us, and suddenly there are HUNDREDS of people there almost ALL DAY LONG lately - with their children, their dogs, and I've seen with PICNIC baskets, as well. It's great, and I suppose so many folks have 'cabin fever'... so they want to 'get out'... makes sense.

but, while it's interesting to 'watch', I also dropped by my local 'BestBuy' store, which has suddenly decided to PROHIBIT indoor shopping within their store, requiring you to 'wait in line' outside, wait to have an employee, standing at a distance just inside the barely open door, to discuss what you 'need', and then go get it for you - all while you wait OUTSIDE with all the other 'people' -- isn't that simply causing all the 'people' to congregate when they wouldn't have had to otherwise!???!? Crazy. True. Unbelievable.
I got an email from Best Buy and was told you could wait in your car. Order online, sit in your car. Easy Peasy.

Per the sent email.

Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn't order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car. This service also extends to returns and exchanges, the period for which has been extended on most products so that you have more time. Only employees will be allowed in the store, but we are determined to serve you as fully as we can. Unfortunately, we are temporarily unable to continue our product trade-in and recycling services.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #45

We had 2 weeks booked at John Pennekamp in the Keys. You know how hard that is!! They kicked us out after 6 days so we headed north. Had a reservation at KOA Whippoorwill Orlando so called to ask if we could come early. Nope. They were going to close permanently on April 26 anyway so decided to close permanently on March 20. Found another park near Orlando so we could visit son, DIL and grandson and then thought better of it. so now to get back to Mich. Our usual CG in Macon, Ga. Said nope but I found A KOA that said Ok as long as we are self contained, no facilities open. OK by me. We'll still need a couple nights after that to get home to SWMich. Wish us luck.
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #46
Just as confused as you

Just received the following email from Wilderness Campground in Montello, WI.

03.24.2020- UPDATE REGARDING THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) and WILDERNESS CAMPGROUND

Hello Campers from your Wilderness Campground Family,

In compliance with the Executive Order #12 Safer at Home Order, we are pushing our opening day back to Friday, April 24.This also means we will not be allowing anyone to walk in at this time. The final seasonal payment is still due on or before April 1st. We understand these are hard times for everyone, and we will continue to do our best to make sure camping at Wilderness Campground is, as always, safe for everyone.

Seasonals, to make up for the late opening, we will extend the season by (1) week in the fall. For those with reservations for the weekend of April 17-19, we will be contacting you with your options.

We will continue to keep you posted, as it seems the situation can change day to day as time goes on. Please, bear with us as we continue to navigate these unique circumstances the best we can.

As of right now, we will only be allowing self-contained camping units until May 20, 2020. A self-contained camping unit is defined as a recreational vehicle such as a motor home, travel trailer, fifth wheel and some pop-ups that include a toilet, along with blackwater and greywater tanks.
We will be contacting anyone that has a reservation during that time frame that may have a tent or pop-up to discuss possible options.

Because the well being of our customers and our employees is our highest concern, we’re actively researching and implementing health and safety precautions. It will remain our top priority even after this coronavirus situation passes. No one can guarantee the prevention against the spread of the virus. But, we promise that we will be taking steps above what is currently required by the health department once our service areas are open for the season.

For those that have stayed with us before, you know our pool, shower rooms,
bathrooms and public areas are always clean and safe. It is with that same diligence we will continue to uphold the cleanliness of our facilities.

We are directing our year-round and seasonal staff not to come to work if they are showing any signs of illness or if their family members are showing any signs.

God bless, stay healthy, and as hard as it might be, follow the Safer At Home Executive Order to slow the progression of COVID-19 so that we can see all of your smiling faces soon!

