Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 11:48 PM   #141

just stay home its not worth it. you need to think about the local area. what if you are sick right now. being that extra person in the area will put even more stress on the medical services that are in that area. here we are being told dont even go to your second home because of limited resources in the county our campsite is in
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 AM   #142

We purchased our motor home 03/19/2020 with plans to travel only 20 miles to wonderful 60 sites Kissimmee River (FL State Park) . All State parks closed soon after we purchased

We live in a senior mobile home park (120 homes) with RV park attached (120 sites). Used to be a KOA back in the day. Still have pointed roof office and bath house.

We store our new motor home on a pad within park about 2 blocks from our mobile home and enjoy tinkering with it most mornings before our temps hit highs.

So, this is how we deal with not being able to get out YET. As an option, our RV dealer, 10 miles from us in Bartow, offers full hook up sites for customers, so we just might go there to shake her out. Please use caution everyone and be safe.

Jerry
Old 03-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #143

We bought our first tow behind camper mid last summer and we decided to lease a space at a semi-local campground for April 15 2020 to Oct 15 2020 at a pre-paid cost of $1850. I have paid this as of early February.

So here is my rub. Pennsylvania is in a state of lock down, I know that April and May are already out, likely some or all of June as well. So half of the time that I pre-paid the $1850 for is going to be blocked legally.

Should I try to get a pro-rated portion of my money back, or does the park owner deserve my money because this is out of his control? Maybe I should expect next year to get a half year comped to me?

What would you do in this situation? We never planned to leave the camper there for every day of the 6 months because we have 2 trips planned up here in the North/East and a 2 week Disney trip planned to Florida where we would be taking the Camper. But now... If I had known all of this mess was coming I would have never paid the $1850! That was literally a waste at this point because April, May and June are legally shot, July the Camper needs to be up in Franklin Pa, August/September it would be back at the park aside from pulling it for Jeep events (4 day weekends, 3 couples in the camper rather than at hotels), and October in Florida and then back home to storage.

I really get screwed in this deal. At best 2 months of part time use at the campground for $1,850 plus electric. I should have not done this and just slotted into a regional KOA or even at this same place but in a transient spot for $45 a day.

https://www.buttercup.org/

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Old 03-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I'm curious - those of you on this forum who are making a career out of browbeating and belittling and shouting down everyone that you think is not taking the whole thing seriously enough.....

Have you changed anyone's mind? Anyone? Even one?

You *do* realize that these are, for the most part, anonymous strangers who can literally say anything?

Anyone here could say they are going camping. - just to get a rise out of you - and then stay home. You would never know.

Anyone here could say that they are staying home - so they don't have to deal with the superior attitude - and then go camping. You would never know.

Anyone here could say nothing - and then either go camping or stay home. You would never know.

I realize that I am relatively new here, but I am completely sick of every thread devolving into this. I'm really not clear on why the site team allows it to continue, other than possibly because many of the most vocal seem to be "regulars" who benefit from different rules.

I am pretty sure that "personal attacks" was pretty prominent in the list of no-no's that I had to agree to when I registered. How about you?

The purpose is to give our individual opinions, personal perspective and point of view. I guess if we were clones belonging to the collective we would all have the same outlook. What is your point?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #145

Back on topic, we are booked for Destin West at the end of April. They have altered their cancellation policy to allow for a cheaper cancellation up to the day before check-in. We're holding our plans for now, but, know that we may need to cancel. We'll see what the next 3 weeks hold.

In my opinion, outdoor activities and camping should be fine, with caution. Obviously, there are things to consider with using common areas, extra fuel ups of being on the road, etc. IF we go on this trip, it will be after 6 weeks of self-isolation. We'll feel good about ourselves not bringing anything with us.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #146

I have seen campgrounds that state that you need to have a camper with bathrooms etc. if you want to stay. No pop ups or tents since facilities are closed.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #147
JCR

Out doors is the safest place to be. The real problem is with social proximity(crowds) and indoor areas of common and prolific visitation. The govt should encourage camping with the caveat of social distancing and avoiding mass congregations.Unless they can develop a vaccine this is unlikely to go away anytime soon.Younger and middle aged folks should not have a problem but older folks and people with chronic conditions or compromised immune systems are at serious risk. Funny at a time when social security is overburdened, the ones who are overburdening it are the ones being killed off. Food for thought..
Old 03-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #148
Site Team

A few thoughts from one of the site team--

Normally we make thread "corrections" in the back room or via private msg but I am writing to you all and especially Qwkynuf.
It's not only hospitals and grocery stores that are being stressed these days. We site team have our lives to take care of and don't have time to read every single post, every single day.
We do our best to be fair and equal handed when it comes to keeping posts within the site guidelines.
Sometimes we mess up.
Sometimes we miss one or two.
Sometimes we get tired of tamping down the hot heads among us!

We ask you to PLEASE consider this- if you are tempted to post a rant-don't.
IF you are tempted to point fingers remember the cheezy saying "when you point a finger at someone, there are three fingers in your hand pointing back at you".

Just calm down. Remember the be nice rule.
If you see a post that's a blatant offense then hit the report button and don't jump in the fray.

AND please remember we're human too. If you call out the site team in the open forum- it does cause us to look more closely at you.....

Be safe.
Stay home as much as possible.
Keep an eye on your neighbors especially if they are older or more vulnerable.
If this forum makes you angry reading it then you should definitely WALK AWAY from the keyboard!!

