Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

Pneumonia Vaccination ----

First off I'm not a Dr nor did I ever play one on TV so this isn't medical advice.

That said, as i read about the deaths caused by Covid19 there seems to be a common thread, many if not most patients are dying due to pneumonia as a complication of the illness. To me logic says one might well stack the deck in their favor if they have had a pneumonia vaccination or get one as soon as possible. According to the CDC the vaccine(s) can be as effective as 75% in adults. Considering the stakes, those are great odds.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pne...lic/index.html

My Dr recommended the vaccine several years ago and I just went to my local Walmart for it. If there are those here who haven't been vaccinated for Pneumonia, it might not be a bad idea, especially in these times.

In my mind I may get sick as heck if I contract the virus but a have a 75 out of 100 chance of not dying from pneumonia.

Just sharing a thought.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

Couldn't hurt, but it only protects against certain types of bacterial pneumonia.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

I think this is a different type of Pneumonia or it would have been widely publicized. I've has it as well so I hope there is some truth to your theory
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Couldn't hurt, but it only protects against certain types of bacterial pneumonia.

True but Prevnar 13 protects against 13 types and Pneumovax23 against 23 types.

Certainly better than being protected against NONE.

If one is on Medicare it's paid for and takes only a few minutes at any pharmacy that accepts medicare payments.

Back to logic, if it's free, and could possibly mitigate the effects of a Covid19 infection why not.

I got mine before all this uproar. As I got older I just thought it would be a good idea, period. Today it might be a GREAT idea.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

I actually had the same idea last week and encouraged my wife (who has risk factors) to get the vaccine which she did at our local pharmacy. Generally they only give it for the 60+ crowd but it is listed for use in others with risk factors. I wonder if any actual doctors would like to weigh in on this idea, seems wise to me.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

If in the high risk groups, stay out doctor's offices as long as you can. When you do go, get all the latest vaccines and tetanus.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
If in the high risk groups, stay out doctor's offices as long as you can. When you do go, get all the latest vaccines and tetanus.
A lot of vaccines are administered by Pharmacy's now rather than Dr's offices. A less expensive delivery method as Dr's offices don't have to stock vaccines that have limited shelf lives, and Dr's offices only serving a relatively small portion of the population compared with a Pharmacy.

Also, sick people make up the larger portion of a Dr's "clientele". Pharmacies on the other hand don't have as large a problem.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #8

Got my 2nd follow up last week. You get the 13 1st then after a year you get the 23. 1 year required between the two. I hope it's never needed.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #9

I got the 13 last year, pharmacy was out of the 23 when I checked a few months ago. I also think they said there was something more effective, but also out of stock at that time. Was thinking about checking with them again, but DH went yesterday for his blood stabbers and they have closed the lobby, working via their drive through.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

I've had both the pneumonia vaccines as well since I have an incurable lung disease related to many years of defense work with beryllium. Also, my wife and I are updating our shingles vaccine which is now a two-step procedure. Expensive but I don't EVER want shingles. Have had too many relatives suffer from that plague.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I've had both the pneumonia vaccines as well since I have an incurable lung disease related to many years of defense work with beryllium. Also, my wife and I are updating our shingles vaccine which is now a two-step procedure. Expensive but I don't EVER want shingles. Have had too many relatives suffer from that plague.
I've never suffered from shingles but I have suffered from relatives several times.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #12

Also not a doctor. This was brought up on a TV news show. The TV doc said it would not help for China Virus issues. Still not a bad idea to get the vaccine, I've had mine.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A lot of vaccines are administered by Pharmacy's now rather than Dr's offices. A less expensive delivery method as Dr's offices don't have to stock vaccines that have limited shelf lives, and Dr's offices only serving a relatively small portion of the population compared with a Pharmacy.

Also, sick people make up the larger portion of a Dr's "clientele". Pharmacies on the other hand don't have as large a problem.
Well, at least around here and depending on the time of day, there is usually a line waiting for prescriptions and most are coughing, sneezing, or sniffling.

The point is that, to the extent possible,, one should stay away from all places medical for as long as possible. The odds of catching something are higher in such places than in the general public.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Best to have had pnemonia as well as the Flu vaccine. Better to have your immunity higher for both of those to begin with.

The problem with getting the flu right now is that it compromises your overall health as well as a possible worry you may have the covid virus. Even if the flu shot was only 50% effective this year, better than 0% which is what you have with no vaccine. Simply amazing to me that only 48% of Americans do not get the flu vaccine.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Best to have had pnemonia as well as the Flu vaccine. Better to have your immunity higher for both of those to begin with.

The problem with getting the flu right now is that it compromises your overall health as well as a possible worry you may have the covid virus. Even if the flu shot was only 50% effective this year, better than 0% which is what you have with no vaccine. Simply amazing to me that only 48% of Americans do not get the flu vaccine.
x2. It just as much about trying to keep one's self healthy as it is about not getting sick and infecting others.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post

It does boggle the mind.

My Dr saw to it that both my late wife and I got our annual flu shots Even to the point of if one of us had an appointment with him in the fall, his nurse saw to it that BOTH of us got it at the same time.

As for the Pneumonia vaccine, I checked today and I've had the whole series.

What's sad is that for such an advanced society we live in, some are so ill informed and stubborn. They'll get their pets vaccinated for all the risks they face but won't get vaccinated themselves or vaccinate their kids.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #17

I have had all the vaccines discussed above. None of them will have ANY affect on Covid.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
I have had all the vaccines discussed above. None of them will have ANY affect on Covid.
I don't think anyone in this thread suggested the vaccines would prevent Covid19. Just that it might be a good idea to be immunized so that there is less chance one who does contract the virus doesn't also develop pneumonia. Like many viral infections it's not necessarily the virus itself that kills, it's the pulmonary infections that are deadly, pneumonia being #1 on that list.

If I recall correctly a heath official in Italy stated that many, if not most, deaths involved Interstitial pneumonia.

Draw your own conclusions. Or not.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #19

My conclusion is that you are entirely correct. Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread suggested the vaccines would prevent Covid19. Just that it might be a good idea to be immunized so that there is less chance one who does contract the virus doesn't also develop pneumonia. Like many viral infections it's not necessarily the virus itself that kills, it's the pulmonary infections that are deadly, pneumonia being #1 on that list.

If I recall correctly a heath official in Italy stated that many, if not most, deaths involved Interstitial pneumonia.

Draw your own conclusions. Or not.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #20

What happens when you get the flu and in the process of recovering, your respiratory system is compromised. Don't you think you would be in a better place health wise if you weren't in this compromised condition if you happened to get exposed to coronavirus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
babock is offline   Reply With Quote