Wilderness Campground & The Weiss Family
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #47
MCTroy

Ohio just closed campgrounds in tbe state parks. Anyone traveling through here better check to see what is open. We had reservations in WV at a private campground and it is closed. Good luck!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #48

So my county in NC ordered a stay in place starting tomorrow evening. We were thinking of going camping next Monday or Tuesday. Have to decide now. To those that think I'm crazy I would like to share these points. We don't eat at restaurants when we travel. The campground we are planning on going to will check me in over the phone. Our groceries will be purchased here where we live. So we won't be shopping there. How is this a bad thing? We won't contact anyone but people here can still go through restaurant drive thrus and things like that which require workers to travel and be close to each other. Just wondering how responsible camping is a bad thing.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #49

VA closed all state parks camping.
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #50
MCTroy

Going out to go camping may all be fine, until something goes wrong. Flat tire, dead battery or any of the hundreds of issues that could require someone else to come help. That is the risk I think. We are staying home to lower our risk and trying to not make anyone else go out on our behalf either.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
So my county in NC ordered a stay in place starting tomorrow evening. We were thinking of going camping next Monday or Tuesday. Have to decide now. To those that think I'm crazy I would like to share these points. We don't eat at restaurants when we travel. The campground we are planning on going to will check me in over the phone. Our groceries will be purchased here where we live. So we won't be shopping there. How is this a bad thing? We won't contact anyone but people here can still go through restaurant drive thrus and things like that which require workers to travel and be close to each other. Just wondering how responsible camping is a bad thing.

You understand that this takes 14 days for an infected person to show signs, right?

You will come in contact with others, it will happen.

How so you know the people serving your food thru that little window are not sick and touching and coughing all over your dinner.

Now you are sick and bring it home to your extended family.

Stay home, be responsible and do the right thing.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfr View Post
we have a local 'greenway' down the road from us, and suddenly there are hundreds of people there almost all day long lately - with their children, their dogs, and i've seen with picnic baskets, as well. It's great, and i suppose so many folks have 'cabin fever'... So they want to 'get out'... Makes sense.

just because they have no restraints does not make it right.

two weeks from now you will meet one of them at a local store or shop and they will infect you and your family.

so now how much sense did it make.

be safe not stupid.

but, while it's interesting to 'watch', i also dropped by my local 'bestbuy' store, which has suddenly decided to prohibit indoor shopping within their store, requiring you to 'wait in line' outside, wait to have an employee, standing at a distance just inside the barely open door, to discuss what you 'need', and then go get it for you - all while you wait outside with all the other 'people' -- isn't that simply causing all the 'people' to congregate when they wouldn't have had to otherwise!???!? Crazy. True. Unbelievable.

selfish people will cause this to be prolonged for everyone.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #53

So what should someone do if they have been quarantined for a week, and now they need groceries? Should they sit at home and die from starvation? Or should they be "stupid" and "selfish" and take a trip to the grocery store? Please dont tell us they are allowed to go to the grocery store. Taking a trip to a store, where people could be sick, or where a sick person could have been would be selfish and stupid. Maybe they need to now stop for gas on the way to the store. Oh my, the horror, someone might have been sick and used that gas pump. You cant make exceptions, right, so that puts us all in a major box here... I know, you just order the groceries online. Oh wait, the person shopping for you might be sick. You can see where this is going. We are living in a moment in time where we need to all adjust. But we cant just stop society from living. We can limit society (and we have, dramatically). We can try to take every possible precaution (and we have). But thats it. It is not possible to stop the world for 3 weeks and tell the entire country that nobody leaves their house for any reason. Its not possible.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #54

I ordered groceries online once and it was an okay experience. We placed the order and got a pickup date about 6 days from the order.
I tried again yesterday and there are NO pickup dates available. I changed the store location to 5 different stores and got the same response - NO pick up times available.
So next week we will have to go to the store and shop in person. No other option.
We do not need fuel as we have 2 vehicles with almost full fuel tanks.
No matter what we will need groceries.
So if you are hard core and stay locked in your home for the next 5 weeks you will likely starve.
Take your pick, go buy groceries or starve.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I ordered groceries online once and it was an okay experience. We placed the order and got a pickup date about 6 days from the order.
I tried again yesterday and there are NO pickup dates available. I changed the store location to 5 different stores and got the same response - NO pick up times available.
So next week we will have to go to the store and shop in person. No other option.
We do not need fuel as we have 2 vehicles with almost full fuel tanks.
No matter what we will need groceries.
So if you are hard core and stay locked in your home for the next 5 weeks you will likely starve.
Take your pick, go buy groceries or starve.
We also just tried the online grocery experience last week for the first time. We quite enjoyed it. Ordered, they shopped for us. We showed up at the store when they said to show up, called the number they said to call, and in 3 minutes someone was out there with our groceries. BUT, there is still risk involved in that. Which is my overall point. Our "new normal" for now, is to limit risk. We cant eliminate risk, we can only limit the risk. If everyone is limiting the risk as best they can, I cant complain about that. Its the people that arent limiting risk, arent being smart, etc. They are the problem. Going to a campground 15 miles from my house (bringing all needed supplies), presents less risk, less interaction with people, etc, than going shopping at my local grocery store.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #56

Before all this virus stuff we ate out a lot, even when camping. Wife likes to cook at home and I do too but I also like to travel. I have never had any problems with my Cedar Creek that I couldnít fix, I have a brand new 3500 Silverado. Hopefully we are going to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach SC in early April and then to Topeka IN. Iím planning on taking enough food so we donít have to visit Walmart for food. I buy gas but I always use my credit card and pay at the pump. Plus I have a 100 gallon auxiliary tank so I donít stop for fuel often. Same way paying for campground, the fees are already paid for and I know my site number. I have less interaction on the road than I do at home. I have been to Walmart twice this week and my local grocery store twice, looking for food items. I have been around five hundred people so far this week. So I can stay on the road and be around less people.
travlinon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
We also just tried the online grocery experience last week for the first time. We quite enjoyed it. Ordered, they shopped for us. We showed up at the store when they said to show up, called the number they said to call, and in 3 minutes someone was out there with our groceries. BUT, there is still risk involved in that. Which is my overall point.
It's a very limited risk. My wife and I have been using the walmart grocery pickup for about a year now. It works great.

I've heard they changed it now where the person bringing your stuff out can sign on your behalf so you don't even have to roll down your window much less get out of your car.

The only problem with it now is that everyone is doing it and they are out of soo much stuff.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #58

I just got $250 worth of groceries delivered yesterday, by Kroger. When I made my shopping list, there were NO available pickup times. BUT, delivery WAS an option. It was 3 days in future, but I chose it. And they delivered on time.

I am guessing (?) that they cannot get enough workers to man both the Pickup Lane AND also make deliveries. Also, I think they (or Kroger at least) doesn't want their folks interacting with people, even if the people are sitting in their car. That's a guess.

But delivery for $10, plus a tip to driver, is awesome and we're stocked for weeks to come now. Milk and Bread won't last forever, but we have plenty for now due to the Delivery option.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestylers View Post
Unlike the flu, covid 19 more contaginous, no vaccine yet, that is big difference more sink overloading health system.

I agree. However every time I read posts complaining about restrictions on travel, closure of campgrounds, etc, it reminds me of some of the lyrics in an old Kris Kristofferson song (To Beat the Devil)

Quote:
If you waste your time a talking
To the people who don't listen
To the things that you are saying
Who do you thinks gonna hear?
And if you should die explaining how
The things that they complain about
Are things they could be changing
Who do you thinks gonna care?/
I think a lot of people have the mindset that nothing will happen to them. And that may well be the case----------right up to the point that it does. Some will find themselves contracting the virus, some might be passing the virus on without knowing, and sadly we won't know for sure who the affected people are.

Right now things are pretty voluntary but if the situation worsens, "voluntary" goes out the window.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
So what should someone do if they have been quarantined for a week, and now they need groceries? Should they sit at home and die from starvation? Or should they be "stupid" and "selfish" and take a trip to the grocery store? Please dont tell us they are allowed to go to the grocery store. Taking a trip to a store, where people could be sick, or where a sick person could have been would be selfish and stupid. Maybe they need to now stop for gas on the way to the store. Oh my, the horror, someone might have been sick and used that gas pump. You cant make exceptions, right, so that puts us all in a major box here... I know, you just order the groceries online. Oh wait, the person shopping for you might be sick. You can see where this is going. We are living in a moment in time where we need to all adjust. But we cant just stop society from living. We can limit society (and we have, dramatically). We can try to take every possible precaution (and we have). But thats it. It is not possible to stop the world for 3 weeks and tell the entire country that nobody leaves their house for any reason. Its not possible.

And that mentality right there is the problem. Don't be foolish. Do what is necessary to live and that is all. Is camping necessary? People just like you will be the reason this last longer then it has to. Just by you using all those silly examples tells me you know you are wrong. Follow what your heart tells you to do. If it tells you to put your family at risk, then do it.