Peace & Love,
Dan & Rita in Kentucky
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #149

Made res after

We made reservations for 4/19-23 at our favorite private campground after receiving an email from them stating that they were considered "essential" by the state of PA. But there are guidelines they must follow. All contact with owners will not be in person. Closed restrooms, means only self contained rvs allowed. People must practice social distancing. The campground is in a remote county of PA so there are not many there on a normal trip. Were going.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Normally we make thread "corrections" in the back room or via private msg but I am writing to you all and especially Qwkynuf.
It's not only hospitals and grocery stores that are being stressed these days. We site team have our lives to take care of and don't have time to read every single post, every single day.
We do our best to be fair and equal handed when it comes to keeping posts within the site guidelines.
Sometimes we mess up.
Sometimes we miss one or two.
Sometimes we get tired of tamping down the hot heads among us!

We ask you to PLEASE consider this- if you are tempted to post a rant-don't.
IF you are tempted to point fingers remember the cheezy saying "when you point a finger at someone, there are three fingers in your hand pointing back at you".

Just calm down. Remember the be nice rule.
If you see a post that's a blatant offense then hit the report button and don't jump in the fray.

AND please remember we're human too. If you call out the site team in the open forum- it does cause us to look more closely at you.....

Be safe.
Stay home as much as possible.
Keep an eye on your neighbors especially if they are older or more vulnerable.
If this forum makes you angry reading it then you should definitely WALK AWAY from the keyboard!!

Peace & Love,
Dan & Rita in Kentucky
Thanks Dan ....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 03-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I'm curious - those of you on this forum who are making a career out of browbeating and belittling and shouting down everyone that you think is not taking the whole thing seriously enough.....
Have you changed anyone's mind? Anyone? Even one?
You *do* realize that these are, for the most part, anonymous strangers who can literally say anything?
Anyone here could say they are going camping. - just to get a rise out of you - and then stay home. You would never know.
Anyone here could say that they are staying home - so they don't have to deal with the superior attitude - and then go camping. You would never know.
Anyone here could say nothing - and then either go camping or stay home. You would never know.
I realize that I am relatively new here, but I am completely sick of every thread devolving into this. I'm really not clear on why the site team allows it to continue, other than possibly because many of the most vocal seem to be "regulars" who benefit from different rules.
I am pretty sure that "personal attacks" was pretty prominent in the list of no-no's that I had to agree to when I registered. How about you?
Just the way it is sometimes. Occasionally we can all be too passionate about something, especially when its serious in nature, like this pandemic. At the beginning of this thread I was trying to make a point that limiting risk is all anyone can do. Because it is only a matter of time before you need to go someplace. 14 days of isolation is great, until you need to go to the grocery store... Then what? Or you have the groceries delivered, but that is dang near as risky as going to the store. The person who shopped for you, spends 8 hours a day in a store that almost certainly has sick people (who dont yet know they are sick) shopping around them. I was clearly being a little bit of a wise guy, or atleast I thought it was clear, but also that point cant be argued. Any contact with a stranger is presenting risk, who disagrees with that? I followed with, what I thought was a pretty obvious tongue in cheek comment that being isolated camping would be safer than being in a grocery store with dozens of other potentially sick people. I did not say I was camping, or approved of camping, or that I am going camping, etc. I became the poster child for the worlds dumbest people. I am not condoning travel of any kind. I fully support shelter in place, and that is what we have been doing. But simply pointing out the opposite view, immediately means you are engaging in that behavior, and thus you are stupid and risking the lives of millions. There is definitely a "you are either with us or against us" vibe in many of the threads on this site. Unfortunate, but whatever. By pointing out the opposite view, I became a member of the "against us" crowd. Then I tried to clarify, to relieve the tension, and again I was attacked for my stupidity, when in reality, I am of the same point of view. But the attack mode was engaged at that point so there was going to be no common ground even though we shared the same opinion. I dared to not fall in line. So I just left the thread for a few days, and came back to see how far off the rails we went. Life is too short to argue on the internet. I thought I was about to engage in a fun back and forth (a little devils advocate exchange, because I dont actually support the side I was arguing for), but clearly it was far too "hot button topic" for tongue in cheek banter, etc. What can you do?

Thank you Site Team for keeping us on topic and in line with the subject at hand. Sometimes we all need a little reminder that it isnt the Wild West in here. Apologies for participating in some of the contentious back and forth

Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I have a long weekend camping trip planned for Easter weekend at Mama Gerties near Ashville, NC...I called the other day and was told currently it's business as normal for them of course something can change between now and April 10th the day I am scheduled to leave.

Were located about 90 miles away so I can make it round trip on a tank of gas and our plan was to just relax at the site and use are own facilities (Full hookup site) and social distancing.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about the private campgrounds that are open and if there are people still considering going to or are they throwing in the towel now and canceling ?

UPDATE.....Well it's not business as normal at Mama Gerties Campground they are now closed for business. I am waiting to get a call back so my options can be explained....

Funny thing was last week they were open and my thought with everything going on with the virus I was going to cancel the trip and they told me since they were open and I didn't cancel within 30 days of my reservation I would lose my deposit However, If I rescheduled the reservation to a later date I wouldn't so now that they are shut down I'm wondering if they will just give me a full refund or not or offer me a later date.

I canceled another reservation I had for the weekend of May 8th and the said campground told me I would lose my deposit if I wanted a full refund or would issue me a rain check good for one year so I wouldn't lose $61 one night charge...I took the rain check it really didn't leave me with much of an option

I guess what urkes me to some degree is that these campgrounds are closed and I can't go but don't offer me the option of a full refund.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 03-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #153
Site Team

If a campground closes and blocks your reservation they owe you a full refund.
Period.
I don't see how there can be any argument there. I would not settle for any "one year" nonsense. They closed.
They owe you.
If you charged the reservation perhaps you can seek relief from your credit card company.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #154
Site Team

OK, closing this thread before more site guidelines are broken. Fixing to delete many...and I mean many posts that are against the guidelines.

This thread will not be reopened.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread